Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Change in UK Law to Render Mobile Database Useless?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Change in UK Law to Render Mobile Database Useless?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
If I told you another little fact about my driving I would make you look really silly Wink

Go ahead and make me look really silly or at best give others participating in this thread food for thought because from where i'm sitting it doesn't look like it's me who's in the minority here Not Worthy
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of our local roads had the speed limit reduced from 60mph to 40mph and is subject to speed checks now. Two serious accidents broughbt about this action supposedly. Both were late at night and involved young male drunken drivers, one was killed and the other a son of a colleague of my wife was nearly 4 times over the booze limit when he rolled his car.
No doubt the law thinks that a drunk will respect lower limits Wink we understand that both drunk drivers were way over the 60 mph limit Crying or Very sad
The junction where we join the road had only had one accident that we know of in over twenty years until the reduction in the limit to 40mph.
We have now had over 20 accidents there. And there have been others along the road where there were none before.

Many speed limits are un realistic and to slow and only reflect low quality in driving standards (that the police ignore) and ability and have next to nothing to do with speed.

If the law wants respect it should give motorists respect in return. Spates of burgalaries and other crimes in our village go un-attended as the police are to busy. Yet they can have time to chase and criminalise drivers who slip over the 40 limit as the road conditions do not reflect the need for such a low speed.

Some would say money has nothing to do with the laws action. Those in the know and realists know the truth. Rolling Eyes
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on boys and girls, everyone has now vented thier concerns over speeding but this post was about the mobile database. If someone dosn't lock it now they soon will.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
awake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
Come on boys and girls, everyone has now vented thier concerns over speeding but this post was about the mobile database. If someone dosn't lock it now they soon will.

The mobile database is soon to become useless!
That's it really, there is nothing else to be said on the matter in my opinion.
As for locking the thread I see no point in doing so simply because we have digressed a bit but let's face it we are not exactly a million miles from 'home' are we?
Besides I for one am still awaiting on an insightful post from classy56.

Last edited by awake on Sun May 20, 2007 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
squirrelone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets face it the only reason speed cameras are placed where they are is to generate income for Gordon Brown. He does not care one bit about road safety, the associated cost to the NHS for RTA's just the nett £ he will get from the motorist. Remember most associated costs form speed camera convictions also generates VAT at 17.5% - he is quids in and it will never stop. George Orwell in 1984 it is everything he predicted and more. Time to leave this land for a place that is sane!
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
you all comeback avoiding the questions and instead trying to be sarcastic and smartarses

BTW I answer like for like, get smart with me expect it back Wink

does this not mean that you are also sarcastic and a smartarse Laughing
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should be called the "Dick Turpin Partnership" rather than the "Road Safety Partnership" as this stopped being about road safety a long time ago.
danandyozz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like we're all going to need a laser and radar detectors as well as a GPS for fixed cameras such as monitron and SPECS. Wot i would like is a specs addon to the TOM TOM that clocks ur average speed between the two cameras as the location of specs cameras doesn't really help at all! However unfortunately we'll always be one step behing the speed trappers!

Going back to breaking the law. I have a 1993 mk3 golf which has a rather shocking stopping distance at 75mph (70 on the tom tom as the speedo is soo inaccurate) if you compare this to an audi TT or other performace cars they can stop in a shorter distance at 100mph than my car at 70mph.

The government should make all cars have ABS and EBD and rear discs as standard, NOW THAT WOLD SAVE LIVES. And they need to calibrate speedos so that people don't sit doing 35 in a 40 AND EVERYONE OFF.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mgibbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that if the government were serious about reducing speeding in the name of safety and not revenue generation then they'd introduce a policy of fitting speed restricters to new cars as well as heavy vehicles.

Mark
jvc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're banging on about drunks etc not getting caught by cameras, what about drivers who are just natural cretins?
In our county a few years ago, a Chrismas campaign was held where the police pulled over everyone that was driving in a manner that suggested they may have had a couple of sherbets.
15% were found to be a bit tipsy and a huge cheer went up on such a good result.
What no-one seemed to grasp is that 85%, who were driving so badly, were stone cold sober.
Some people should never pass a test. When they've taken it, say, 5 times, that should be it. It'd be a fluke if they passed.
I can't play a flute, I can't speak Serbo-Kroat and I accept that, but everyone thinks they can drive and, no matter how useless they are, they think it's their God given right to take to the roads.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The government should make all cars have ABS and EBD and rear discs as standard, NOW THAT WOULD SAVE LIVES. .

Not necessarily. A while back when ABS started to be fitted on the lower priced family cars, I was passenger in a friends car when I commented I thought he was a bit close to the car in front, he replied 'I've got ABS'. I said 'Supposing the car in front has ABS'? He slowed and kept a reasonable distance. I agree EBD is good as are tubeless radial tyres and disc brakes, seat belts, air bags etc but they all give a false sense of security to many, and I believe these things add to the confidence of drivers driving faster.

What you need is poor drum brakes, which fade when going down long hills, bald tyres, no seat belts and a large metal spike in the centre of the steering wheel ending a few inches from the breast bone. Watch people slow down then. :P

Quote:
And they need to calibrate speedos so that people don't sit doing 35 in a 40 AND Censored EVERYONE OFF

Would that be calibrate speedos when the car has new tyres or when getting down to the the minimum legal tread depth? Maybe a more accurate way of indicating speed would be better. Laser beam flashed under the car and picked up by a sensor? Dunno really, but surely the 'egg heads' out there wouldn't find it too difficult to come up with a solution.

I understand what you mean about cars in front having inaccurate speedos, my previous car, an automatic, wouldn't change into third until 30mph and fourth at 45, so the one in front sticking to his indicated 30mph but actually 27 in town, I travelled nearly everywhere is 2nd gear.
MaxRider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Cumbria and can remember when they used to announce on the local radio where the cameras were going to be stationed on a particular day. I can only assume that the revenue has dried, up if they were really concerned about deaths on the roads they would do something about accident blackspots instead of having people sitting on there arses all day taking pictures. Why don't they put more cameras on motorways where 80 % of traffic go over the limit, of course the motorways would grind to a halt if everyone did 70 I can't remember the last time I saw a police car doing 70 on the motorway with no one passing and a long tailback.
Gl3n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: It just gets worse Reply with quote

This news just makes me fume. I find the use cameras in the UK frustrating. There are a couple of cameras near Edinburgh that were placed on an underpass when it was being built - three accidents? - yeah right.

I just spent a few days over in Germany recently. I saw one police car on the autobahn and just a few cameras though I'm not sure what they were for! Yes there are unristricted places on the motorway and people take advantage of them. They also respect the speed limits when in place. There were a few cameras in towns but they were wher eyou would expect them to be - near schools.

Roadworks didn't have miles of cones before them - just a few signs. People slowed down to the set speed during the road works and once clear the speed limit was raised.

I noticed a few motorway signs recently going on about speed limits and fuel economy. Driving to London from Edinburgh at the speed limit I am lucky to 400 miles from a tank. Driving in Germany at about 100+ for a good part of the time and I get 500 miles from a tank. An 8 year old Mondeo before you ask.

Cameras are just there to make money otherwise they would be outside every school which would be sensible but when has this government been sensible.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote above:
Quote:
I think some of you are getting totally paranoid, as for the "Holier Than Thou" brigade - interesting but not a lot you can say in return, wish i was a "fly on the wall" when they are driving.

classy56 wrote:
Quote:
Could also be translated to read " Far More Considerate Driver Than Thou" brigade. So if someone doesn't agree with speeding they are "Holier Than Thou" are they?

What about drink driving? I am totally against that as well, does that make me "Holier Than Thou" or do you agree with drink driving? or are you like me "Holier Than Thou".

Lets be sensible about it

As always when you reply, you have gone off the subject again which is -
Change in UK Law to Render Mobile Database Useless?

My comment above was a small part of the post and was an observation, mostly of which i stayed on the subject. I can't recollect your name being mentioned even if you regard yourself as fitting the description, and as you seem to prefer stirring up heated arguments completley off the original subject, i refuse to bite, may i suggest you stop preaching and get back on subject.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
If I told you another little fact about my driving I would make you look really silly Wink

i'm still waiting to be made to look really silly, looks like i might have a long wait Wink

all quiet on the Dorset front Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 6 of 14

Jump to: