Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can Navman N20 be used for walking?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can Navman N20 be used for walking?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeeInLondon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Can Navman N20 be used for walking? Reply with quote

I have a Navman N20 but as far as I can tell it can only be used to plan routes as if you were driving from point to point NOT walking as can be done with TomTom ?

or even just point to point in a straight line like a Garmin Extrex, is this correct?

If so it's quite disappointing to have a GPS that is so slim and light to carry but not much good when walking to a POI
gambitgander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct... it will plan a route as though you were in a car and won't ignore 1-way systems. It is very unfortunate that the device doesn't have a padestrian mode.
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it doesn't have a pedestrian mode unfortunately.
I found the best way to use it when walking in unknown area is to switch to 2D mode with North locked at the top of the map, set start location manually from the map menu, and then search for location where I want to go (I usually just end up using Nearest POI to determine what's within walking distance). This will start route calculation which will get drawn on the screen. When you start walking car icon will follow you around and you can use route drawn on the screen to get an idea where you should be going -- even though you will want to take shortcuts where car cannot drive (and thus deviate from the route on the screen), route still gives you a general idea of direction in which you should be walking.
One thing to note though is that GPS needs you to be moving fairly fast (20 km/h?) to accurately calculate where you're facing so while car icon will show where you are, it will mostly incorrectly show direction you're facing. For proper pedestrian mode unit needs not just map with pedestrian info and software to use them, but also a built-in compass to accurately show direction pedestrian is facing (or rather where unit is facing).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: