Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Change in UK Law to Render Mobile Database Useless?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Change in UK Law to Render Mobile Database Useless?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
MaFt wrote:
...with 10 sites on the same stretch of road - how do we know which to keep? or do we keep all of them?!...

A location at either end of the road with a verbal warning "you are entering a mobile camera zone"

oh no! then all the cameras will be at the junctions!

In actual fact, that may not be a bad idea. If for example MaFt gets more than 3 submissions within a pre determined distance of each other, then a section of road (poi's at each end?) becomes a mobile area category.

Or something like that!
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Cameras see all transgressions as black and white. It is this that annoys the average driver more than anything. No mitigating factors are taken into account, time of day, amount of traffic, weather etc.

Does the law change depending on the time of day etc then?

I thought the speed limits applied at all times.

I admit there are two types of speeders, those that are more than capable of doing high speeds safely, and I witness these drivers daily and you can see they are capable by their driving style ( not harrassing other motorists and not taking risks at every opportunity)

Then you have those that are speeding and don't give a damn about anybody else taking risks at every opportunity and putting everybodies lives around them at risk.

Now just answer one question Darren, what right has someone to put my families and my life at risk just because THEY don't agree with the speed limit?

OK, make it two questions Embarassed

If God forbid, a member of your family was killed by a speeding driver, would your attitude still be that speeding is ok because the laws are wrong?

To old to die young.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
mostdom wrote:
MaFt wrote:
...with 10 sites on the same stretch of road - how do we know which to keep? or do we keep all of them?!...

A location at either end of the road with a verbal warning "you are entering a mobile camera zone"

oh no! then all the cameras will be at the junctions!

In actual fact, that may not be a bad idea. If for example MaFt gets more than 3 submissions within a pre determined distance of each other, then a section of road (poi's at each end?) becomes a mobile area category.

Or something like that!

Brilliant :D :D I can foresee millions of satnav users just sitting by the side of the road waiting for the beeping to stop Rolling Eyes

To old to die young.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: please explain Reply with quote

mrg2003 wrote:
Imagine I'm an alien from another world.

If aliens are so smart, why do they always abduct the dumbest people Question Laughing

classy56 wrote:
GPS_fan wrote:
isn't that the role of the sat nav speaker - so that you can listen to instructions?

...and any sensible driver only glances at the sat nav periodically - just as they look at speed limit signs/no entry signs etc - and it is not a screen that tells all

And any sensible driver need look at his speedo periodically, your argument holds no water

I don't recall saying that you shouldn't look at your speedo or dashboard periodically.

In fact, if you read my post i the HUD speedo thread, you'll find I have, in fact, given good reason to keep an eye on the speedo and dashboard:

GPS_fan wrote:
Furthermore, it obviously takes you eye off everything else on the dashboard...

...their own advertising photo shows a dashboard with just about every warning light lit up

http://www.gtop-tech.com/images/hud_night_s.jpg

...but the 'driver' is obviously ignoring these warnings by continuing to travel at 100km/h, despite the rev counter not registering.

Obviously a doctored photo, but I suggest it's not a very good advert for either safety or observation of your car's true condition

Have you never been on a motorway, where traffic conditions have been such that your speed has crept up and next time you look at the speedo, you're over the limit without knowing it?

Thus it can be reassuring to have a 'third eye' which warns you if your speed does happen to creep above the speed limit.

I, personally, like to have speed camera warnings as a comfort blanket - just like the "prepare to leave motorway in x mile(s)" warning.

Simply having a device which warns of cameras doesn't automatically mean that we all drive (or want to drive) like Michael Schumacher.

But, since my argument holds no water, I'll save my time and leave this thread gracefully
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: please explain Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Have you never been on a motorway, where traffic conditions have been such that your speed has crept up and next time you look at the speedo, you're over the limit without knowing it?

Classy could never inadvertantly go over the speed limit as the limiter in his bus just wouln't let him! However, erratically changing lanes infront of speeding french drivers is fair game! Good-on-ya mate! :D

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
genghisackroyd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenglide wrote:
What we could do, of course, is always obey the law!

Speed limits save lives when obeyed. Cameras can save lives if they get drivers to obey the speed limits. If people have to slow down or get penalty points for speeding anywhere on what grounds are they really complaining?

IMHO

Yet again this chestnut is rolled out by the pro speed camera lobby whether it be the government or a 'certain' Chief 'Constible' of North Wales - I have never seen any data that backs this up. In fact, since the introduction of speed, cameras deaths and serious injuries have not reduced on Britain's roads,but have increased.

Further, speed has never been exclusively linked with most accidents - it may have been a contributory factor but, to say that speed is the cause is short sighted and simply wrong. Most accidents have many root causes such as driver inexperience/attentiveness, vehicle condition, weather & lighting. I can't say I have ever heard a drive to improve vehicle conditions having quite so much publicity, and I would be really impressed if the weather could be sorted Rolling Eyes.

I have no problem with traffic calming, but if speed is such an issue there are other methods that actually reduce speed rather than penalise the offenders (who have already exceeded any limit - so isn't this a bit after the horse has....). Methods such as humps (real or painted) road narrowing (real or painted) have been proved to actually slow traffic, which I would have thought would been the aim of the 'Safety camera partnerships', unless of course this is a money making exersise after all.... Rolling Eyes

PDA Current: iPAQ hx4700 + Co-Pilot Live/TomTom 2, 3 & 5 + Fortuna Clip-On + 512Mb Ultra ii SD + 256Mb SD + Brodit Active Mount

PDA History: iPAQs (2210 <-- 3970) <-- Palms (M515 <-- M505)
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: please explain Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
GPS_fan wrote:

Classy could never inadvertantly go over the speed limit as the limiter in his bus just wouln't let him! However, erratically changing lanes infront of speeding french drivers is fair game! Good-on-ya mate! :D

That's right I work 24/7, 365 days a year and don't own a car 8O

Just a technical point, I don't drive a bus, never said I did Exclamation

Who was "However, erratically changing lanes infront of speeding french drivers is fair game" aimed at?

To old to die young.
mgibbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In France the speed limit varies depending on conditions so that you have to drive more slowly when its raining for example.

Seems much more sensible than blanket speed limits.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: please explain Reply with quote

The police in the uk are said to be lenient towards drivers up to 80mph on our motorways, assuming of course you aren't doing anything else that would otherwise attract their attention. Of course this isn't always true and I'm sure someone will have a story to tell, but this would be in keeping with the french autoroute policy. However the 130kph in fair weather system is only on the auto routes which you pay for, and not on the pubic motorways so in essence, it's an advertisment, if you want to speed you'll have to pay for it!

classy56 wrote:
Who was "However, erratically changing lanes infront of speeding french drivers is fair game" aimed at?

Sorry classy, your picture and another of your posts made it a likely conclusion. (1+1=3). You are clearly not a continental bus driver then! Confused

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First

congratulations classy56, you're obviously the only driver who has never exceeded any speed limit, even by a fraction, or contravened a single other motoring rule or regulation outlined in the Highway Code, including overstaying your time limit in a car park

this must therefore mean that you are Britain's best and most careful driver Not Worthy
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klystron_generator wrote:
First

congratulations classy56, you're obviously the only driver who has never exceeded any speed limit, even by a fraction, or contravened a single other motoring rule or regulation outlined in the Highway Code, including overstaying your time limit in a car park

this must therefore mean that you are Britain's best and most careful driver Not Worthy

What a donut, if you are going to resort to childish sarcasm at least get your facts right. Please supply the proof to support your statement that I have stated that I have never exceeded any speed limit, even by a fraction? If you had bothered to do some research instead of trying to be a smartarse, you would find it is well documented!

Nope I can't recall contravening another single driving law, it is my job as a professional driver to set examples and I take pride in my work, so that's a definite no.

You think overstaying in a car park is comparable to killing someone whilst speeding...oh dear.

I fully agree with your last comment though, and on behalf of my wife, family, my manager and my colleagues, without whom this achievement would not have been possible, I thank you.

If I told you another little fact about my driving I would make you look really silly Wink

To old to die young.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: please explain Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:

Sorry classy, your picture and another of your posts made it a likely conclusion. (1+1=3). You are clearly not a continental bus driver then! Confused

No being a continental bus driver would really be a pain in commuting each day.
Wink

close though

To old to die young.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we've really drifted off topic here

This no longer reflect's MaFt's original post and things are getting a little heated, so perhaps somebody should put a stop to it, or at least make sure that posts are still on topic before they get too nasty
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
I think we've really drifted off topic here

This no longer reflect's MaFt's original post and things are getting a little heated, so perhaps somebody should put a stop to it, or at least make sure that posts are still on topic before they get too nasty

Hear Hear!!

I'd suggest that the units that flash up your speed as you approach (but without getting a NOIP) are a FAR MORE effective way of causing a driver/rider to address their speed through a given area. As noted earlier, once you've been flashed/pinged- the deed has been done!!
I agree that we get more plods on the road, this might help to reduce the amount of dangerous/illegal driving that we see on a daily basis...not forgetting those who drive without insurance, MOTs, ability etc etc.
Why not have more 30mph repeater signs on the roads, as you do with 40/50 etc? I know that we are all supposed to remember the Highway Code & that streetlights/pavements etc signify a 30mph limit...but memories do fade.
I, recently, took the option of doing a days speed awareness course (ran by the local 'partnership'...which was very good & informative), in lieu of 3 points. I asked why do the cameras not have the speed limit on the back face (or HUGE Speed limit signs prior to a Mobile Unit), as you approach?...the response was, in effect, that it would reduce the amount of culprits caught. SO LET'S JUST DISMISS THE PREMIS THAT CAMERAS USE IS PURELY FOR 'SAFETY'.....nor forget that the speed limits imposed, are LIMITS not TARGETS!!
awake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenglide wrote:
What we could do, of course, is always obey the law!

I think you need to educate yourself!
I suggest you familiarize yourself with the following website.

www.safespeed.org.uk

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 4 of 14

Jump to: