Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Downloadable US Maps ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Downloadable US Maps ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Maps, Routes and Waypoints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martin99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Downloadable US Maps ? Reply with quote

I remember Dave Burrows saying in a review (of a Navman 3300 I think ) he downloaded USGS maps free of charge. Do you have a link for that site because

http://topomaps.usgs.gov/drg/

shows a min charge of $50 plus maps.Have I missed something or is that "free" when compared to the UK OS charges Question
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that UKOS (or OSGB if u prefer) is not funded directly by UK taxpayer. However, I asked for clearance or explanation why UK citizens receive no preferential treatment given that present OSGB is under government remit and government minister to provide services to UK citizens

Apparently OSGB is self-financing on sales, etc ... - I bet it is an arms length managabement organisation too.

If I have the time I will see if I can get my hands on their constitutional documents (mem & arts of association) But don't hold your breath - I tend to be quite busy most of the time

the bagal has landed Happy
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops - please forgive the typos above and the missed comment:
OSGB have a remit to deliver to UK citizens & organisations and has government contract to deliver. Probably public - private arrangement or summat.

The point is why should UK citizens have to pay full whack or not receive any extra benefits attached to UK citizenship over purchasers who are not UK citozens

It's late - if the above seems rambled it probably is ...
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh Dear!!!

Another bout of OS bashing coming on here.

OS are very much government funded. We pay for the maps that are then sold back to us the taxpayers. I wont go into this too much as I already have had many heated exchanges with the OS guys. David and Goliath at play here and this time David does not win.

That is moving away from the main question being the FREE USGS maps. And by the way it was me that said it.

To a certain extent it depends where you live or want to visit what is available. Much of the country is accessable for free, but Murphy's law states that the bit you want to visit isnt.

The bast starting place when looking for these maps is the University of Texas Maps. Another great resource is http://www.doylesdartden.com/gis/

Not forgetting Google of course searching for "Florida DRG" or "Florida USGS" are good searches.
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moi? Bash the OSGB?

No - merely a quastion of establishing whether the present preactise is meeting the strategic aims

I am sure it is - but it is nice to be sure Smile
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find it fascinating that the UK Government (no matter which party gets elected) always manages to double and triple tax the population and then double that whenever they possibly can.

Wonder how much funding OS gets from the government ?
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that government direct grants to OSGB total = 0

That the present funding has a commercial basis

I do like to look into these details - partly because there is importance attached to the specifics.
Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Maps, Routes and Waypoints All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: