Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PRESS RELEASE: TomTom Go
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PRESS RELEASE: TomTom Go
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a4ace wrote:
i wonder how it can keep GPS connection in tunnels Question

See my above post!

Yahweh wrote:
I wonder if the SD Card is embedded or removable?

Removable

Yahweh wrote:
I wonder what size SD Card the device comes with. If I was to add the maps of another country using the USB interface, would the in-built card be big enough to take it or can I buy a bigger card and stick it in?

Although we don't have the information yet, I would have to say 256mb. MRE is around 88mb so that plus a country set would take you over a 128mb card.

Yahweh wrote:
II wouldn't be suprised if "Mega Huge" SD cards are announced at CeBit; please get the team to keep an eye out for that kind of thing Thumbs Up

They're checking it out, but even if they're announced it'll probably be a whlie before they're affordable!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PocketGPSWorld.com team had a good look at the new TomTom Go all-in-one navigation system at CeBit, and these are the findings:-

- TomTom Go has an internal chargeable battery that is good for 5-6 hours use outside a vehicle, allowing you to take TomTom Go with you and still use it!

- Interaction with TomTom Go is via the touch screen ONLY.

- TomTom Go has a two plane acceleration sensor with no moving parts unlike conventional gyro systems. The sensor will be good enough for several hundred meters so TomTom Go can continue to work when GPS signals are not available (for example in tunnels with exits).

- The case was designed by a sound engineer, so Voice Guidance can be heard over engine noise

- TomTom will be looking to supply plug 'n' go SD cards

Last edited by Dave on Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
- TomTom Go has a two plane acceleration sensor with no moving parts unlike conventional gyro systems. The sensor will be good enough for several hundred meters so TomTom Go can continue to work when GPS signals are not available.

i hope tomtom or someone could come up with a bluetooth gps receiver with this. could be like the delou, no batteries, just wired.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any news on speed camera detection add ins like checkpoint or something similar?

Also what will this do to the pricing of the garmin and navman units - they now look very expensive.
Dodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've seen any speculation on how much the 'Go' will cost? I wish it had been available before I bought my iPAQ 4150, TTN2 and Fortuna BT clipon. It (the TomTom Go)looks like a much cleaner solution Sad

I'll start the speculation at £599

Dave.
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodgy wrote:
I don't think I've seen any speculation on how much the 'Go' will cost?

I'll start the speculation at £599.

The TomTom Web Site says Euro 799, including VAT.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently neither 'go' nor the PalmOS version support custom POIs. We discussed this with TomTom whilst at Cebit and they have assured us that they are working on an update which will bring these to the PalmOS version although it has not been confirmed whether the same will apply to 'Go'.

It's difficult to explain just how 'cute' the unit is, it's small and compact, has a lovely and loud speaker, all the connections to power, external antenna and in-car speakers (if fitted) etc are in the mount and it's built in two plane accelerometers will ensure you retain guidance when in tunnels or urban canyons etc.

For those not interested in PDA's and looking for a simple easy to use SatNav solution this is the answer!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iancjc wrote:
any news on speed camera detection add ins like checkpoint or something similar?

Unfortunately no support initially. The Palm version and TomTom Go do not support customisable POI's. There's no date set to add custom POI's to these products yet (atleast no public date)

iancjc wrote:
Also what will this do to the pricing of the garmin and navman units - they now look very expensive.

Not sure, several Garmin distributors I have been talking to reckon the prices will stay the same, but I think this is going to give Garmin and Navman a lot more competition. If people can see for just under £600 they can get a similar system to the Garmin or Navman, with rich 3D maps and everything they want for nearly half the price, then I'm sure most new users would go for the cheaper option. The only thing I would say is TomTom Go only has Major Roads of Europe (MRE) and not complete European maps. Also compare it to the Garmin where the Garmin is fully waterproof and can be used on a bike in pooring rain, I think Garmin will probably still hold it's price for a while, I guess it depends on how much TomTom cut into their sales. Same for Navman.
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
a4ace wrote:
i wonder how it can keep GPS connection in tunnels Question

See my above post!

sorry dave, i thought you said tomtom go has no gyro, and i took tomtom's statement verbatim when they said it 'keeps' gps connection in tunnels, when in reality, it has lost gps connection and just relying on its accelerometers.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yahweh wrote:
TomTom Go under the hood has a 200 Mhz processor running Palm OS and 32mb RAM using maps on an SD card with detailed country maps and Major European Roads and an integrated GPS antenna

I wonder if the SD Card is embedded or removable? I wonder what size SD Card the device comes with. If I was to add the maps of another country using the USB interface, would the in-built card be big enough to take it or can I buy a bigger card and stick it in?

I wouldn't be suprised if "Mega Huge" SD cards are announced at CeBit; please get the team to keep an eye out for that kind of thing
Thumbs Up

Who said that the Go was based on a Palm OS. Whilst we were at CeBIT TomTom told us that it is based on a PocketPC NOT Palm. TomTom have a new platform independent Navigation engine and this has been used for the Tungsten T3, Go and the Phone editions.

As far as the SD card is concerned it is removeable and in theory can be of any size. We visited SanDisk and as far as I know there is nothing larger than 1GB about at the moment.

If you order the UK version then this will come fully installed on a 128Mb card Germany comes on a 256Mb card. Additional maps will normally come on a SD card and you literally jusst plug it in.

There is no activation required for this platform as the maps are tied to the serial number of the SD card, so as a word of warning dont reformat the card or try to install the maps to another card.
lostnfound
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:

- TomTom Go has a two plane acceleration sensor with no moving parts unlike conventional gyro systems. The sensor will be good enough for several hundred meters so TomTom Go can continue to work when GPS signals are not available (for example in tunnels with exits).

Anyone noticed that TT2 does this already in a simple way? I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the blue arrow tracked through the Heathrow tunnel. I've seen since that it also tracks through the short tunnels on the North of the M25. It says zero satellites but it seems to work by just maintaining on the screen the same speed as when you entered the tunnel. It does the same through the Dartford tunnel but that is too long and it seems to time out after a while so you lose the track about half way through.
Dodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, does that for me through the mersey tunnel for about 500 yards or so then gets confused after that Smile

Dave.
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Shipping Reply with quote

Does anyone know when they are likly to start shipping this unit
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lostnfound

I also have seen this...

maps stay on - No Sat Signal - and blue arrow still moves etc

after a while (if its a long tunnel) the screen shows GPS unreliable and doesnt show maps (just tomtom screen etc), but for smaller tunnels it should work fine.

I thought it was something to do with the battery in the gps unit etc, but as you say tomtom must have something to do with what shows on screen etc.??? not sure how, but tomtom must calcualte speed at time of signal loss, and then give you a certain amount of meters/yards to exit the tunnel, if you are still in the tunnel after this distance then i guess it goes to the normal screen etc.

They may have already set distance calculation after signal lost in tomtom to, for example 200/400 meters etc

Not 100% sure, but makes sense to me :-)

Cheers
Nick
lostnfound
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, you may be right that it is done on distance rather than time. Is this just the normal behaviour for Tomtom or does it only do this in marked tunnels? I'm not sure.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: