Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Amplified car aerial splitter
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Amplified car aerial splitter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrislang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Connection Reply with quote

Ref. the Braiding Connection
I'd willingly connect it but dont know where to!
On the Aerial supplied with the Transonic T6000TS, a single piece of wire which is connected to the contact furthest from the Tip of a 4 connector 3.5mm Jack. If anyone has the answer I'd gladly try it. Navigon support can't even make up their mind wether or not TMC is supported in the UK let alone answer this question!! ( See my other thread about this under Navigator 6 software )
MTIA
Chris
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I connected the braiding side of the aerial to the radio chassis - seemed to work for me. The aerial wire with the Nuvi is just a single wire without braiding. So work out which of the four sections is ground and connect this to the radio chassis, you could do this by trial and error I suppose.
chrislang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Connection Reply with quote

Thanks I'll give it a go , probably at the weekend now.
Will post how I got on
Thanks
Chris
erniesone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWFOX
If I can impose for your assistance.

I purchased the din Splitter from Eveshan Tech and it provides a much improved signal to my ViaMichelin X-950T. From zero I get 1.5 bars (out of 5) with radio off and 2.5 with power on - great. The X-950T has the advantage of using a 3.5mm jack plug aerial so a simple adapter did the trick. Other advantage is the use of Classic FM which locally seems to have a much stronger signal than BRMB (RAC) even through they come from the same transmitter.

To the question.
I am now trying to get a signal got my new Nuvi 360T. I have not yet taken the plunge of soldering the socket, but touching the aerial wire to the Splitter jack plug seems to make no difference - if anything the signal reduces. I have not yet tried your trick of earthing the jack plug but before I start, does the failure on touching the wires indicate success is unlikely - or would fitting the socket make a difference?

Second, where did you find your amplifier and does this have a DIN connection for simple attachment?
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience it definitely improved reception when connecting to the splitter - so no I wouldn't say that the fact you touched it and it got worse is anything to go buy - it needs to have a proper solid connection to get a decent signal.

I got my 12v FM amplifier as a kit from www.rapidonline.com code 70-4092. I soldered a din plug and socket and coax cable from Maplins on to this.
erniesone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWFOX
Many thanks.
Off we go to the shops again.
volvoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: tmc receiver Reply with quote

diabeticpaul wrote:
I ordered the antenna splitter on Moday PM. It arrived yesterday and I have just fitted it. It is brilliant! We are on the fringe of the Capital FM area and it is now receiving it at full signal strength. I have spent quite a few hours tapping in to the car aerial loom and trying other things and its really not worth the effort. The splitter has a balun which matches the car aerial to the TMC receiver - seems to make all the difference.

It comes with both ISO & DIN aerial connecters. All you need is key(s) to remove the radio. When not in use the aerial lead coils in the ash-tray out of sight.

Lowestontheweb (Evesham) still have 29 in stock (£29.95) so it seems to be a well kept secret. GNS are charging 58 Euros and you have to send a cheque up-front.

I hope this helps.
[ does this work with a DAB in car radio][/quote]
volvoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: tmc receiver Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me wether the splitter / amplifier works with a DAB in car radio. Thanks
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: tmc receiver Reply with quote

volvoman wrote:
Can anyone tell me wether the splitter / amplifier works with a DAB in car radio. Thanks

You would have to be careful where you placed the amplifier in the chain. It could reduce your DAB signal levels (and these are low enough to start with :D ) - these are on frequencies well outside the UK FM bands. Typically around 220 Mhz - remember the old Band III ITV and the size of the aerials you needed then Laughing

I would expect most of the aerial amps to cope with this to be honest as it is cheaper to build a wide-band amp than one that is specifically designed for FM freqs only.

The best way of connecting any amp/splitter is to connect the amp to the aerial lead then use the splitter - this is like the distribution amps for TV/FM that many homes have nowadays. If this doesn't work in your case try putting the amp after the splitter and before your TMC unit - but this could have adverse affects on your DAB radio.

Quite a few cars (VW/ Audi esp) have amplifiers built into the stubby aerials that you see on the rear roof of the car. You have to be careful when connecting to these as they require a 12V feed up the centre conductor and you can easily get shorts etc - not to be recommended.
If you are connecting one of these directly to the GPS TMC aerial (like I would have to with my GTM21 flying lead in my VW) then the safest solution is to include a small capacitor in-line. Around 0.1uF should be OK here.
kelvin66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - I just changed my car to a Vectra that came with DAB radio that also has the built in amplifier on the roof of the car.

I connected the TMC aerial to up to the aerial (as shown on page 4) and get the same results - much better TMC coverage with no apparent degradation to the radio reception on FM or DAB.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm slow on the uptake, but could somebody please confirm that the amplified signal is the centre pin of the connector and the ground plane is the outside.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I'd like to double check before hacking into the wrong thing.
stehanson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilGarmin wrote:
I have a nuvi 660 and would like to know how you get to the diagnostic screen which shows the currently received TMC channels and frequencies as mwfox mentioned.

how did you get v4.1 gtm software - im usinf the latest 3.70 garmin sw download and its showing gtm still as 3.70!!
stehanson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwfox wrote:
Sorry only just read your message.

Have you connected the earth/braiding part of the aerial connection as well - I found with my Garmin Nuvi 660 that unless you did that reception was poor.

As im new to this and have same hardware - im wondering what you mean by the earth braiding part?
cheers Ste
stehanson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

were is best to purchase the GNS Splitter? - tries lowestonweb but no products found?? cheers Ste
stehanson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no one got any answers?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: