Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2210 vs 4150
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2210 vs 4150

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianbar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: 2210 vs 4150 Reply with quote

After absorbing as much as I can from this great site, I have decided to take the plunge and buy something. My choice seems to have narrowed to an IPAQ 2210 or 4150 and Tomtom or Copilot.
I had originally planned to buy a complete bundle - which might be the most economical route. However as I currently do not have a Pocket PC, I thought I might get used to that first and then add a navigation system. That would probably also allow me to see the reviews of Tomtom 3 before deciding on the software.
I am leaning towards a 4150, as I have a WLAN at home and the cost difference from the 2210 is currently only about £25 at Global Positioning Systems, which I guess is less than the cost of a WLAN card for the 2210. I appreciate that the 4150 does not have a CF slot so that I will not be able to use a CF GPS, but BT seems to be the way to go. The only criticism I can see of the 4150 is some reports of a yellow screen tinge when viewed at extreme angles - however owners say that it is not really an issue. And there are suggestions that the 4150 may be withdrawn soon - but does that matter, given the high rate of product change?

My question is: have I missed some important difference, either from a navigation or general PPC perspective? The only thing I can think of might be bundled software. I was quite taken by the Nevo universal remote controller on the 2210, but I don't know if it is a feature of the 4150.

Looking ahead to the software choice, I will be using it primarily in the UK, but would also like to use it for holidays in France, the US and Canada. I like the look of Tomtom, but have been put off somewhat by the reports of poor mapping. But I cannot buy North America Copilot maps in the UK. On the other hand Tomtom mapping does not cover Canada. So I am in a bit of a quandary. I suppose the decision might turn on how many of the current criticisms of Tomtom are removed in ver 3 (and how many new ones are introduced?). Views on this would be very welcome.

Based on my reading of this forum, I think I can look forward to some knowledgeable and helpful advice. Thanks in advance.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Physically they are very close in size but the h2210 is very slightly thicker. Spec wise, the 2210 lacks WiFi but gains a CF Slot (lot's of things you can do with CF that can't be done with SD.

The 4150 has it's iR port on the bottom and does not have the Nevo software.

Aside from the above both are fine PPC's and both will function fine with nav software such as TTnav or SmartST Thumbs Up
ianbar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: 2210 vs 4150 Reply with quote

Darren,

Thanks for the quick response.

What is it that can be done with CF that isn't possible with SD? Is this just because SD based devices are not yet available, or is there some intrinsic difference? Not many PDA's seem to have CF slots.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are very few SD based devices available. This will change in time but at the moment you can get VGA out, modem, wifi, bar code scaners etc etc in CF format.

If you don't envisage a need to use a CF slot or need Nevo then the 4150 with built in wi-fi is probably the better choice Smile
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I share the same or similar dilemma. Whether to 2210 or 4150.

I seek my first PDA for business use and would like to double it up for holidays, hiking, wild camping too.

It seems to boil down to losing WiFi and gaining a CF slot or t'other way round.

I am on a steep learning curve based on much appreciated sharing on this site with a bit of experiential learning as well.

Is there a difference between SD and CF speeds?

Is one quicker than t'other? CoPilot

Which give the best option of having lots of maps to stick into memory and possibly run with a CF card too.

I think I am almost convincing myself to 2210 rather than 4150 (why is life so complicated?) Grrrr

your views are much appreciated

BBB Thumbs Up
Dilldog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 2210 and I've just been playing with a friends 4150.

I waited for something like the 2210 for expansion and while the 4150 is nice, it's only ever so slightly smaller. The Wifi is also nice but I couldn't use a 4150 for presentations (I've got a a lifeview fly presenter CF card) and Wifi CF cards are now getting cheaper and readily support PPC2003.

Anything other than quickly checking for a message is also a challenge with a PPC, so Wifi uses are fairly limited. There aren't that many public access points outside major cities anyway.

CF memory is faster than SD and cheaper - 512MB and upwards SD cards are very expensive!

I guess what I'm saying is this:
If you will access Wifi regularly and don't have big memory requirements, go 4150.
If Wifi is just a 'nice' and not essential, the 2210 may be better long term.

They are both nice toys. :D

Regards,
Dilldog.
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Dilldog Thumbs Up

You have just confirmed my own thoughts too.

My intention is/was

laptop with widscreen

PPC with digital maps

handheld GPS to carry and datalog

Me and a few others are taking a caravan in the Highlands of a wonderful land called Scotland. As it will be Easter - the laptop (its only there for its digital mapping facility you understand) may just happenstance double up as a dvd player
:P
sk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm between the 4150 and 2210 as well and am impressed by the price of CF cards - can someone tell me if they sit completely inside the hole (completely fluch with the top of the PDA) or do they stick out a little? If it sticks out at all I'd rather go with SD.

(Sorry I hope I'm not hijacking this thread - didn't want to start a completely new thread just for this little question!)

For my contribution to this thread, it's not just an issue of CF or size - I understand that the 4150 scores more highly on benchmark tests too so is faster.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are referring to CF memory cards then they sit entirely flush in the slot Smile
Dilldog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel my 2210 is fast enough, I never have to wait for it - though video from my SD sometimes stutters, which is SD speed rather than a CPU thing (same thing in memory is seemless). I suspect it would not happen with a CF storage card.

There are newer SD cards with higher performance but I haven't tried them yet - they still carry a price premium. If they have the same effect a Sony Memory Stick Pro just had on my digital camera, then they would be worth the extra. The new mem stick is claimed to be 15 times faster and it certainly seems at least triple speed (I never believe marketing but 3x is still good in my book Thumbs Up ).
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - cool and groovio

Isn't it a question of what we may buy today will be superceded soon anyway?

For me it was a question of functionality and sounding out my inner thoughts. It is always good to hear differing vies.

Now then BlueGPS and datalogging anyone?

Driving
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want to know about datalogging ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: