Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio USB connection problems?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio USB connection problems?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Mio USB connection problems? Reply with quote

I've read quite a few posts her in the last 6 months or so describing problems with a PC recognising various Mio devices via an USB connection. The message "Cannot connect to your device. Install Mio USB driver..." is displayed.

For some reason I've now also encountered the problem - on a new install Vista machine. Nothing I do can solve the problem.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the CD and download software in various orders doesn't help and there seems to be no way that the PC can detect the device despite the fact that the relevant drivers are loaded - the device (a Mio C710) is detected in Device Manager.

It really is pretty poor that there's no information on this commonly experienced problem available on the Mio website and that there doesn't seem to be a solution to it.

I've tried installing the relevant drivers from here:

http://service.mio-tech.com/M0100/F0130_1.aspx?region=global#

But manual install is not supported and using the Device Manager installation method doesn't work either.

Has anyone found a solution to the problem?
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just given up on trying to transfer any more files to my C510 because the USB connection simply will not work. It just stopped one day for no apparent reason.

I wrote a while back about this, I have tried re-installing from the original disk to no avail.

As the C510 is long in the tooth now it seems that it is forgotten, along with the C710.

Hey ho!

Peasemold
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gareth,

I think that part of the problem is that your C710 precedes Vista and there are many, many devices which don't work with Vista.

This is really a Microsoft problem rather than a Mio problem because they keep releasing these crap operating systems which aren't compatible with devices that previously worked OK.

There are rumours in the computer industry that say companies are being advised NOT to switch to Vista.

It seems that the problems people are experiencing have been caused by switching from XP to Vista rather than a problem with the Mio drivers specifically.

In fact, I've seen the some companies have been providing new computers with XP installed rather than Vista due to customer demand.

It's all about backward compatiblity and Mio aren't entirely to blame.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6407419.stm
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gareth I think GPS_fan is correct, I seem to remember reading somewhere that possibly activsync does not work with vista, so it would seem that it may be a microsoft problem again.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a line of PC's here running XP32, Vista32 and Vista64. I can assure you it's no fun at all trying to develop software that will run equally well on all three. It often means two sets of programs/drivers with software that can detect automatically what system is in use and load the right versions.
I don't think we should blame Mitac for the problems we are having with this bloated new OS that was released a year after their devices were designed.

Sal
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
I have a line of PC's here running XP32, Vista32 and Vista64. I can assure you it's no fun at all trying to develop software that will run equally well on all three. It often means two sets of programs/drivers with software that can detect automatically what system is in use and load the right versions.
I don't think we should blame Mitac for the problems we are having with this bloated new OS that was released a year after their devices were designed.

Sal

It isn't about blaming them - I'm asking why initially I was able to use Mio update with Vista and why it now doesn't work.

The C710 uses the 2003 OS which is recognised by Vista device manager. It isn't unreasonable to expect that a device marketed and sold up until less than 6 months ago should support a mainstream (soon to be *the* mainstream) OS which was available in beta format close to the start of the life of the Mio device in question. Besides this isn't a hardware issue - it's a driver issue and it wouldn't take Mitac more than a day or so of experienced programmer time to provide a Vista compatible driver. Who knows they may even be able to fix some of the problems that XP users are faced with in the process.

But this isn't my point. There is absolutely no information on this issue on the Mio website (at least not that I can find).

End user pressure hasn't been that successful in persuading companies to poduce Vista drivers for even recent let alone legacy hardware. HP were pressured in to producing drivers for their 5000 series inkjet printers (legacy hardware) but other than that there hasn't been a great amount of success.

I'm not sure that MS is fully to blame for this. The beta testing and beta development stage of Vista had huge amounts of money spent on it by MS in terms of support (for users and for developers) and so it isn't unreasonable to hope that more driver support would be available. Especially so when you consider that, other than income generation for MS, Vista's design was prompted by security issues that had *never* been addressed in XP or 2000. Kernel mode changes - the changes that are designed to protect Vista against the security threats that made XP risky to use - are often responsible for the driver compatibility issues. Aside from that Vista will be the mainstream OS in the not too distant future when XP is ditched.

Most people don't buy a sat nav system with the expectation that it will only be update accessible for less than a year. Companies should take a sensible approach to legacy devices - including defining what constitutes a legacy device.

But again this isn't the issue with Mio. Why do people encounter problems with XP connectivity and why is Mio unable to provide assistance?
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Gareth,

I think that part of the problem is that your C710 precedes Vista and there are many, many devices which don't work with Vista.

This is really a Microsoft problem rather than a Mio problem because they keep releasing these crap operating systems which aren't compatible with devices that previously worked OK.

There are rumours in the computer industry that say companies are being advised NOT to switch to Vista.

It seems that the problems people are experiencing have been caused by switching from XP to Vista rather than a problem with the Mio drivers specifically.

In fact, I've seen the some companies have been providing new computers with XP installed rather than Vista due to customer demand.

It's all about backward compatiblity and Mio aren't entirely to blame.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6407419.stm

Thanks. Interesting story.

I've given up with the C710 and Vista but it's frustrating to know that the USB connection did work initially. I wonder if the problem I'm experiencing with Vista (not with XP) is actually a similar problem to the one that other people are experiencing with XP.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update to Vista Syncing, I have just found the latest info on Vista Syncing and the apperant successor to Activsync xp
Download the latest version Windows Mobile device Center (currently 6.1) and ensuring you you have the latest version installed on your PC, Note you cannot get via Windows Update, instead visit www.tinyurl.com/yercjr to manually download, make sure you download the correct language version and 32 or 64 bit version. Unfortunately cannot offer any guarantees as I am still on and sticking to XP.but hope it helps anybody having trouble with activsync.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Update to Vista Syncing, I have just found the latest info on Vista Syncing and the apperant successor to Activsync xp
Download the latest version Windows Mobile device Center (currently 6.1) and ensuring you you have the latest version installed on your PC, Note you cannot get via Windows Update, instead visit www.tinyurl.com/yercjr to manually download, make sure you download the correct language version and 32 or 64 bit version. Unfortunately cannot offer any guarantees as I am still on and sticking to XP.but hope it helps anybody having trouble with activsync.

No, I've tried it already - it only works for PDAs running Windows 2003 and not non PDA devices running Windows 2003 like the C710. The only way to transfer data to/from the device is to use Mitac's software and drivers.

There isn't a solution to this one I'm afraid and no response from Mitac regarding XP connectivity problems let alone Vista problems.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: