Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Additional iGO Routing Option
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Additional iGO Routing Option
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Best routing Reply with quote

I would agree that "best" routing (or at least one that best suits the particular user) is the most important feature of any sat nav

For me, and I have several units including Navman n40i, TomTom Go, and Garmin Nuvi 300 and the Navigon Pocket Loox n100 the Navigon software out performs all the others (with the Navman taking second place)

None are perfect, but the Navigon takes me the way I would travel, almost every time if I knew the route, avoiding the majority of those narrow lanes

The Garmin is the worst for narrow lanes, but wins on pin point accuracy of destination (post code) for houses (particularly in the country)

The Navigon also gives best vocal guidance as far as timing of instruction - with very limited need to check the screen

Looking forward to the new Navigon release of either the 7110 or 5110 any day now

Anyone tried the new Road Angel 9000 (mapping looks great, with individual houses shown on the screen pics - but how is the routing?)
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Best routing Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
I would agree that "best" routing (or at least one that best suits the particular user) is the most important feature of any sat nav

None are perfect, but the Navigon takes me the way I would travel, almost every time if I knew the route, avoiding the majority of those narrow lanes

The Navigon also gives best vocal guidance as far as timing of instruction - with very limited need to check the screen

I totally agree, the routing is excellent, I would really like to be able to use it but it's so SLOW !

It's even slower if you use the full Europe map, and if you use the individual maps it doesn't route across borders.

I always check the route before blindly setting out and scrolling the map takes ages. Modifying the route, if required, is quite difficult compared with iGO where a couple of taps on the screen and it's done and recalculated almost immediately.

Also it doesn't natively support speed cameras, user POI's or seven digit postcodes.

So I'll continue using iGO until Navigon address these issues.

Regards

linknet
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Slow Reply with quote

linknet which Navigon software version and on what system are you using it?
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Slow Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
linknet which Navigon software version and on what system are you using it?

Navigon 6.x (can't remember revision number) on a Dell Axim X51v 625 mhz with a 2Gb 133x SD card, so it's not a particulary slow system.

(Also a Fujitsu Loox 420, 400 mhz on which it is even slower !)

Regards

linknet
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Speed Reply with quote

I guess it's with the clunky software of Navigon on PDAs

I only run Navigon 6.1 on my Fujitsu Loox n100 which is much more basic than yours, but then is running nothing else

It works absolutely fine - scrolling as smooth as the Garmin or Navman (TomTom maps move faster), BUT I do have an issue with map speed. I turned Menu Animation off, and it is much better, but still not really how it should be

The dedicated units (5100, 5110, 7100, 7110) are due in a few days, running 6.5 and more to date mapping and features, and I am informed smoother (faster!) in operation. We will wait and see
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you any idea what operating system these units use?

Presumably it's not Windows Mobile 5 or 6, maybe Linux ?

Regards

linknet
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: System Reply with quote

Sadly (!) its Windows 5.0 CE

You can get details on all of them at http://www.navigon.com/site/uk/en/mobile_navigation/pna/navigon7100;jsessionid=AE4101059D21E5FB0733D703DA2EDF21

Including screen shots of the new reality vue (improved version of the Lane Advisor), they both have a Belle Vue routing option too, which is (supposed) to take you the scenic route if for example your holidaying
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks Ok !

As you say, we will have to wait and see if it runs smoothly. I would need a demonstration of an actual unit before buying. Any idea on retail outlets in the UK ?

Regards

linknet
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: UK Stockists Reply with quote

Maplin will be stocking the unit as it is already listed on their website, to pre-order

This will probably be the easiest nationwide retailer for anyone to go to, that I have found and they tend to be willing to let you play with product (ie. set it up) like most stores

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NavNGo iGO All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: