Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SmartST V2 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SmartST V2 released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ability to use the Navtech map data is a major improvement as far as I am concerned. They are more up-to-date and seem to have far less routing problems than the Tele Atlas ones. Of course, that is not much help if you don't actually have the latest Navtech map data.

Postcode search is pretty dire in any version of SmartST or TomTom unless you use Niels Thomsen's UKPostcode add-on (from http://www.digitools.co.uk) in conjunction with TT2.
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running a GPS3450 with SmartST V2 and SP1 installed, but I can't see the Navtech maps I have on my SD card. How did people make them visible Question
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using an Ipaq 5550 with a Navman 4400 I just removed my SD card containing the maps, deinstalled V1, installed V2, applied the service pack, and reinserted the SD card.
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

Re-tried following your steps but SmartST V2 still refused to recognise the SD card. Will flag this as a fault with Navman Sad
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
zeeq
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: how/where did you get V2 and V2SP1? Reply with quote

Sad i purchased SmartST in December last year (with NavMan 3450 sleeve) and woudl like to upgrade the software to V2 as i have been experiencing a lot of the issues mentioned here...
someone mentioned they got it for free from NavMan... they dont even advertise it on their site... how would go about getting my self a copy?
Many Thanks!!
Z
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeeq, When navman told me that the upgrade for my GPS3450 (bought Dec'03) would cost £139.99 I sent them a stroppy e-mail with a copy of the invoice. :x

I did say I would suggest via this web site people should boycott the upgrade and move to TomTom. I have started a thread on this. Clearly this struck a note as they immedately offered me an upgrade. Confused

I have to say I have re-installed V1 as V2 is pants! The teleatlas maps are older than navtech (roads in V1 that are not in V2) and the data is inaccurate, e.g. can show the wrong road number. I would not waste too much time in complaining. Wink

People have suggestd that SP 1 allows you to use the navtech maps. This has not worked for me, maybe we need a SP for the GPS3450 Question
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steveee wrote:
People have suggestd that SP 1 allows you to use the navtech maps.

For a test, yesterday I loaded the V1 map for the Paris area, and then tried out SmartST V2 using this map. It worked fine although I had to load the map to an SD card in my PC as it would not load directly to the Ipaq.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The teleatlas maps are older than navtech (roads in V1 that are not in V2) and the data is inaccurate, e.g. can show the wrong road number.

Well in light of this fact maybe we (who have recently paid full price for V2) should request a copy of V1 maps if that is more up to date, without charge of course.
Or even better still, a FREE upgrade to the latest mapping when it is finally released.
Would that be an unfair request?
gambitgander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steveee, I don't see why you went into a strop about having to pay for updated maps. Granted, the software was a bit flakey, but then again, what software package isn't.

I have been looking at other GPS companies, and the cost of upgrades. OMG! Medion charge £75 per map!! I, personally, am elated that Navman offer the WHOLE of Europe for so little. I wouldn't be surprised if Navman thought "To hell with this, let's regionalise our products" and charge per country. Bit of a if you travel to a number of countries in Europe.
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gambitgander, the reason I had a strop is that Navman announced a £139.99 upgrade charge for a product 1 month old with no discount option. The claim of "Latest Up-to-Date Maps" is very misleading. Twisted Evil

If I had paid for the upgrade I would have been very unhappy. The maps are not updated navtech maps but teleatlas maps. My personal experience is that there are roads in the "old" Navtech maps not included in the updated maps. I have yet to find a road in the teleatlas maps that is not in the Navtech maps. Exclamation

The map data is also inaccurate. Where roads merge SmartST regularly reports the wrong road name or number. Typically it reports you are on the A57 when you are really on the A1. Rolling Eyes At roundabouts it may say take 3rd exit A57 when it means take 3rd exit A1. People using the "next instruction" screen would be totally lost. Exclamation

I agree that the Navman price for a complete set of European maps and software is very competitive but as I only use the UK maps, it is more when compared to other suppliers with UK only maps. What I want is a set of UK maps that are accurate, complete and software that works. Wink
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
gambitgander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find that the £139.99 is a discounted price. The RRP is £179.99.

I think, though, that the problem lies with the actual application. Tom Tom use TA maps, and as far as I have seen, there are no problems when it comes to finding and routing to places. That being the case, I would imagine that a free service pack need to be released.

Let;s hope ther isn't too much of a delay before regional maps are available
JB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone had contact details for who they dealt with at Navman I would be most grateful.

I purchased my 3450 in December, registered it and requested map updates for weeks after. I was assured that they would be made available. I have only just learned of the new version and am being asked to pay £140 for a software update released a month after I bought my 3450, software and all the bits.

If this is the way Navman intend to treat users, I suspect they'll rapidly lose customers to Tom Tom, Destinator and the like.

Jules
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

I'm not sure how the Software upgrade was applied to your 3450 but here is how it worked for the iCN 630.

On 02 February 2004 I received an e-mail from Navman-Europe inviting me to register for the new Sotware upgrade, but it did say at that time the offer was only available for a limited time of 30 days. I registered and duly received the upgrade which included the new Maps.

The contact telephone number for Navman-Europe is 0129 378 0500.

Presumably from what you are saying you received no notification from them in which case I should get back to them and ask why you were not notified.

Best of luck Thumbs Up

alfieB

Navman iCN630

Navman N60i

Navman Mio S505

Navman Mio Spirit 695 LM

Mio Spirit 7670 LM Truck
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No free software upgrade was announced for the 3450. Twisted Evil Free upgrades have only been provided to people who complained and made a business case, i.e. a new purchase.
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
JB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I complained and got my free upgrade a couple of days ago.

Complaining shouldn't have been part of the package.

Jules

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: