Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PRESS RELEASE: TomTom Launches Navigator 3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PRESS RELEASE: TomTom Launches Navigator 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: PRESS RELEASE: TomTom Launches Navigator 3 Reply with quote

CeBIT, Hannover, 18 March 2004 – TomTom today announced a new and improved version of its award-winning car navigation software solution -- TomTom Navigator™ 3 for Pocket PC. Drivers using TomTom Navigator 3 for on their Pocket PC will enjoy more flexibility and power than ever before.

“With TomTom Navigator 3, TomTom is aggressively expanding its leadership position by offering consumers the best features in personal navigation at the best value,” says Harold Goddijn, chief executive officer of TomTom. "New features such as the optional Traffic service (announced 18 March, 2004: see separate press release), an Itinerary Planner for planning multi-destination trips, as well as updated maps and the new Major Roads of Europe map ensure that TomTom Navigator 3 remains the leading navigation solution for Pocket PCs.”

Previously, customers could only plan trips from A to B. With the new Itinerary Planner feature, they can now plan complex routes with multiple stops. Customers only need to pre program the stops before they depart and TomTom Navigator 3 will calculate the best route incorporating each stop on the way to the end destination. Itinerary Planner is also an ideal tool for planning multi-stop trips anywhere across Europe. Customers can select locations from any map and TomTom will calculate a complete door-to-door route.

The new Major Roads of Europe map is the ideal tool for planning cross-border trips. Driving from London to Lisbon becomes as easy as a trip to the high street.

The Itinerary Planner is also integrated with the Major Roads of Europe and all regional maps, giving users an extremely powerful tool for international trips. Customers can type in their final destination, such as a hotel address, and any stops they want to make along the way throughout Europe. TomTom calculates the best route and guides them to the front door of wherever they want to be.

TomTom Navigator 3 does the following and more:
- Plans the best possible route to your final destination.
- Allows you to plan around traffic jams, road works or other obstacles.
- Navigates directly from a contacts database without re-typing addresses, thanks to integration with Pocket Outlook™.
- Displays thousands of points of interest such as, petrol stations, hotels, restaurants, parking facilities and more that are on or near your route.
- Routes around London Congestion Charging Zone, when possible.
- Provides improved graphical clarity of icons and schematic arrows to allow you to find the correct turn on even the most complex crossing.
- Features top quality maps from TomTom partner, Tele Atlas.

UPGRADE PROGRAMME:
European owners of TomTom Navigator 2 software can upgrade to the newest version for free or for a reduced price, depending on when the product was activated. Those purchasers who activated on or after 18 January 2004, receive the upgrade for free, excluding shipping and handling costs. Customers who activated before 18 January 2004 pay €49 to upgrade the software including any additional maps (such as Maps of Western Europe). Customers who wish to upgrade can begin ordering in mid-April, 2004. More information on the upgrade programme is available at the TomTom website at www.tomtom.com.

PRICING AND AVAILABILITY:
TomTom Navigator 3 is available from end March at major retailers across Europe. The recommended retail price for TomTom Navigator 3 Wireless GPS including car kit is Euro 398, including VAT. The standard GPS version including car kit is Euro 298, including VAT.

Last edited by Dave on Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing we should also mention is that UK Postcodes now work. Sorry Niels!
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: TomTom Traffic additional option to TT3 Reply with quote

TomTom Traffic is an optional subscription service that gives you real-time traffic information. TomTom Traffic alerts you when there is a jam on the motorway in your region. You can either re-route around the jam, or plan the fastest route. Sometimes, it is faster to drive through a small motorway delay, and you can choose to let TomTom guide you the best way.

In addition to the subscription, your Pocket PC has to be connected to the internet over a GPRS connection to use this helpful service.

All TomTom Navigator 3 purchases and upgrades come with a free three-month trial subscription to TomTom Traffic. After that, pay just €49 per year or €9.95 per month for this time-saving feature.

TomTom Traffic will become available in May 2004, only in the UK, Germany, France and the Netherlands. If you subscribe to the TomTom newsletter, you will be informed when TomTom Traffic becomes available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Dave wrote:
One thing we should also mention is that UK Postcodes now work. Sorry Niels!

Does that mean full Post Codes, i.e. XXnn nXX, or is it still only partial Post Codes? Question

Regards,
Robert.
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postcodes are 5 digits so AANN N. For instance SO20 4??. So 5 rather than 7.

Yes, Traffic will be via a GPRS connection (Bluetooth Mobile Phone preferred).
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is it a good upgrade? What other PPC navigation software doesn't allow waypoint navigation?
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Ok.. so we get traffic Reply with quote

Ok.. so we get traffic... but what will be the data transfer? Once every minute, if so, what range of the downloaded data? e.g. every minute download traffic reports for your route or within a 50 mile radius?
I'd like to see those with Bluetooth GPS and Phone working properly before committing to this. Those of us who have a no bluetooth GPS may be a little more stable.

So how many us will upgrade?

Me? Yes, €49 not a lot for updated maps (and do we know when they cut these by the way?)

Join me in the queue then!
Darryl
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How good are the Maps? after all the feedback about Navman's updated maps that sound as if they have taken a step backwards, will TT3 be an improvemnt on the TT2 maps and how will TT3 compare against the 4410? I am keen to read the reviews :P
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably upgrade, to get the new maps and the traffic option. My phone is the Nokia 6600 and has no problems talking to my IPAQ’s.

The only downside I can see is using a Bluetooth GPS, and Phone together.

Is this possible? Bearing in mind that most GPS receivers I have seen reviewed all use a standard serial port, would this lead to problems?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holds his hands up and says yyyyyyyyyey :D to a free upgrade.

also i bought my europe maps after the date mentioned so should i also get these upgraded free>?

Cheers
Nick
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also....

seems to me that its just cosmetic updates i.e icons etc

with the addition of the major roads map system, from looking at it, most of the usability of it looks the same.

Not sure what your thoughts are.?

Regards
Nick
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'ill upgrade. 49euros for the software and the maps of western europe. i'ts an offer i can't refuse. Thumbs Up
MountainGoat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the betting that GPS 2.09 is still the same? Bluetooth ... Oh that's a good idea lets screw up everyone elses connections.
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

Now that it's been announced, you're no longer under a NDA. Have you previewed a copy of TT3? If so when can we expect to see the write up please?

Re post code search: Surely the 7 chars e.g. SO20 4?? covers a fairly wide area and would not be as accuarate as using the full 7 characters per Niels' program?
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your iPAQ can quite happily talk to a mobile phone and a gps receiver at the same time via Bluetooth. Or at least mine could until I changed my phone and couldn't be bothered to get it working again...!

The traffic stuff is something that interests me, and I've written about it before in the wishlists (any cashback for that 'idea'?!), but I'd be interested to see how well it's been implemented.

Earlier versions of TTN were more automatic and I preferred the simplistic approach that let you set your system and trust it to get on with the data. Don't want to be asked a load of questions because the programmers were erring on the side of caution with their algortithms.

Also, I would be interested in the amount of data transferred via GPRS. In principle it's a good idea, but until unlimited GPRS/3G data transfer becomes a reality (if it does), it'll always be a pay-per-use function that I'll be too conscious about cash to use (been stung by high GPRS bills for low data transfer rates before!).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: