Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Walking route with MM Issue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Walking route with MM Issue
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike (Trailblazer),

Is it a Smartphone you're using? The MM PPC version GPS setup should have: None, Navman, NMEA, Garmin, Magellan, SiRF (and the PC version has a few more).

Thanks for the NMEA files in your email. Yes, I can see that there are some very small (non-zero) velocities in the "SN off" file (presumably from the Globalsat).

However, somebody has reported that the direction arrow doesn't even disappear at 0.00 knots with the Smartphone version of MM. Did your direction arrow disappear when SN was enabled (where the velocity is reported as 0.00 knots) ?

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
Trailblazer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Allan, thought it was you. You cant hide with a name change Laughing Out Loud.

I use a dell Axim X50v

Nope the only settings i have are NONE,NMEA and NAVMAN, only, nothing else, thats probably why i havn't screwed it all up by now.

The TXT files are from the Gobalsat with SN off and ON
The Holux stays at 0 when SN= off/on

Havn't got a smartphone, can't afford one!

I will have to install the MM prog on the other X50v i have got to check whether the other gps options are there, weird that i havn't got them on mine.

Cheers
Mike
Trailblazer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan, got some really strange effects here.

My 1. Axim doesnt show garmin or sirf on v5.13 b716
My 2. Axim on earlier version does. 5.0.0 b?

Upgraded version on no.2 axim, and Garmon and Sirf dissapear.
Downgrade No.2 Axim back to previous and garmin and sirf does not show.

Hard reset no.1 axim to original and installed mm 5.13. b716 and all worked ok.
Reset backup copy of sprite backup with no satnav stuff installed, and installed MM, and garmin and sirf still do not show.

I cannot see why after a Hard reset and backup restore does MM not show some settings, but the program works fine.

This MM must have some weird bugs in it surely...

Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does seem strange, I have 5.1.3 build 716 on my ipaq and have full access to "None, Navman, NMEA, Garmin, Magellan and SiRF" One thought have you transferred the license details to the PDA from the PC as this can mess up whats available to use - connect the device to the PC and run Memeory Map on the PC - I would try re-installing the PDA application from the PC Memory Map app to be honest - Mike
Trailblazer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, you are dead right. its the licence transfer that corrupts what options i have available.

I installed MM onto PC, and did not enter any licence info, and installed the program from pc to ppc, and options appeared.

As soon as i entered licence info on pc, the data automatically goes to ppc, and the options disappear.

Wow, weird. Do you know of a way i can round it? I cant see a way of installed licece details directly on ppc.

Cheers
Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You enter the licence details to the PC Application which is subsequently transferred to the PDA automatically AFAIK you cannot enter these details directly on the PDA in a manual way.
BTW I have just been out with the Holux GR-271 (CF Product) and it works fine with respect to the original problem, will try one of the 236 units next - Mike
Trailblazer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt think you'd reply that fast. I tried installing licence file manually as you suggested, but it didnt work.

I tried a file i found on MM forum called PKN_Cleanup, which lets you add/delete data from memory inc serial number. I could get the serial number in though.

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/board/index.php?showtopic=8149

I tried an earlier version of MM map, and that was successful to get all options appearing, Must be my new version that has these issues.

Alas though, when i select sirf mode and 38400 baud, the gpslim is not recognised by the program, and had to revert back to NMEA.

Oh well, i think that about exhausts everything to get the GPslim working properly.

Cheers
Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say the 236 isn't recognised when using SiRF mode in the program have you previously switched the 236 to SiRF mode using the method I detailed earlier (it is contained in the link) - I know this method works, not all other methods appear to work 100% from what I have seen etc.

One other idea (a bit drastic) is to hard reset the PDA and start with a complete clean install, the only problem is this will wipe everything from the unit - don't use a back-up to re-install the software - re-install it from the PC application at a time.

When you say the newer version of MM is giving you the problems, what version of maps are you trying to install to the device, if they are not version 5 maps they won't work with the Memory Map version 5 software.

As for a quick reply I came down off the higher walk due to high gusting winds - didn't want to get injured, and its close to lunchtime - will stick to lower levels this afternoon. - Mike
Trailblazer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh, Missed that bit.

I use Tomtom gps 2.06 or 2.07 driver to switch, (Forgot to do that)
Thought MM would do that.

I switched, and used the v5 b608 MM version, and selected sirf, and program came to life and operated as it should do. Ie, the pointer started jumping around like the new globalsat.

I then upgraded, to v5.1.3 b716, and all i can see in GPS setup is the usual none, navman and Nmea.
the program is still working ok though. but alas i think whe i switch the gps back to nmea, and go back to sirf then MM will not be recognised anymore.

At least it works though, but its strange that one version of the MM software works great, and as soon as the program is upgraded then options dissapear.

Might just use the V5 b608 for a while, it does what i want it to do.
Not sure of the diferences between 500.608 and 513.716 though

Ps, This is all after a full hard reset, no programs installed whatsoever, apart from sirftech, gps2.07 and MM

Thanks for your advice
Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never assume software will do what you require of it - even production released code sometimes does strange things.
I have tried the V5,1,3 Build 716 on the following devices:

T-Mobile Ameo
T-Mobile Compact III
HTC P3300
Imate PDA-n
iPAQ-4700

And I get full menu options for the GPS manufacturer on each PDA, I don't have an earlier release available to try though I have no need.

A mate from work has the same PDA as you use so I will try loading it to that when I get back, and see if perhaps it is a hardware issue with the Dell (Quite possible TBH), for now I would leave the older software installed as at least that does what you want of it - Mike
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trailblazer,

Quote:
Not sure of the diferences between 500.608 and 513.716 though

FWIW here are the release notes on the MM website. But I'm not sure how complete they are; for example no mention of the automatic SiRF/NMEA switching bug/feature (which seems to have been introduced during v5).

A number of people do appear to have had problems, particularly upgrading from 5.1.1 to 5.1.3. Have you always installed MM in the "default" location on PPC? However, I've put MM in default RAM, ROM and on flash cards at various times and not had any problems with my PPCs.

Cheers, Alan.
Trailblazer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Hi Alan. thanks for input.

At present Im using v5.0.0 build 608, and that is working like a charm.

I have not seen any bug. Once switched into sirf via TOTOM 2.06 driver, the gps stays in sirf no matter what you do in memory map.

I have proved this by using GPS viewer and tomtom which don't work.

Although if you use MIO map, then that works with SIRF great. IMO MIOMAP is better than tomtom anyway, so thats a plus, and will hopefully stop the loss of sync issues with the GPSLIM nad bluetooth.

I havn't installed MM to the main memory, just to built in storage and memory cards. I hate stuff in memory, causes probs. the prog works fine, its only when the serial number is transferred does sirf options disappear. I have proved this by deleting registration details in MM in regedit in pc, so licence details cannot transfer to ppc, and MM works fine.

Its only when the licence is transferred i have that problem. No probs though, its working for what i use it for.

Only difference between the GPSLIM in sirf and Globalsat in nmea, is that Globalsat is stabler. The gpslim, has a habbit of losing the sat sync, ( the red crosshairs) go off for a short while then reappear again. (I havn't tried th globalsat in sirf mode though. not sure whether too since it works fine.)

the globalsat doesnt do this. Not too big a deal though.

Cheers all and thanks for input.
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trailblazer,

Yes, I think the MM "SiRF auto-switch commands" were introduced at about v.5.0.6 (with other features like the useful multiple index-files support). In principle, they try to do the "right" thing when SiRF mode is selected in MM, i.e. if they find the GPS in SiRF protocol, then they leave it that way on exit. But if the GPS is initially in NMEA mode they automatically switch it to SiRF protocol and (try to) return it to NMEA on exit (or when NMEA mode is selected).

However, IMHO this is a "bad feature" because if the "back to NMEA command" is lost (due to the WM OS problem, or maybe MM crashing) then the GPS is left in SiRF mode. Thus a naive user can be faced with the need to use advanced software like SirfTech to fix the problem. There are a number of threads on the MM forum where their technical support have claimed that a GPS is "faulty" and should be returned to the manufacturer, when it's actually MM that has "killed" it!

Cheers, Alan.
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Walking route with MM Issue Reply with quote

Hi,

Back to the original topic in this thread: Thanks to inkhorn's information in this thread, I have upgraded the firmware in my Holux236 to v.3.2.2... However, the "slow walking" problem doesn't seem much better, with a minimum reported (non-zero) speed of perhaps 1.8 knots in the NMEA RMC sentences. This still makes the 236 fairly useless for route-following or geocaching with Memory Map.

As described elsewhere, I've made some of these measurements sitting in my living room with desktop PC and the GPS close to a window. As is to be expected, the position wanders slowly, but MM (in NMEA mode) steadfastly reports zero speed (for 99+% of the time) in its "position" window. However, the "average speed" jumps erratically (between zero and perhaps 0.5mph) every 16 seconds, so it looks as if this average is simply calculated from the change in position every 16 seconds.

In an attempt to log the minimum (non-zero) reported speed, I changed the MM (active) Track "minimum update interval" to 1 second and "minimum update distance" to 0 metres and watched the speed profile (it may be necessary to first run MM in SiRF mode, to get a non-zero speed for MM to setup its graph). What surprised me is that the track distance increments by a foot or two every second and so the calculated speed for the "journey" (whilst sitting in my living room!) is typically 1mph.

Now, the 1 second update interval may have made this error worse, but even the default 10 seconds seems to produce a significant rise in the measured distance, and suggests that track distances calculated by MM may be unrealistically high, when walking. Yet another reason why I prefer a handheld GPS for walking/geocaching, where the trip computer and saved tracklog distances are reasonably consistent (and in agreement with reality).

Incidentally, (since my window is south facing and I've enabled WAAS/EGNOS), some of the time MM has been reporting a "Differential fix using 5+ satellites", but the positional errors look no different. However, I'm not a believer that EGNOS will be of much practical benefit to "amateur" users.

Cheers, Alan.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: