Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Change in UK Law to Render Mobile Database Useless?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Change in UK Law to Render Mobile Database Useless?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klystron_generator wrote:
classy56 wrote:
If I told you another little fact about my driving I would make you look really silly Wink

i'm still waiting to be made to look really silly, looks like i might have a long wait Wink

all quiet on the Dorset front Laughing

The fact that you are sitting there anxious for a reply to your childishness, IS making you look silly. Laughing

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The fact that you are sitting there anxious for a reply to your childishness, IS making you look silly.
Thumbs Up :P
awake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
classy56 wrote:
If I told you another little fact about my driving I would make you look really silly Wink

i'm still waiting to be made to look really silly, looks like i might have a long wait Wink

all quiet on the Dorset front Laughing

The fact that you are sitting there anxious for a reply to your childishness, IS making you look silly. Laughing

Don't be so stupid.
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
I admit there are two types of speeders, those that are more than capable of doing high speeds safely, and I witness these drivers daily and you can see they are capable by their driving style ( not harrassing other motorists and not taking risks at every opportunity)

Then you have those that are speeding and don't give a damn about anybody else taking risks at every opportunity and putting everybodies lives around them at risk.

classy56 wrote:
If God forbid, a member of your family was killed by a speeding driver, would your attitude still be that speeding is ok because the laws are wrong?

surely in your case it would depend which of the two types of speeding driver was at blame

obviously a safe driving style makes you immune from accidents Wink

of course there's no such thing as an 'accident' anymore and "where there's blame there's a claim"

classy56 wrote:
those that are more than capable of doing high speeds safely, and I witness these drivers daily and you can see they are capable by their driving style

do these drivers have a force field rendering them unaffected by all the other idiots who cut you up, change lane without signalling, cut across mutliple lanes in a single manouvre etc etc Question

even (or especially) you should know that speeding has to be looked at as a complete picture rather than isolating some drivers from the inadequacies of others because we all share the same roads at the end of the day Confused

DaveNN wrote:
I, recently, took the option of doing a days speed awareness course (ran by the local 'partnership'...which was very good & informative), in lieu of 3 points. I asked why do the cameras not have the speed limit on the back face (or HUGE Speed limit signs prior to a Mobile Unit), as you approach?...the response was, in effect, that it would reduce the amount of culprits caught.

it's interesting how classy56 didn't give any smartarse response to this post when so many other posts have been so heavily criticised Confused
tchart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The New Zealand government did something similar 5 or 6 years ago.

Prior to that speed camera areas had to be sign posted (ie a sign at the start and end of any stretch of road that could possibly be monitored by a speed camera).

Nowadays they dont have to sign post and can park where ever they want.

Trevor
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Die-a-tribe Reply with quote

I've been off line for a week or so after killing the PC. Could someone explain to me what the previous 7 pages are about. Seems to be another thread needing locked.
biffmanno1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: new speed camera law Reply with quote

i think the police need to get with the program. there are thousnds of us drivers hounded by these cameras every day and all we are trying to do is earn money. i think there needs to be some new guidelins drawn up as what is to stop them puting a van on a blind corner just to make money, cos lets face it the camera population has sored ever since the goverment said that the police could have the money from the cameras. its daylight robbery and easy money for them. i also think how can they call these safty cameras when all they do is catch speeding. safety is to make us aware not punish us for going 1 or 2 miles over the speed limit as most forces give zero tollorance now. if you are speeding i mean 10 to 20 miles over then you desirve to get done,but most of us dont and it is so easy to go just over as you are paying so much attention looking for these cameras and other mad people on the rd it will always happen Evil or Very Mad
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Louda wrote:
Could someone explain to me what the previous 7 pages are about. Seems to be another thread needing locked.

if somebody is not capable of reading or comprehending comments then i would not have thought they should embarrass themselves further by asking for something they don't understand to be locked Confused

once upon a time there was a speed camera database

then the wicked fairy in the woods changed the rules governing mobile speed cameras

a point was raised about how these rule changes would affect the database

discussion soon turned to the real function of these cameras and the merit of speeding

the end

would you like somebody to draw pictures to help you understand
Question
awake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Louda wrote:
Could someone explain to me what the previous 7 pages are about. Seems to be another thread needing locked.

if somebody is not capable of reading or comprehending comments then i would not have thought they should embarrass themselves further by asking for something they don't understand to be locked Confused

Can't argue with that!
Lock the thread? I hardly think it deserves that at the moment.
At least it is relatively lively or maybe you are right we could just lock it and set up yet another tedious thread on 'replacing my splash screen or 'how do I reset my 300'?
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: new speed camera law Reply with quote

biffmanno1 wrote:
. . . what is to stop them puting a van on a blind corner just to make money, . . .

Surely that's just the place a camera should be. If you're speeding on a blind corner it's not just a speed camera that might take you by surprise. Confused
Samsung Galaxy S21
awake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: new speed camera law Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
biffmanno1 wrote:
. . . what is to stop them puting a van on a blind corner just to make money, . . .

Surely that's just the place a camera should be. If you're speeding on a blind corner it's not just a speed camera that might take you by surprise. Confused

How many blind bends do you speed around?
And you can just picture the scene - car drives around tight blind bend and spots scamera van, panics and hits the breaks, on a bend 8O
Look if these devices were really designed to be a deterrent at best they would only 'zap' you as you are passing having been highly visible on the approach and being rear facing.
Driving standards in this country are in freefall due to this misplaced obsession with speed and there in lye's the cause of the majority of the accidents on our roads, driver error.
How are we addressing driving standards with speed cameras, please tell me.
All next week when driving about you observe the occasions when you see a potential accident and I'll wage any money it's not down to speed.
The cause will be impatience, ignorance or just plain recklessness.
Why is it if someone overtakes at speed on a blind bend the cause of any collision will be solely placed at the door of speed when I would suggest the real cause was infact the wreckless manoeuvre.
I suggest you obtain a freedom of information request from your local constabulary to see the reduction in Police road patrols in your area and I guarantee they will have been reduced by at least ten per cent.
What would you say is a more effective safety policy, being 'pulled' by a properly trained police patrol and given 'advice' on your driving standards or a camera that gets you for a minor infringement of a speed limit.
I see more dangerous driving in built up areas were it is not possible to exceed the speed limit than I do on a motorway were speeds are broken by 20 mph or more.
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: new speed camera law Reply with quote

awake wrote:

i'm sure our resident expert would love to answer this although he's ignoring my requests for additional information about his driving
awake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally can I just ask how my camera supporters out there have taken additional driver training since the passing of their driving test?
Advanced driving, speed awareness course or looked at their highway code recently? or do you consider any of the above unnecessary as these issues should be dealt with for you by the goverment using cctv etc?
Or is it simply due to you maintaining impeccable driving standards based on the standards you achieved at the time of your test pass which let's face is the lowest standard allowed to let you loose on the road, not just my opinion but that of the entire driver training industry.
A level by the way the vast majority of drivers fall below once qualified.
awake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: new speed camera law Reply with quote

awake wrote:

i'm sure our resident expert would love to answer this although he's ignoring my requests for additional information about his driving

Mate apparently you are making yourself look silly waiting for the answer to your question.
So says someone who finds it necessary to list the properties of their satnav below their posts, posts incidentally of which they have made in excess of 1200 making them a fanatic apparently.
Ironic really as posting is rather like driving, the fact you do it a lot doesn't necessarily mean you become any better at it.

Last edited by awake on Mon May 21, 2007 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: new speed camera law Reply with quote

awake wrote:
How many blind bends do you speed around?

I try not to exceed the speed limit at all, and certainly not on a blind bend for my own sake. If I can't see round the bend I have no idea what might be in the road.
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 7 of 14

Jump to: