Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Quest - still relevant?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Quest - still relevant?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Garmin Quest - still relevant? Reply with quote

Cheap on ebay, but is this unit now obsolete given more recent models, Rider, Zumo etc. All I need is reliability, spoken instructions and PC route planning. But is the Quest still supported, software updates etc. In short - does it still cut it? Thanks!
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly cutting edge but still a perfectly capable GPS unit that's ideal for bike use. Got mine off eBay for £130 a year ago. The only real limitation is that the memory is fixed. European versions have 256MB of memory (243MB of which you can use to load maps into), beware the US model only has 128MB. The whole of the UK fits onto the unit but if doing European touring, and you have the current mapping or previous (City Nav. V9 and V8 respectively), you might have trouble fitting the whole route on if you're doing big miles. This can be resolved, in virtually all cases, by using MetroGuide Europe (about £50-60 on eBay for v8 ) and MetroWizzz.

Check that the sale includes the mapping DVD and unlock code/s. If it's on V6 or V7 then you might want to bring it up to date with an upgrade to V9 for just over £50 from Garmin.

Budget for a mount/cradle (if not included) and an audio solution to suit your needs.

Not sure what price it's being offered at on eBay but GPSW are doing them new for £180.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Quest is showing it's age now - it's slow, lacks memory for really big road trips, can't do speed camera warnings and the reception isn't as good as the new SiRF units.

That said, I love my little Quest, good build quality and loads of geeky features that the new "dumbed down" units don't have.

Go ahead and buy a Quest if you can't stretch to a TT Rider or Garmin Zumo, but remember that you are buying a unit which is a few years old which in electronic terms is quite old...
JMark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumpkin, Skippy, many thanks for your very useful replies. I was hoping that the Zumo price might come down, but I'm fed up of waiting. All I need GPS for is a Sunday blast (presume you know about this site and it's route downloads: www.bestbikingroads.com), so a Quest should do the job - it would go with my brick sized mobile phone and betamax video player...
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of those routes I've looked at on bestbikingroads.co.uk they only seem to provide start and end points in GPX format rather than a full route. You'll need to open these in MapSource and, going by the description on the site, define the route between these points.

The Zumo would be a better GPS (faster, expandable memory, proximity alerts, pseudo 3D display etc...) but at twice the price of the full Quest bundle not really a goer unless you have the cash to burn. I would of course love one myself but family budget dictates otherwise Sad
ST4S
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Still relevant... Reply with quote

I haven't tried a newer unit, but the Q1 still works for me. It's never let me down yet. I haven't been all over Europe, but I do various bits of France 2 or 3 times a year with no prob's. If you know roughly where you are going you just need the map tiles from around your route. The whole of France takes about 500 megs of space in CN V9 on my PC, so there's no way it will all fit in the Quest. However, given that Quest is old technology, if I ever have a problem fitting a route in (hasn't happened yet) I'll just buy a 2nd hand unit for fifty quid off e-bay or something and split my journey between units.

At some point the new Euro satellite system will be up (they've started launching them). I'll probably wait 'til that's working before I buy a totally new unit, in case existing ones won't work with it (I'm not 'techie' enough to know).

One thing though, I have noticed that since I started using CN V9 that recalc times seem to take a lot longer ....
FXRStuarty
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking to replace my Navman510 (not waterproof) with something like a Quest 1 which is. I am a bit concerend about the lack of expansion slots in the Quest 1. A HDD is not an option either as I run a Harley and a HDD unit may not like the "environment" :D

Last year a few of my friends and I went to Barcelona and the Calafell Rally. Took the ferry to Ijmuiden in Holland and travelled from there. Would it be possible to fit all the necessary maps for such a journey to a Quest 1?

Which units should I look at? The budget is tight at around 300 quid max

Grateful for any advice. Smile
ST4S
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Barcelona/Calafell Reply with quote

I took a flyer on the Calafell bit as I don't know the exact location of the rally, but taking in Barcelona too, from Ijmuiden to Barcelona/Calafell, selecting 'maps around the route' in CN V9 is 26 maps and 110 megs of disk space, easily transferrable into a Quest1.

You also have at least that much memory again left over in the Quest, if you wanted to add in some diversions.

According to (my) Mapsource the route is 1,026 miles and 14 Hrs 55 minutes travel time, 1 way.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FXRStuarty wrote:
Last year a few of my friends and I went to Barcelona and the Calafell Rally. Took the ferry to Ijmuiden in Holland and travelled from there. Would it be possible to fit all the necessary maps for such a journey to a Quest 1?

Yes, the Holland to Barcelona part of that route would use up about 100 Meg of the 243 meg of memory. The nice thing about the Quest is that you can plan your route in advance on the PC and then upload it. If there are areas where you will make a diversion along scenic routes then you can upload some extra maps.

If you go out of your map coverage area then the Quest can give you some really wacky routing information. I'd recommend that you have a good paper map with you too!
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sake of comparison in City Nav v8 it takes 17 map tiles and 163MB which will fit comfortably on the Quest, however, any extras added would push you near the limit. It's interesting to see the effect of CN v9 on this, I might get around to using my update disk one of these days.

In MetroGuide Europe v8 it takes 63 map tiles and 54MB including the index file built by MetroWizzz.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumpkin wrote:
City Nav v8 it takes 17 map tiles and 163MB
In MetroGuide Europe v8 it takes 63 map tiles and 54MB including the index file built by MetroWizzz.

For info: CNv9 - 25 Maps, 105.5 MB including routing data.

Maybe the tiles are smaller in v9?

In any case, I would choose some extra maps around the route and at any possible detour points then load up the Quest until it's memory was full.
locksmith
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My quest is getting a bit long in the tooth now and I have to use an external antenna now as well so thinking about changing. With the Zumo can you still make routes in mapsource and download to the zumo?
The whole unit looks a bit big and is presumably hard wired to the bike.
Thats what I really love about the quest it's dimentions and long battery.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

locksmith wrote:
With the Zumo can you still make routes in mapsource and download to the zumo?

Yes, Im pretty sure you can and I think it mentions this on Garmin's website as a major feature.

locksmith wrote:
what I really love about the quest it's dimentions and long battery.

Me too. I don't really want to trade my Quest in for a more chunky unit with a worse battery life Confused though the Zumo does have some nice new features.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: