Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Memory Map? No thanks!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Memory Map? No thanks!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Countryman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Memory Map? No thanks! Reply with quote

I was thinking of buying MM and sent them two emails with pre-sales questions. However, they couldn't be bothered to reply so I certainly won't be giving them my business. If this is the way they treat prospective customers....

Brian
GeoffC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unusual, it might be a technical problem somewhere. Did you use the form on the memory-map.co.uk website (as opposed to memory-map.com)?.

You could post your questions on the MM Support Forum, Justin is normally very helpful

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/board/index.php?

The forum is moderated and posts are previewed, so it might take a day or so to appear.
Regards
Countryman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Geoff,

I joined the memory-map.co.uk Forum on 18th March. The next day I posted a message on the ‘Using Memory-Map On Your PC / General Questions’ sub-forum as I am a somewhat dissatisfied user of Bayo’s CARTO Exploreur 3 and was considering the purchase of the Memory-Map IGN France Edition.

The maps used by Bayo are poor quality raster scans of IGN’s paper originals and details often do not meet at ‘sheet’ edges. I asked if MM’s were also scanned or taken from digital originals. I also asked if a purchased French IGN version would run on Windows 2000. (There is a problem with W2K and Jason had pinned a .dll fix in the forum. Unfortunately, the fix download only covers the UK OS version.) Lastly, as I was considering the purchase of the Premium Edition Regions version on DVD, I wanted to know how old the pictures on the DVD were.

I looked at my entry on the ‘Members’ pages and it stated that; “Most active in General Questions… 1 posts in this forum ( 50% of this member's active posts )”. However, the posting did not appear on the relevant sub-forum. Two days later I sent a further message mentioning these facts and remarking that if I went to the ‘The moderating team’ pages and clicked on ‘PM’ I got the following message: “Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information… The error returned was: You are not allowed to use the messenger feature on this board”. There was no response from MM to this message either so it looks like I have been moderated off the Forum. Silly really, they only had to explain that they didn’t want to answer the questions.

Brian
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

I do agree that the MM forum is excessively moderated, but I don't think they've singled you out in particular. The email, PM and (remarkably) email notifications are disabled for all of us. The search facility also has rather silly defaults and misleading error messages.

It sometimes takes many days for contributions to get through moderation, but this may be simply that the moderator puts "difficult" topics aside to find a satisfactory answer, and they get overlooked.

Concerning your specific questions on the maps, they genuinely may not know the answers. They just receive the "latest" electronic map files from the map providers and may not know how they were created or when they were last updated. I believe there were problems with the quality and uniformity of some of the French maps as they were gradually being re-released with a different colour sceme by IGN. I was sceptical that the v5 OS maps would be any different to the 2004 issue, but I have certainly found some differences, without specifically searching for them.

Similarly, the question on the age of the aerial photograhy may need to be addressed to Getmapping. Certainly some may be quite old (for example comparing the sample OS and aerial maps around Swansea at SS648992) but some of Scotland hasn't even been photographed yet (but will be issued as a free update when it has).

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
simon11
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad I don't have any questions. But memory map for the UK IS GREAT!
rhayader_wanderer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of the Alps premier edition. Overall it is OK no more but that is down to the source data.

If you are used to working with OS and Getmapping as your source material you will be sadly disappointed.

The Topo series is not yet uniform in its schema and this is reflected in the MM data. Sheet edges are however reasonably dealt with but not always perfectly aligned and the colour changes take some getting used to FP changing purple to red is off putting.

The air photos are something else. Resolution appears to be about 50cm no more and possibly less. there is limited colour balancing and no attempt at anything more than a rudimentary stitching of images lakes change colour in some instances half way across to the source overlaps were fairly small. The other downside is there is no attempt to balance between Map edges so the change from one MM map to another is very noticeable.

There is also no obvious metadata on the images.

So returning to England where does this relate

I would place the 25k mapping as comparable to the UK half way though the roll out of the first set of explorer maps. The commitment to uniformity is there but it isn't yet complete

For the air photos these are as far behind the Getmapping millenium map data as current Bluesky and OS Imagery is ahead of it. For walking use it is fit for purpose with upland paths clearly visible but as a GI professional if someone showed me this as sample data at a show I would end the discussion on the spot

PEte
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would rather have non-colour balanced and slightly misaligned maps than none at all.

Not being a GIS professional and only having the financial means to buy low to mid range retail products, these are the only two optionals currently avalible that I am aware of.
rhayader_wanderer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

I agree entirely with your sentiments, something is almost always better than nothing, my main point was to manage expectations in so much at the same priced UK product is of far higher technical quality

Pete

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: