Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Finding new downloads on PC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding new downloads on PC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceilidh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Finding new downloads on PC Reply with quote

Sorry! this post is probably totally in the wrong place, but I have just spent over an hour searching this forum for the right one, so if someone could re-direct me I would be most grateful.

I have been trying to download my first speed camera database update for my Garmin Nuvi. I have downloaded and installed the Garmin POI updater and (today) paid for a one month subscription to updates from this site. I have followed all the steps in the instructions, selecting Garmin and Nuvi wherever relevant (and opted for single file download, in default of any other instruction about this option), but no download window appears asking for a location, nor does any download appear to happen, except for an instantaneous notice of 'done'. According to the instructions on this website this should have produced a zip file, which I could then cut & copy to my POI downloader. Any help would be very welcome.
Teddy_Bear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be the secuty software messing with the download.

OFFICIAL PGPSW TEDDYBEAR Razz
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know where your download has gone, but you have to UNZIP the zip file then copy/paste the contents, NOT copy/paste the zip file.
ceilidh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those replies. I have tried switching off Zone alarm and AVG, but no result. Tanda, thanks, I know that I will need to unzip the file, however, my problem at the moment is downlload the file to unzip! I only subscribed yesterday, so maybe my registration has not been recognised yet.
I have followed the download instructions exactly, selected Garmin & Nuvi, but when I click download nothing happens, except for a page which says nothing but "Speed Camera Index" clicking on that phrase takes me back to the download page again. I am using Firefox and WinXPpro. If I do eventually succeed with the download should I remove the existing camera database from the Nuvi before installing, or install the new one over the old? Stupid questions perhaps, but this is the first time I have tried an update.
Many thanks for your help
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only subscribed yesterday, then it is more than likely that your payment hasn't been processed yet, particularly if you made it through PayPal cheque. Once the payment has been received, you should find it possible to download the speed cameras database.

Hopefully a moderator / one of the team will be able to confirm this.
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The members area in the left hand column of every page will tell you how many days you have left of your subscription if it has gone through already. You also get a confirmation email with details of how to get the camera database once you have successfully subscribed.
ceilidh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, I think it must have been time delay:received the confirmation of payment email yesterday and at the third attempt today succeeded in downlloading the update zip file. Unzipped this to a new folder on my desktop and see that this now contains 6 bitmap and 6 CSV files, plus help file etc. Connected GPS which switched on and was recognised by my computer, but not by POI loader. Started this manually and received message 'no gps connected' Re-tried connecting GPS several times, but with same result.
My options now seem to be; 1) Try uninstall and re-install of POI Loader in case there is a corrupted file in this or; 2) Manually cut and paste the files from my download into the GPS, I assume into the POI folder on this? Alternatively, could I drag & drop the individual files onto that folder?
I am also confused by the instructions for retaining those existing POIs which I wish to keep after updating, such as my favourite destinations. Will these be automatically overwritten, or merely the speed cameras on those routes?. Once again apologies for such basic questions, however, I am a 'silver surfer' (or would be, if I had any hair left ) and not yet quite into the 21st century!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the device is connected directly to a PC USB socket and not a monitor hub or desk top hub, then try POILoader again - it should find the device this way.
You cannot install POI to the device by drag and drop you have to use POILoader for this, so you need to get that working first, try re-installing the POILoader application from a fresh download if the USB connection point doesn't fix the problem - Mike
ceilidh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,
I have 3 direct USB connectors ( and no hub) on my laptop, have tried all of these, with no success, however, they all recognise the connection and switch on the GPS, so that and I can open and access the files on my Nuvi from 'My Computer' but not from POI Loader. I suspect that the problem must be be in the POI Download software, so I will now try reinstalling this.
ceilidh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things go from bad to worse!!
Uninstalled POI loader (using add/remove programs), downloaded latest version from Garmin site, but this would not instal and a pop up said that a file of this name already existed and to try installing to a different directory, but there was no option for this on the installation .exe file. I then moved all Garmin folders onto a separate portable HDD and then searched for and manually deleted all POI files which I could find remaining on my main disk, and there appeared to be a large number of zipped ones. (I did not go into the registry). Tried another fresh download, but still no joy.
I still have my zipped download of the latest PGPS cameras, is there a way of transferring this to my Nuvi without using POI loader? or is there a link on this site to a POI loader version which works well?
Louie7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ceilidh, ideally you need to get POI Loader working as it makes life much easier to convert your POI files to GPX format and load them onto your Nuvi.

However as an alternative until this happens, you can use GPX Converter a freeware program which will convert CSV files to the GPX format. You can then manually copy your POI.GPX file to your Nuvi's Garmin/POI folder. You can download the Speed Camera and POI files from the PocketGPSWorld web site in Garmin CSV format. The GPX Converter program is available for download at: http://cbrom.myby.co.uk

However I would strongly advise against copying your POI files directly onto your Nuvi because if anything goes wrong with the copy process or the POI file is corrupt or you inadvertently use too many POI categories, you will not be able to access your Nuvi when it is powered up. To rectify the problem, normally requires a call to Garmin support to arrange for your unit to be returned or for Garmin to send rescue utilities to unlock the Nuvi.

I recommend you copy your updated POI.GPX file to a SD Card and then run the POI file from there. On the SD Card create a folder called Garmin then select the Garmin folder and inside the Garmin folder create a second folder called POI. Copy the POI.GPX file into this folder.

After inserting the SD Card with the new POI file and switching on your Nuvi, it will detect the new file and ask if you want to copy it to the Nuvi. select NO and also touch the screen where it asks not to ask the question again. This will stop the Nuvi from annoyingly asking you the same question each time the unit is switched on. But will detect the new file next time you update your POI file and will ask the question again the first time you switch on the Nuvi.

When you eventually get POI Loader running, you can still direct the program to copy the new POI file to a SD Card, just select the drive letter of the SD Card. POI Loader does not have to copy directly to the Nuvi.

As an aside, POI Loader will also convert CSV files as well as the GPX format and although POI Loader will only copy the file with the default name POI.GPX. If you are manually copying the file to the Garmin/POI folder, you can name the file what you want (with the GPX extension) and the Nuvi will still recognise it.

I hope this helps.
ceilidh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Louie for that extremely helpful and clearly explained advice. I was just planning, in desperation, to try copying the files individually and, but for your help would certainly have done it the wrong way!
Fortunately I eventually discovered that several attempts at downloading POILoader had all resulted in a corrupted installation file on each occasion. The download appeared to be successful but the istallation was incomplete, although all shortcuts appeared. I finally managed a clean download and install by downloading to a portable HDD and then copying this to my PC via Acronis. I have, however, printed your advice in case of future problems! Thanks again.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louie7 wrote:

However as an alternative until this happens, you can use GPX Converter a freeware program which will convert CSV files to the GPX format. You can then manually copy your POI.GPX file to your Nuvi's Garmin/POI folder.

i never knew that worked... i always thought you HAD to use poi loader as the files it uploads are .gpi files?

MaFt
Louie7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always download the CSV version of the POI and Speed Camera files from the website and use POI Loader to copy them to my SD Card. To date i have not had any problems apart from when i download the Speed Camera POI file in the CSV Other format. I always have to open the files first and remove the first header line which does not inlcude the ; to tell POI Loader to ignore the line (it gives an error message and skips the file). For the first time last week i used POI Loader v2.4.1.0 and it worked OK.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: