Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom and Vodafone UK Introduce Advanced Traffic Data Syste
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom and Vodafone UK Introduce Advanced Traffic Data Syste
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmonkey wrote:
and Tele Atlas already has Map Insight.

Yes, although most people are convinced that Map Insight is some kind of PR stunt as no problem that I or anyone I know has reported through Map Insight has ever been fixed.

In fact every single error that existed in the maps on my first TomTom GO 300 is still on the latest TomToms being released now. I don't think TeleAtlas themselves are at all interested in correcting map errors. They seem more focused on mapping new countries than fixing the data in the countries where their product is most used.

The one-way designations around Winchester have been incorrect for about 5 years now, and I've reported it through map insight about 4 times. I have twice seen people driving the wrong way down our street and BOTH of those times, the person had a TomTom in their window. Once people have decided to follow their sat nav, they're going to follow it no matter what the street signs and road markings say.
Gurj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:

One question though - if I'm WALKING along a road, how would this system know that whether I'm walking or sitting in a traffic jam? What about all those Vodafone users talking on their phones at service stations?

If the system was aware of the recent movement of a individual handsets, then it could add a lower weighting to those that haven't been traveling very far or fast. If a reasonable number of handsets were monitored traveling at speed and then seen to be near stationary for a while before speeding up again it shouldn't take too much clever software to create some statistical traffic speeds. As for service stations, I guess these would be know stopping points and eventually patterns of movement or stopping could be deduced.

Certainly there is potential here to supplement other traffic data.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurj wrote:
As for service stations, I guess these would be know stopping points and eventually patterns of movement or stopping could be deduced.

On my daily commute, one of the worst spots for traffic is on the motorway alongside a service station.

Often, cars try to 'beat' the traffic by cutting through the service station...only to find a bottleneck on the slip road as they exit the service station.

Additionally, depending upon the weather conditions, this service station can be a dead spot for mobile phone signal, so another complication in what sounds like a simple exercise.

Also, how do we know that our movements will remain confidential and anonymous? Who's to say that the monitoring station(s) won't have an alarm to monitor motorists travelling above a pre-designated speed and their details being made available to the appropriate authorities?

It would seem that no system is straightforward or foolproof - what a pity we don't live in that ideal world!
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet that all of this information processing burns processors.........

Just think of the amount of information that would have to be collated and processsed in quasi-real time. My head hurts.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, very clever stuff, I see the BBC covered a similar use of this data in Rome today, see here.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just done some nightmare trips from the north to south then back again during the 'rainy season' I can't wait for something like this to kick in.

During the floods last week, the occasions that Tom Tom Traffic reported a tailback on Yorkshire motorways, it was always out of date regarding the length of the jam. And not a little; literally by miles. So you'd arrive at the back of a jam rather than avoid it as it was reporting old news. Then the avoid would take you around it but you'd join the middle of the next one which was now also longer than reported etc etc.

My love/hate relationship with Traffic continues. I SOOO want it to be great but it lets me down so often the trust is gone. But I'm sure it's down to the sources as much as Tom Tom.

In view of how much the jams and disruption up North last week cost businesses and the economy, it does raise the question as to whether or not the government might be well advised to centralise and standardise the info. The long-term repairs on a road near Leeds Bradford airport haven't appeared on traffic for 6 months but I bet I'm not the only one legging it to the terminal having sat in it for 45 mins. long-term roadworks like this SHOULD be on traffic by default and then the afformentioned realtime info should help us with the daily hickups on our roads. If all contractors were obliged as part of the contract to add their works to a database it would be a start and hardly rocket-science.

Then the realtime stuff would kick in and we'd all breeze round the country without issue...... rose tinted glasses currently on.
Holux GPSslim
fysmd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what they'll do for those routes with a nearby, parallel train route.
It'll look as though plenty of phones are moving along quite nicely despite the road being slow / stopped.

Cool idea though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: