Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Disappointed with Navman ICN 530 !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Disappointed with Navman ICN 530 !
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 4Andy:

I believe that the ICN530 was discontinued about a year ago and replaced by the N series so it looks as though PCWorld are getting shot of old stock. By my reckoning your gripe is really with them rather than Navman. To be fair though I am not sure that even the N series is any better with regard to Ireland mapping.

Terry Walsh
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw this "photo story" about TeleAtlas mapping vans:
http://networks.silicon.com/silicon/networks/mobile/0,39024665,39167214-6,00.htm

The most interesting part is this:
Quote:
Tele Atlas estimates around 20 per cent of the European road network changes each year, meaning it constantly needs field data from across Europe.

If 20% of EU network changes every year, I'm surprised these things work as well as they do!
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the really mean is that 20% of their map data changes every year - there is a significant difference between that and the roads changing.

Are you really foolish enough to believe that 20% of the roads are ripped up and rebuilt in a different place each year, and/or 20% of intersections have a turn restriction or traffic control changed, and 20% more roads are addeed etc. In other words, maps that are 5 years old would have little in common with maps of today. In this case, my original iCN630 would be completely useless, which it isn't.

By the time you take into account all the data that does not make it down to your SatNav, because it is not relivent or accurate enough to be useable, that 20% comes out at probably less then 1%.

Don't be conned into the annual map update cycle. It's a sales pitch, just like the "Would you like fries with that", the "Mechanical warreties" sold by car deallers etc. Yes- if your money grows on trees, or you are the type of person that has the latest and flashest toys etc, go for it. But if you are like me, on a budget and want want value for money, your 5 year old SatNav will still get you where you want to go 99% of time, and a $10 paper map will get you that last half mile.

If only I had the dosh to be in the first group Smile
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheM wrote:
I just saw this "photo story" about TeleAtlas mapping vans:
http://networks.silicon.com/silicon/networks/mobile/0,39024665,39167214-6,00.htm

The most interesting part is this:
Quote:
Tele Atlas estimates around 20 per cent of the European road network changes each year, meaning it constantly needs field data from across Europe.

If 20% of EU network changes every year, I'm surprised these things work as well as they do!

I believe it. It's fascinating how they put these maps together and update their data. Tele Atlas does a heckuva job.
Nigbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very pleased with my icn 530 & used it in Spain lat year in a hire car to excellent effect

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: