Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Startup and drive process.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Startup and drive process.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Startup and drive process. Reply with quote

I went ahead and bought the IPAQ 2210 & Haicom 203s (TomTom2) system for £515 and I have to say so far it is exactly what I wanted.

Quick question though - Is there an specified amount of time you must allow before driving off? I've read a bit about hot and cold starts and wonder just how long the vehicle needs to remain stationary in order to get a good lock on the sats.

Chris
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to this is to wait until you have a lock. In TomTom, start it up and wait until it acquires a fix, this is indicated by your position being displayed on the map and a 'beep'.

Older systems were much more fussy about getting a fiz more quickly if stationary. For current systems this is far less important, trial and error will tell but you should eb able to drive off and still get a fix within a minute or so so long as you don't live in a heavily built-up area Thumbs Up
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Startup and drive process. Reply with quote

ChrisR wrote:
Quick question though - Is there an specified amount of time you must allow before driving off? I've read a bit about hot and cold starts and wonder just how long the vehicle needs to remain stationary in order to get a good lock on the sats.

In practice, the GPS will take 45-60 seconds to lock onto the visible satelites from cold but once the lock is established it will lock on again almost instantly.

If you have been parked somewhere with a limited view of the sky and the GPS has been off for a while (cold start) then it is often worth moving to a position where you have a good sky view and waiting for the receiver to lock on.

Take a look at the status screen next time you cold start. It shows you which satelites it can see, which ones are obscured and which ones it is locking onto. If you want to be pedantic then you can have a bit of a wander around outside until your GPS has a lock on all (or most) of the satelites in the sky.

Generally I only do this if I am cold starting the GPS and then going into an area with a very limited view of the sky.

If you get an initial fix using 5 or 6 sats then it will pick up the others as you drive along. But if you only get 3 or 4 for the initial fix or you are navigating in a built-up or forested area, then you may find that you lose your position very easily until it has had time to get an initial lock on all the satelites in view.

Good luck!
ChrisR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - it seems that I get at least 5 sats within a few seconds of switching on and when we get moving it quickly jumps up to between 6 and 8 (receiver positioned on passenger door window)

My only niggle now is the speed at which the system issues directions. It can be a little slow to tell you to get in the right lane etc when on complicated junctions (as my wife found out this evening and hasnt stopped nagging me since). Is there a way to up the speed of the directions, so they are issues slightly sooner?

Chris
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of a 203s? Could it be a 203e? If so, what driver are you using in TomTom Navigator?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a 203S but I have never seen one. Haicom do have the S-series on their new 204 range. The S denotes SiRF chipset.
ChrisR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly worrying that you have not heard of it - does that mean I bought a lemon? It seems to function well enough and its positioning is pretty muhc bang on on the TT maps.

http://www.handtec.co.uk/moreinfo.asp?ProductID=168
ChrisR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im loosing the bloody plot - its a Haicom 204 s :|

I looked at the advert a few times to confirm I had it right and still didnt notice.

Rolling Eyes
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! That makes sense! Chris, what driver do you use in TomTom?
ChrisR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use version 2.09 (I think Smile )
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Within the TomTom GPS config, what setting have you used i.e. 'Haicom GPS' or 'NMEA 0183v2 4800' etc?
ChrisR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh. Well, I initially selected 'Haicom GPS' driver, but having just checked, it seems it have reverted to 'TomTom Navigation GPS'. I've just been out to do some collections (approx 30 miles) and its been pretty much spot on all the way.

What should I be using?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually the NMEA 0183v2 4800 is the better one to use, the other named drivers can have other tweaks that you're not aware of. Although some of them work well, others aren't to be trusted, so if in doubt use the NMEA driver.
ChrisR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have changed the driver, but will have to wait till this evening to test it out as the van has gone back into citroen.

Thanks.

Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: