Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Using Map Share to block or unblock a road
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Map Share to block or unblock a road
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to send a stranger down a unsuitable road?
That would be irresponsible. Its marked as it is for good reason.
MikeB seems to have only found it when using it to access the railway line next to it.
Andy_P2002 wrote:

This is one of my worries about Mapshare... how many villagers that have been content with submitting non-existent speed cameras are now going to try to block off their roads completely to other users?

What a good idea.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroomfondel wrote:
Why would you want to send a stranger down a unsuitable road? That would be irresponsible.

What, a road paid for by the taxpayer but kept a secret for the use of locals only?

vroomfondel wrote:
Its marked as it is for good reason.
MikeB seems to have only found it when using it to access the railway line next to it.

Actually, it's probably marked that way due to an error, rather like the one I blocked going over the London to Brighton main line. Oh, and my name is still Tim. Rolling Eyes

vroomfondel wrote:
Andy_P2002 wrote:

This is one of my worries about Mapshare... how many villagers that have been content with submitting non-existent speed cameras are now going to try to block off their roads completely to other users?

What a good idea.

What a poor idea, actually. Satnavs do not send cars, vans or any other modes of transport down unsuitable roads, into inappropriate villages or anywhere else for that matter. They are generally under the control of a driver. Said driver might decide that the road is or isn't suitable for his purpose. It is not for you to decide.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroomfondel wrote:
Why would you want to send a stranger down a unsuitable road?

Unsuitable for what? If it's a legal road then whilst it may be unsuitable for some road users it does not mean it's unsuitable for all road users.
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets make it clear I'm not an advocate for this particular road or am affected by traffic on it in any way. Its not a lot of use anyway unless you want to get to/from that particular village, so I may have used it twice this year. Currently theres deep water where it goes under the railway bridge.

Its the idea that gung-ho road unblockers could start sending un-suspecting strangers down very narrow single track roads where they will have a quite surprise that seems irresponsible.
Probably the same people who like to drive their 4x4s down bridleways.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroomfondel wrote:
Probably the same people who like to drive their 4x4s down bridleways.

Let's not get into that discussion please tarring a whole section of road users. I'm a 4x4 driver and take great pleasure in driving LEGAL byways. I drive considerately and responsibly as do a great many other 4x4 owners.

Regardless, it's not for a user to decide whether a road is suitable or not and MapShare should not be used for that purpose.
PaulBt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to select which map changes are shared and which are not?

My example is that in TTN3 I set an avoid area on the M25 between the M4 and M3, as when I usually wanted to drive on it the M3 and through Bracknell was quicker. However this is clearly not a valid blocked road, and I would not want to get a "untrusted" reputation for such a submission.

What can I do?

Cheers
Paul
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can have private changes which do not get shared and public ones that do.
uocooper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say I'm hugely disappointed by the way MapShare "blocks" a road. That's the most common cause of errors I run across but there's no way to actually block off a road at a specific location. The only time you can actually block a road properly is if you block it on both sides and keep traffic off it entirely. I have yet to need to keep cars from driving on a road but there are quite a few places where there is some kind of road block in place to keep you from driving between two roads and MapShare doesn't have a way to properly set this. For the love of Pete I hope TomTom fixes this in the next update to Navcore.

Report map errors- http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if there is no way round this, its a MAJOR flaw in the new system.
Like you, ALL the road blockages I can think of in my area are just gates, bollards, flower beds etc. installed by the council to annoy motorists. The whole of the road is still navigable, it's just the entry to it that is compromised.

I think this might be one of the parts of Mapshare that was eventually left out of the first version and will only be possible by making a report to TomTom instead of doing it yourself, maybe by multiple "cannot turn left or right onto..." reports, like this:

or this (although that was actually for motorway junctions...)
uocooper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Yes, if there is no way round this, its a MAJOR flaw in the new system.
Like you, ALL the road blockages I can think of in my area are just gates, bollards, flower beds etc. installed by the council to annoy motorists. The whole of the road is still navigable, it's just the entry to it that is compromised.

I think this might be one of the parts of Mapshare that was eventually left out of the first version and will only be possible by making a report to TomTom instead of doing it yourself, maybe by multiple "cannot turn left or right onto..." reports, like this:
Exactly. It's been reported that TomTom will be adding additional functionality to MapShare and I hope this problem with blocking roads is #1 on their list. Right behind that should be reporting turn restrictions. For now I'm using the "other" reports because it's better than nothing.

uocooper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After experimenting some more with blocked roads it seems that blocking a road in both directions does work. If you have a starting point on the road that is blocked it will still route you through where it is blocked but other routes won't use it. If the destination is located on the blocked road, it will tell you that you have reached your destination right before you reach the road and then assumes you are walking the rest of the way. This may only be a minor issue if the road you have blocked is very long and would result in the arrival time being off. It may not be perfect but it will get the job done.

amalteser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a TOMTOM1v2 which got auto-updated to include mapshare and camera reports.
But, lately now using the report button for map corrections, having tried to report them via HOME. I find that they are not there to report!
Anyone else suffering the same problem?

Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amalteser wrote:
I have a TOMTOM1v2 which got auto-updated to include mapshare and camera reports.
But, lately now using the report button for map corrections, having tried to report them via HOME. I find that they are not there to report!
Anyone else suffering the same problem?

Check your MapShare settings on the device. Every time you connect to your PC, your MapShare settings get reset and, although the 'Mark location of map error" button remains on view, it actually becomes inactive; it is mistakenly shown as "Hidden" in the MapShare settings.

So, even though you might well press the button, it does nothing! This is a known issue and has been reported to TomTom.
Ray-of-Sunshine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just upgraded my maps so I can get Mapshare, I set the preferencies to except changes made by "Myself, TomTom, POI's I subscribed too and Trusted Users" last night I added a roundabout at a junction which wasn't on the map (Or at least I thought I had)
Today it still wasn't shown neither did I get any instructions for a round about when I drove past. I also marked an error as I drove past at another location so I could add a small access road and a roundabout at a new houding developement being built. But could find out how to retreive my marked location.

Why isn't my TomTom showing map corrections I have made? and how am I supposed to review edit these marked locations I make whilst I drive along later on when I cant find any trace of a marked location?
amalteser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray-of-Sunshine wrote:
I just upgraded my maps so I can get Mapshare, I set the preferencies to except changes made by "Myself, TomTom, POI's I subscribed too and Trusted Users" last night I added a roundabout at a junction which wasn't on the map (Or at least I thought I had)
Today it still wasn't shown neither did I get any instructions for a round about when I drove past. I also marked an error as I drove past at another location so I could add a small access road and a roundabout at a new houding developement being built. But could find out how to retreive my marked location.

Why isn't my TomTom showing map corrections I have made? and how am I supposed to review edit these marked locations I make whilst I drive along later on when I cant find any trace of a marked location?

Looks like a variation on my problems, which are not improved by reactivating the hidden button.
As Tim says, it is a known issue and has been reported to TOMTOM.
Let's hope that it gets sorted soon.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: