Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A few 720 questions...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A few 720 questions...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyHall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: A few 720 questions... Reply with quote

Hello,

For some unknown reason I threw caution aside and bought a TomTom 720. There was nothing wrong with my ageing Navman 520; well, reasonably priced map updates would've been good! But time and technology move on. I actually really like my new TT but I'm not sure I can rationalise the extra expenditure, over a TT One, for what amounts to better design and software...but then I'm a Mac user so that argument has failed a few times Very Happy and I like being proactive about map inaccuracies rather than just moaning about them!

Anyway, my questions...

1 - Is there anyway to switch off the voiced directions but keep audible warnings for speed cameras? Maybe by using silent voice files?

2 - Is there a source of better quality P-GPS-W speed camera icons? The current ones look very 'jaggy' when displayed, as they are up-sized from the 20x20 pixel image files. I can make my own, but if there are some already out there then I won't waste my time.

3 - I assume that if I make a backup SD card, the TT will happily boot up from it if the internal memory gets corrupted? (I've read about other people's woes with SD cards on this forum, but is the theory sound?)

4 - Does the POI Capture utility work on these new models?

I'd like to thank everyone for such an excellent resource of information in these forums.

Cheers,
Tony
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/ Don't select the 'Warn only if POI on Route' when setting up each of the speed cameras, then just use 'Clear Route' you will still get the warnings but no route information, the other method is to install and select a silent voice, but then you loose the excellent Text To Speech.
2/ The POI bmp files should be 22x22 and I don't seem to experience the jagged edges on the icons, perhaps you could detail exactly which database you have installed, or have you got the TomTom cameras still loaded with their strange Chinese take away shop style icons?
3/ As the 720 uses the SD to supplement the onboard memory I am not too sure two versions of the software on a single device would work, if you keep a full back up on the PC it can allways be re-installed - something to try when I get a large enough card that works with the device.
4/ No it does not currently work and as TomTom have withdrawn SDK support from the software I doubt you will get it working as it currently stands
- Mike
TonyHall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for taking the time to reply Mike, much appreciated. Good advice.
mikealder wrote:
2/ The POI bmp files should be 22x22 and I don't seem to experience the jagged edges on the icons, perhaps you could detail exactly which database you have installed, or have you got the TomTom cameras still loaded with their strange Chinese take away shop style icons?

I'm using the latest Pocket GPS World database. Here are a couple of quick and dirty screen shots, I don't know how to post pics but I'll give it a try - fingers crossed!

Full screen - look at the top left icon.

Close up shot of icon, compare the speed icon with the anti-aliased icons and text generated by TT

I hope they give you an idea.

Thanks again for any advice.

Cheers,
Tony
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4) try the experimental 1.0 version of POICapture. It might just work (somehow). But as mikealder was saying, TomTom are actively trying to prevent third party programs from running meaningful on their devices.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve not yet handled any of the new TomTom x20 range, I have to say that the 720 looks very nice, and especially as it has the Text To Speech of the 910.

May I hijack this thread and ask a question?

TonyHall wrote:
Close up shot of icon, compare the speed icon with the anti-aliased icons and text generated by TT

In the above picture, below the Proximity Alert for the 40 mph Fixed camera there is a green arrow. What does the green arrow do or mean?

Thanks.
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I can help with a couple of these issues:

1. Privateer, the green arrow is the "Quick menu". You can add one item to the menu (such as "Add favourite") and you just get that icon on screen. If you add more than one item to the menu, you get that arrow. Tapping it takes you to a menu screen with just the icons you asked for. Very handy!

My only niggle is that with "Add Favourite", it doesn't give you the chance to name the Favourite (presumably for safety reasons).

2. Tony, the Go range originally used 22x22 pixel 8-bit colour for the icons
As far as I'm aware, the icons still need to be 22x22 but for some time now, the whole range has been able to use 24 bit colour so the anti-aliasing/jagged edges can look better.
I've noticed this when making an icon with a single letter in the middle.
I was doing it in "text" to get the shape and then carefully converting it to just black or white pixels. Eventually found I didn't need to any more!
The PGPSW sped cam icons are still 8 bit I think.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

Andy_P2002 wrote:
1. Privateer, the green arrow is the "Quick menu". You can add one item to the menu (such as "Add favourite") and you just get that icon on screen. If you add more than one item to the menu, you get that arrow. Tapping it takes you to a menu screen with just the icons you asked for. Very handy!

Many thanks for the explanation! Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try loading the TomTom camera files back on the device and you will see two different icons being used, the one displayed on the map is a representation of a fixed Gatso camera but to me looks like Chinese symbols - too small, the other icon containing the actual red ring and speed appears top left and is very smooth in appearance, I will try again later to see if the bmp image can be improved BUT the bmp icon has to work with all TomTom products, not just the x20 series. - Mike
TonyHall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I will try again later to see if the bmp image can be improved BUT the bmp icon has to work with all TomTom products, not just the x20 series.

Unfortunately I haven't had time to play with image files yet, but you know what you're doing (I'll just be tinkering in the dark) so anything you discover would be much appreciated.

I agree that the bmp images must remain compatible with the whole TomTom range, but if we can improve the display on just x20 devices then it's not rocket science for x20 users to install an alternative set of bmp files themselves.

Many thanks for all your help.

Cheers,
Tony
orainsear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where about are the images for the built in TomTom safety camera stored? I've had a look but I can't find them.

Also the same question for the built in TomTom poi icons.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are hard coded into the data files that make up the software.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:

The images are actually hard coded into the executable.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Oldboy wrote:

The images are actually hard coded into the executable.
Close. Wink

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: