Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What constitutes a custom POI file?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What constitutes a custom POI file?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haroldwalters
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: What constitutes a custom POI file? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone.
I recently asked some questions about Downloading POI’s. I received several helpful answers and I must say that I’m very grateful. However, I was also warned that my Tom Tom device has a limit of 100 custom POI files. As welcome as this advice is, it puts me in a position where I’m not sure where I stand.

The reason is: When I purchased the Tom Tom I was given the option to download as a free offer, the location of speed cameras. I have done so, and they work fine. But how many POI files has that taken up?

The trouble is, I’m not sure what constitutes a file. For Example: Say I choose the Accommodation category. I would imagine that’s one file. But what about the sub-categories? Lets say I choose Holiday inns and Innkeepers Lodge. Are they one file each? Finally, lets say there are 10 Innkeepers Lodge’s and 6 Holiday Inns. Does each one count as a File?

I realise that I’m beginning to make a nuisance of myself if I’m not careful, but I hope you agree that it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks in advance all, Harold Walters.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: What constitutes a custom POI file? Reply with quote

haroldwalters wrote:
The reason is: When I purchased the Tom Tom I was given the option to download as a free offer, the location of speed cameras. I have done so, and they work fine. But how many POI files has that taken up?
If they are the TT camera files, they no longer count towards the 100 limit. However they are not a complete Camera Database, and you cannot configure the Warn When Near.

haroldwalters wrote:
The trouble is, I’m not sure what constitutes a file. For Example: Say I choose the Accommodation category. I would imagine that’s one file. But what about the sub-categories? Lets say I choose Holiday inns and Innkeepers Lodge. Are they one file each? Finally, lets say there are 10 Innkeepers Lodge’s and 6 Holiday Inns. Does each one count as a File?
One File consists of a collection of locations.

Using Accommodation as an example, you can have just one category called Accommodation and it can contain as many of the sub-categories as you desire. The text in the Name field changes to reflect which sub-category it belongs to.

Example: 52.12345,0.12345,"Holiday Inn, Anytown (+441234567890)"

You can also download the sub-categories as individual categories. Each sub-category will then count as one POI File.

Example: The Holiday Inn POI would show as 52.12345,0.12345,"Anytown (+441234567890)"

The POI Files themselves can contain several thousands of locations. The only limitation in this respect is the size of the storage and the slight increase in search time when extremely large POI Files are used. Those with over 100,000 locations.

haroldwalters wrote:
but I hope you agree that it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Indeed it is. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
haroldwalters
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to Oldboy Reply with quote

Thanks Richard,
Your answer has put my mind to rest. I'm grateful.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: