Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Moderation - lack of consistency
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Moderation - lack of consistency
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input, Mike, a good piece of moderation.

The task of a moderator is obviously not an easy one.

It was never my intention to make this thread a personal thing or single out members or moderators.

Unfortunately, however, this thread appears to have demonstrated the very point I was trying to make in the beginning because other threads have been locked or deleted for much less.
snowboardcriminal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

To lock or not, the $64000 question, i await with baited breath.....................................

There are things that I know and you don't know, there are things that you know that i don't know, but always remember there is much that we both don't know.
Stargate2006
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:

Stagate: It is clear that English is not your first language, but you must try to choose your words more carefully. And by copying DennisN you have made you statment stand out as agressive.

Forgive me mostdom, I am partally hearing deaf and I have a problem with my speech word not talk very good and also I do not copy dennisN way of life here. DennisN is a nice guy we has a good lauch here a good fun for a good times for being nice friend around here.

If all's of you are feb up with me here, then I am very sorry for all of you here and I have remove all my words the rest of the post and I can't be more help to help you guys I just want to let you know of any news I hear something of bad news or goods news to start my own author post and I welcome anyone's to have a say anythings in my post.

So far I am afraid I have to say goodbye, it has upset me very much by gps_fan making too much bad comment of my post and other things as well. Now I am not to going say no more of any bad news or good news I won't post it here no more again for good, it shame for mods and other members will miss it who like my post I have been very kind to remind to all the mods and members of bad news about safety camera, Green cross code, accident, etc.

It very sad I am going for good of they still want me here to bring any message on board of any bad news or good news, etc I am afraid I am not going to do it anymore now.

I will contine to read on in the future but I won't send any more post message in the future now.

GoodBye.

Kindly regards

Stargate2006

Last edited by Stargate2006 on Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stargate,

It is sad if you feel you have been forced away.

Everybody has opinions, not everybody will agree with every point of view, that is the society we live in thankfully.

The more opinons and contributors there are, the better the debate.

We all offer solutions etc., not always correctly in my case, but we all contribute.

Shouting and bullying should not be tolerated anywhere for any reason, and I can see in several posts this has been done by different posters to various degrees.

Moderators are there to do a job, and on the whole I feel this site is one of the better run ones, not just in the GPS category.

Personally, I thank you for your input, but dont give up, just don't get personal / emotional. And that doesn't mean I'm taking sides, I just want this to be a friendly community, helping each other.

Am I being too starry eyed?

Good Luck

Mike

.......Awaits the onslaught ....... Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
there is a nice community feel to this place but there's only so much chat about GPS and cameras to be done...
If I may be forgiven a slightly suntanned, slightly Amstelled foray off topic..... Has anybody else noticed how often Skippy says something intelligent and valuable. I really shall have to start tracking his posts for my own betterment. If only we could all follow his example, I'm sure there would be no more abuse.

And YES, this is posted soberly and seriously. My previous big bold was a poor attempt to inject a little lightness into what seemed to be developing a bit badly. No, it's not raining and no, according to the website checker, I didn't win the lottery last night (so I SHALL BE BACK!!!) Laughing

For what the on topic stuff is worth, I reckon to sit back and accept it if a Mod gets on at me - it's not my site, so I follow the rules (or get told off) set by my betters, and that's the end of it.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stargate2006 wrote:
it has upset me very much by gps_fan making too much bad comment of my post and other things as well.

Stargate,

I didn't mean to make you feel bad, but I wasn't the one who wrote "how dare you" in the largest, boldest font size available and clearly addressed it to an individual member for them to react in a way which you probably would have done yourself if somebody had addressed you in that way.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion - just as you are - and I'm sorry you feel this way. Simply because somebody disagrees with something you post in a thread doesn't mean that they are attacking you personally, they are expressing a different opinion. We don't all know everything and that is the purpose of this forum - to teach and be taught.

If you open a thread in a forum then you are inviting other members to give their opinion on something and it is not a democracy if members try to dictate who else may or may not participate simply because they have previously expressed a difference of opinion to the thread originator. I am not the first member whom you have tried to exclude from threads which you have originated.

Throughout this thread, I have tried hard not to name individual members or moderators, but others have seen fit to throw mud in my direction - so, perhaps if anybody is to leave this forum it ought to be me, myself and I.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting in a paediatric intensive care unit looking at your 6 month old child suffering from meningitis with tubes and wires coming out of everywhere imaginable (and a few other places too) makes you realise what's really important in life.

Fortunately, he pulled through and we've just celebrated his first birthday so I'm going to devote my time to what's really important - I've already spent a whole month in hospital keeping a 24 hour watch on somebody too young to know what the hell was happening to them.

...and I know that this may be off-topic, but if all the GPS units in the world crash, the sun will still rise in the morning - meningitis kills

In the whole south of England, there are only FOUR paediatric intensive care units - London, Oxford, Bristol and Southampton. In Southampton, there are 18 beds, but the unit only receives sufficient funding to use 9 at any one time.

Is GPS really so important that it should cause so much misery to so many people?
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one wishes any one to leave or not to get involved in these discussions. I too am guilty of harmless banter which may have upset a few people to which I am truly sorry, but this is normal on forums.

As I stated earlier, the names here are regular users and should give everyone a good 'time out' to help us understand each other a little better.

On this note I strongly recomend that we refrain from adding anymore to this post and allow it to die or be locked by the mods. Fitting end.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
Stargate2006
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to SpikeyMikey, DennisN, gps_fan, mostdom for your kindly word to explain this to me but I am still deeper hurt and upset at the moment of why all the time of my own author post kept lock up I just don't understand what is going on here.

I am not against anyone's here, I enjoyed reading the pocketgps world website and would love to help any member's and the mods I could put a message of any good news or bads news to remind them like the last time if they are happy enough I did before but I won't do any talking on board at the moment, I have to calm down at the moment which is has killing me of making my Censored pressure to the roof I could not help it of my english word trying to make the word look right or if it bad I don't know. I am very sorry for all's of you here, I need to lie down for a rest I got a bad headache since from last night all day today still now I need to take pain table to calm down my head.

If you all's really want me back here for any good news to post on board on the next time, you have to ask the mods to sort out the problem of my feeling I do not wish to get upset next time of lock up post.

Take care.

Stargate.
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

before anybody gives another thought to leaving this forum may i be so bold as to suggest that people take a deep breath, count to 10 and go back to the beginning of this thread

Stargate2006 wrote:
you have to ask the mods to sort out the problem of my feeling I do not wish to get upset next time of lock up post.

is this not the reasoning behind this thread because GPS_fan saw thread A (in this instance one of Stargate's) being locked for something relatively trivial whereas threads B & C are allowed to roll on and on (and on and on) regardless and wished for forum rules to be applied equally to everybody

although GPS_fan and Stargate seem to be looking for the same thing satellites have gone awol somewhere along the line and they seem to have driven into each other instead of driving side by side toward the same goal Cheers!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in answer to the original discussion, moderation is done by volunteers to the best of their abilities. As moderators they are part of the PGPS team and have our full support. The decision to intervene in any thread will always be a subjective one, there are no firm rules for when a post needs to be moderated and on balance I believe we get it right 'most' of the time.

However we handle the forums we will on occasion make mistakes and no matter how hard we try, we cannot please everyone all of the time.

As has been said earlier, the forums are on the whole a pleasant place to visit with many users offering advice and answers and only a very very few posts need to be moderated at all. We have also agreed to implement an Off Topic Forum so if any of you have suggestions for a suitable name let me know. It will be available in a few days or so Smile
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been on this forum since yesterday and although i'm not surprised as to what has been posted since, i feel it is sad that stargate2006 should feel as he does and leave.

SpikeyMikey wrote:
Stargate,

It is sad if you feel you have been forced away.

Everybody has opinions, not everybody will agree with every point of view, that is the society we live in thankfully.

The more opinons and contributors there are, the better the debate.

We all offer solutions etc., not always correctly in my case, but we all contribute.

Shouting and bullying should not be tolerated anywhere for any reason, and I can see in several posts this has been done by different posters to various degrees.

Moderators are there to do a job, and on the whole I feel this site is one of the better run ones, not just in the GPS category.

Personally, I thank you for your input, but dont give up, just don't get personal / emotional. And that doesn't mean I'm taking sides, I just want this to be a friendly community, helping each other.

I could not have put this better, i would like to add stargate2006 that you should stay here and still add to the forum as you feel fit, but you must "chill out" and not get too emotional.

I for one would miss your posts as they put some fun into an otherwise boring day.

I use this forum for several reasons -
1) To read and learn, re: general Sat Nav, speed camera problems,
2) Help others where i feel i might be of some help,
3) To get into the occasional discussion as on this thread with like minded enthusiasts,
4) To get updates for speed camera positions.

Overall i treat the entire forum as an area where i can do one, part, or all of the above list as i feel fit without any emotions or stress.
The reasons i get involved in the banter is to breakup up my working day, as my day job can become extremely boring and the day can drag in time.

Above all you can't get in a situation where the comments coming back relating to your own made earlier get you angry or stressed, at that point i "log off" and watch what others say - it is better to walk away than get into a slanging match, after all it is only a discussion on an internet forum.

When you start a thread it is not yours to be the author of, it might be a topic you started but it is for all to join in - whatever that person/s view point is, just learn not to bite, bully or shout, just turn the computer off if you need to and let the thread take it's course.

With that out the way, i hope you have now calmed down and hopefully we can all say WELCOME BACK.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Quote:
We have also agreed to implement an Off Topic Forum so if any of you have suggestions for a suitable name let me know. It will be available in a few days or so

Thanks Darren and all pgpsw, this site has certainly moved along way in the short time i have been here this year.

Hopefully this new area will have slightly more tolerance re: Moderators action, as after all if it is "Off Topic" discussions, it might be more open to different views, however it is also important that there is no bullying, shouting and personal attacks made.

As for a name maybe just "Off Topic Lounge" might suffice without getting too complicated.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Off Topic Forum so if any of you have suggestions for a suitable name let me know

Departure Lounge ...as in departed from topic

Off Topic Cellar

Coffee Lounge
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
Hopefully this new area will have slightly more tolerance re: Moderators action, as after all if it is "Off Topic" discussions

Regarding the ‘off-topic-ness’ of posts, yes. However, this area of the forum will be subject to the same rules as the main forum regarding the type of posts allowed, i.e. no abusive, racist or sexist posts or posts that are not suitable on a family forum. I am sure that all of this will be made clear by the Team once they have implemented the forum.

Regards,

Bo Peep.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: