Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PRESS RELEASE: TomTom Launches Navigator 3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PRESS RELEASE: TomTom Launches Navigator 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not just a british thing re the maps the French autoroute (A20?? I think) that by-passes Cahor isn't in ttn2 despite mostly having been built and finished for 5 years - only the final link section was finished in 2003.

The real trouble for tomtom is no matter how good the operation of the program the data will make or break it. I live on a "new" housing estate with a school etc on it and the road doesn't exist in ttn2 - the school opened in 1998 - so 6 years on and it still hasn't been properly mapped - but the bloody road isn't shown on multimap either so my guess won't be in tomtom3 either (good job I know where it is!).

What we tend to forget is 3 years ago we mostly used a road atlas and then followed directions given by the people or company we were visiting.

Re the toll road missing what would we have been shouting if the road hadn't opened on time and was included and then tomtom tried to route you via a non finished road.

To be honest it isn't perfect but to have virtually every street in europe accessable on a device weighing 140g is good enough for me. Whilst I'm still required to drive my car I think I will still be able to resist following ttn blindly.
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris.hevey wrote:
If you're driving along the M6 and see a sign saying M6 Toll, it's OK to take it. You all know where it goes, you don't have to do everything TomTom tells you, and it's surprisingly easy to drive along a motorway without GPS guidance. When you get back on the M6, TomTom will forgive you and work things out.

Quite right, it isn't that hard. If you've noted the time to destination just before you get on the toll and the time after you rejoin the M6 it will be almost the same. I use the toll for M1 and M40, M5 I still joing the queue.

Tom Tom had completely revolutionised my driving and I'm doing about a thousand miles a week. Waypoints and "better" mapping will still help and at 40 Euros it's a bargain.

How many car manufacturers systems will have the M6 toll road, and you've probably stumped up over £1000 for that?
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy for you that TTN works "overwhelmingly OK" for you. And, of course, you are right, mostly it does do OK. For me, there is a bit too much "off piste" at present and it looks to continue pretty much unchanged with TTN3.

I think a "health warning" for pedants might be in order: Confused "TTN2 is based on data available as at December 2002, so that means roads as old as September 2002 or earlier might not be present in case you were thinking they might be, and do not even begin to wonder about updates between major versions, in fact even the newest version will miss major roads over a year old". Then we'd know what we were buying.

Neil
chris.hevey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite my tongue-in-cheek post just now, which was not entirely serious, I think Neil's absolutely right to have the expectations he does. Frankly it is total crap for them to say the data was of Oct 03 vintage when it missed out such a vital road as the M6 Toll, which if my ageing brain serves me well, was open then? I know that the kind of people who are posting in here are are capable of using the common sense I was hinting at, but I also know there are people out there who'll just wander into Dixons or somewhere and buy a "ready to go" who will be totally confused by the whole thing - and half the time will think it's their fault!

With the kind of technology that's around these days there's no technical excuse why it should take a year to 18 months to get the data to us(believe me, I know about these things.) It's probably more around commercial and copyright issues that have to be sorted or just plain corporate idleness and inertia. Once upon a time we would have had bottlenecks like waiting for the Ordnance Survey to process the data because their 72Mb RAM mainframe only had a total of 256 Gb online disk storage and it would cost them half a million to add another 100. How much does a 250Gb disk cost now even at PC World? £200?

However, from my personal point of view I think the 49 euros (35 quid?) is worth it just to bring the mapping (mostly) into the 21st century. Mind you, I only used to update my paper road atlas when the front cover finally parted company from the rest of the book.....
NigelG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new traffic feature will be ideal with an O2 XDA or T-Mobile equivalent as they have built in GPRS Smile
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NigelG wrote:
The new traffic feature will be ideal with an O2 XDA or T-Mobile equivalent as they have built in GPRS Smile

Allegedly, the next IPAQ comes with GPRS and a place to load a sim card!
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow im sitting here thinking to myself.......... all this about not using a mobile phone whilst driving, and now with the help of tomtom drivers will be tapping on screens and waving their mobiles around for good gprs connections..Laughing Out Loud

Anything more to fiddle with whilst driving and i see a new PDA legislation coming out Sad

at least when we could use our mobile phones our eyes were on the road, not looking at how fantastic our 3D Maps are looking :D

TomTom Go hopefully might have built in gprs and gps... anyone confirm.?

Cheers
Nick
phinea
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Will new map fit on a 128MB CF card? Reply with quote

Will the new map fit on my 128MB CF card which has just 17.5MB free at the moment (with TTN2 GB map data & POI and UK postcode dbs)?
chris.hevey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Will new map fit on a 128MB CF card? Reply with quote

phinea wrote:
Will the new map fit on my 128MB CF card which has just 17.5MB free at the moment (with TTN2 GB map data & POI and UK postcode dbs)?

Not with the Main roads Europe thing as well. UK only should fit but you may have to take it easy on the PoIs. Check this out - not bad for £35

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=FC256_H4

Thumbs Up
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NMatthew wrote:
I have read elsewhere that TeleAtlas have claimed they had (at the time) more up to date maps than Tomtom used in TTN2, and that it is up to Tomtom to subscribe to TeleAtlas updates, and I suspect that in order to control costs they don't.

That was a false rumour that was going around. The only truth in it is that companies have to develop their application alongside the maps. By the end of the development cycle they may be several months out of date by the time it starts shipping, but this is going to happen with every single company out there! They could put the new maps in (if they have newer maps) but if they didn't test it, then you could find the application not working at all and being extremely buggy, and I'm sure you'd complain about that ?

NMatthew wrote:
Dave, if you have access to TTN3 are you prepared to check out any other roads so we can get an estimate of the practical length of time it takes to get roads into Tomtom? I'm not talking hordes of minor side roads or newly built housing estates here, but a few truck roads we can find the build dates for.

I can't guarantee anything, but post them in a different thread headed something like NEW ROADS IN 2003 and lets get a collection together. The main issue here is going to be which areas of the country TeleAtlas and NavTech concentrate on. You probably can easily find roads that are updated say in October 2003 but other areas of the country may not have had roads updated for a period of time depending on the scout teams that are going out geocoding the streets.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: M6 Toll Road, Not Supported! Reply with quote

The PocketGPSWorld.com team spent quite some time at CeBit, and met with a lot of companies including the staff at TomTom and took a list of questions.

We'll share some of these questions a little later, but one of the questions people were obviously asking in our forums were "Is the M6 toll road supported ?".

The team posed this question to TomTom and the answer we received was "No". So there you are, from the horses mouth (so to speak!).

Last edited by Dave on Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
BrianA
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: M6 Toll Road, Not Supported! Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
"Was the M6 toll road supported ?".

The team posed this question to TomTom and the answer we received was "No". So there you are, from the horses mouth (so to speak!).

Dave, you're 13 days too early with this!

Laughing

Go 520 + Navcore 8
(was a happy PDA user until TT stopped updating the software)
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: TTN3 Reply with quote

woody67 wrote:
technik wrote:
I already have traffic-i on my Nokia 6600 for live trafficmaster information using GPRS, so the built in feature on TTN3 is no great enhancement for me.

Is your traffic-i location specific - ie it knows where you are and where you're going and displays relevant info accordingly?

Traffic-i is not location specific. That is why i use TomTom navigator.

But at least Traffic-i has the M6 Toll road which is a bit more than TTN3 has ! :D:D
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'fraid not Brian Crying or Very sad
anglefire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: M6 Toll Road, Not Supported! Reply with quote

BrianA wrote:
Dave wrote:
"Is the M6 toll road supported ?".

Dave, you're 13 days too early with this!

Laughing

Does any current device support the M6 Toll? Icn630 V2 doesn't?

Website

The answer is 42. Now what is the question?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: