Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Rear-facing Truvelo?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear-facing Truvelo?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Rear-facing Truvelo? Reply with quote

I was unfortunate (or stupid!) enough to receive a letter the other day informing me that my car had been photographed exceeding the speed limit (a whopping 36mph in a 30 zone). From the letter, I know where it happened, and I was fully aware of the camera in this particular village.

However, from the time indicated on the letter, I know that I was travelling east-bound at the time. The only camera in this village is a Truvello on the opposite side of the road, facing east.

I'm not aware of this village having any mobile camera positions, and I certainly didn't see any any camera vans on this particular day, so the logical conclusion must be that I was photographed by the Truvello.

However, I understood that Truvellos only took forward-facing pictures (which is why I may have been going a little faster than I should!), but given the information above, it seems that this camera must have taken a picture from my rear.

Is my understanding of Truvellos correct? Is there any other logical explanation?
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
Quote:
Is my understanding of Truvellos correct? Is there any other logical explanation?

Yes, a lot of the Truvelo's are "reversed".

Six months facing one way, then when you are safely tucked up in bed, out comes that naughty man and turns it round to catch you in the morning. 8O

If you check the road surface you should see the white strips on the road, on BOTH sides. Laughing
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definitely wasn't physically reversed. i.e. the camera would still have been only able to photograph the rear of my car. I would have noticed if it had been turned round.

Also, it is positioned quite close to a sharp bend which is difficult to take at higher speeds - if the camera had been facing the other way, it would only be able to photograph vehicles coming off this bend, which would be unlikely to be speeding. After they have passed the camera, though, they have been able to accelerate to normal driving speeds.

Unfortunately, I won't be passing that way again for a while, so I won't get chance to look at the road surface. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the white bands on either side of the road like the ones you get near Gatsos.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can provide more information on it's location (i.e. the village name)we might be able to establish what the camera type it is.

Also request a copy of the photographic evidence if you want to see if it took a photo from the front or rear and if it was a camera or mobile site.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it may be worth being quite tactful when asking for the photo. maybe start off by saying you will be happy to pay the fine but could you see the photo first - make it clear you're not contesting it as such otherwise they may assume you want to go straight to court with it...

just my thoughts...

MaFt
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's at Farthinghoe in Northants, on the A422 between the M40 & Brackley. I'm pretty sure it's a Truvelo, and it's recorded in the database as a Truvelo.

I'll see if I can get hold of the photographic evidence to see if that gives any more clues.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be cautious about admitting an offence unless you are 100% sure the offence actually occurred and that it was actually committed by you.

Unfortunately, it seems that the scamera partnerships want you to just pay the money and won't give you any evidence of the alleged offence unless you plead not guilty to it.

There is a lot of advice on http://www.pepipoo.com/ - good luck.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would be cautious about admitting an offence unless you are 100% sure the offence actually occurred and that it was actually committed by you.

Unfortunately, it seems that the scamera partnerships want you to just pay the money and won't give you any evidence of the alleged offence unless you plead not guilty to it.

Exactly. You are entitled to see the evidence before you admit / deny anything. Skippys advice about visiting Pepipoo is probably the best move.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this camera have the Gatso-type road markings as well as the usual 3 lines for Truvelo?

I frequently pass a Truvelo in the central reservaion of a dual carriageway and both carriageways have the 3 Truvelo lines AND Gatso-type markings.

Usually, this camera is angled slightly so it appears to just clock one carriageway as a traditional front facing Truvelo.

However, at the moment, the camera is pointing straight down the road as though it's working as a front facing Truvelo for one carriageway and a rear facing Truvelo for the other cariageway simultaneously.

I presume that it is possible for these cameras to operate in both directions at the same time, but I'm not willing to risk points on my licence and fine(s) to find out.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Does this camera have the Gatso-type road markings as well as the usual 3 lines for Truvelo?

I don't recall seeing the Gatso-type markings. Unfortunately, I haven't been that way since the NIP arrived, so that I could check.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been that way again this morning (although much slower today!). There are Truvelo lines on both sides of the road (and on both sides of the camera), but no Gatso lines.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Truvelo which I see on a regular basis has now been repositioned slightly and is being used as a rear facing camera with the Gatso-type markings on the road.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Truvelo is being used as a rear facing camera (Gatso style) as far as i understand it (correct me if i'm wrong) it can't be used for forward facing as it needs a human to change the settings from one to the other.

Also why change from a forward facing camera to rear facing?
With rear facing the Safety partnership still can't prove who was driving.

The Truvelo is far more advanced than the Gatso, forward facing means a picture of the driver giving a shot of not only his face, but as to what he is doing (rude signs, telephone etc) and catches the motorist speeding often before it's too late as there is no warning flash.

With a Gatso you see the camera before it sees you, giving a chance to slow down.

As far as i know all the Truvelos in my area are forward facing as intended, so i can't see the logic here in getting you at the rear.

Daggers what is the latest on your conviction?
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
Also why change from a forward facing camera to rear facing?

As far as I can see, the reason for changing the camera is so that it can keep catching people out when it faces one way but people thought it faced the other way.

...it's a dual carriageway with a 30 limit - so plenty of opportunity for earning money.

Also, set in one position, it can catch drivers travelling in both directions.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:

Daggers what is the latest on your conviction?

I have already returned the letter asking who was driving (I had done before submitting the original post) and am still waiting for further communication from them.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: