Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - driving in the damp
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

driving in the damp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulBt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: driving in the damp Reply with quote

I would have enjoyed having a new TomTom 720 (see here if interested) to play with today as it took 2 hours to get to Gatwick in heavy rain, but 7 hours to get home again. The only entertainment was watching cars driving too fast through deep water and breaking down.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On her way home my better half reported seeing numerous cars abandond at the sides of the road with their bonnets up!
Leaves on the track, Snow on the ground, now a little moisture and the whole country grinds to a halt.
I think that because it's out of the ordinary, people just don't know what to do in these situations.

Awnser : STOP DRIVING

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think that because it's out of the ordinary, people just don't know what to do in these situations.
I watched TV in amazement when it showed people driving fast through the floods.

1. Watch some other clown go through the water first, to judge it's depth.

2. Drive slowly in first gear, preferably letting tickover take you through, this way little or no 'wash' is created.

3. Once out the other side drive slowly and gently use your brakes a few times to dry them out.

4. Make sure a large vehicle doesn't overtake you or their 'wash' will swamp your exhaust pipe and you'll end up with wet feet. (Been there, done it). Embarassed
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Quote:
I watched TV in amazement when it showed people driving fast through the floods.

I find it difficult to believe some of the inconsiderate morons who seem to drive at high speed through the water next to houses, thinking it's funny, they are creating a "tidal wave" swamping back on to the already flooded houses.

I know that the houses are damaged when flooded, but that extra wave of water could mean an otherwise saved sofa sitting on a table is now also written off.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
...I know that the houses are damaged when flooded, but that extra wave of water could mean an otherwise saved sofa sitting on a table is now also written off.

I take it that you are or know of one of the many affected by these recent floods. Sad

GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
GJF wrote:
...I know that the houses are damaged when flooded, but that extra wave of water could mean an otherwise saved sofa sitting on a table is now also written off.

I take it that you are or know of one of the many affected by these recent floods. Sad

I saw it happen a few years ago in West Kent, if the house has a door or window open the wave keeps going through the house.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
GJF wrote:
When I was sitting on Saturday morning (1am to 6:30am) waiting for the floods to evaporate, a small row of houses below my road level was up to the ground floor window sills in flood. A vehicle wave started further along the road could have topped them.

I've seen floods on the unreal telly before and this time I had the amazing good fortune to drive round Gloucester and Cheltenham in shallow flood water before being stopped. I found it utterly shocking to see those real live houses - really banged home the dreadful situation they must be in.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I've seen floods on the unreal telly before...
I found it utterly shocking to see those real live houses - really banged home the dreadful situation they must be in.

Yes it really does look different went you see the real damage rather than just pictures on TV.

My in laws were flooded a few years ago....it's not just the water that causes the damage but all the dirt and filth in the water stains everything and leaves a smelly silt behind after the water has gone.

Sadly, the biggest headache was getting the insurance sorted out - these companies are all very quick to take your premium but then they do everything they can NOT to pay out for legitimate claims Sad
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a month or two when this is all forgotten those who are afffected will still be affected. Remember that when you are tucked up in bed. A reletive of mine caught the floods two years ago, which took the best part of a year to put back to normal! Sad

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I had a delivery job to Chipping Campden, some room dryers to a hotel. I wouldn't have thought that place would suffer flooding, but as I drove through, so many houses had stuff piled outside - ruined carpets, soft furnishings etc. One place had piles of furniture with a big sign on it saying "Do Not remove - waiting for insurance assessor to see". I just felt so bad. It doesn't look like flood plain, but I could see signs of a "washed clean" band at the bottom of many of the beautiful stone houses.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it'll be all those along the thames who'll be worried tonight. Flash floods are one thing, but slow rising floods can be quite another as they will find any nook to start seeping through.
I pass over the thames at egham on my way home and it is looking very menicing indeed!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: