Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SATMAP active 10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SATMAP active 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! Whatever the criticism, nothing is perfect, but i'm going to give this one a go - already ordered mine as off the first run of production, can't wait.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Sandown park 22/04 Reply with quote

Saw it, loved it, fell in love with the Blonde lady demonstrating it. I would like to obtain both, but will probably just have to settle for the satnav.

Mr. G
smitten
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw it yesterday too, very nice, especially the way it zipped around the maps. There are quite a few map options, county, regional, national parks and 2 or 3 others. You get a base map on the device then add whatever you need by SD card, not cheap for the maps, but i guess you would only want a limited number of areas.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

portman wrote:
Quote:
not cheap for the maps

Please can you confirm as to what price has been mentioned?
smego
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had good but slow comms with Richard from Active 10 but the great news for me is I am to get one of these to try on a full sale or return basis so I will try it and if I think the negitives out way the positives I will buy the cheaper Mio 550, stick with my memory map 2004 and get tomtom on it as well, I can use a mio AA battery box to get a full days use and a waterproof bag like I do with my mio168. I like the Idea of being able to wirelessly brows the net on the 550 when I am not up a mountain or driving my 4x4.
I want to look at the road angel 7000 as well.

As for the web-site, I am impressed with the snazzy graphics but from a marketing point of view it is crap, I pointed this out to Richard (the MD) and he agrees but this is a new company only been developing for 2 years so I guess thay will be more on the ball when they money starts rolling in! Then I will see if they have any jobs going in technical Marketing ;)

I do like the product but I can't help thinking they ate missing some simple tricks...!

P.S. I have Richards Mobile number if anyone is having trouble getting a reply to e-mail ;)
smego
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: This reply on the mapping may be useful to you guys? Reply with quote

Quote:
Dear Gary,

Thanks very much for the questions: don’t apologise for them as I fully understand your need to be sure - it is after all, a lot of money to spend, so you must be comfortable with it. Let me try to address them one by one:

County map coverage. There will be overlap at the edges of each county map. The size of this overlap does vary as the map tiles are complete squares, so it will be between 10km to 20km, depending on how the tiles fall.

You are right, the Active 10 has one SD Card slot. In theory you are correct: if you have two county maps, crossing back and forth between them would necessitate card changes. However, there is one easy way to resolve this: you can buy the South East regional map for £49.99 (as opposed to buying Surrey for £30 and Hampshire for £30). Of course, there is also the option of a site centered map as you point out, but this would not be as cost effective as the Regional mapping.

Zooming: a single map card must contain both 1:25k and 1:50k to be able to zoom through both scales. If the maps are different cards, then you will not be able to see both scales. Hoever, if you have downloaded the 1:50k map of Surrey on Month 1, then you download the 1:25k map of Surrey in, say, Month 3, onto the same card, then even though these are two separate map packs, the unit will still provide full zooming through both scales.

GB Maps: these will be available in June. For customer buying several maps at one time, there will be a quantity discount available.
National Trails: the map will be between 10km to 15km wide, again depending on the way the map tiles fall in relation to the curvature of the route. This should provide you with sufficient scope to find off-route features.

I hope that gives you the information you need, but if there is anything else, do please just ask.

Kind regards

Richard
smego
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: ooo and this info as well...... Reply with quote

Quote:
As you are probably aware from our literature, we are launching with several maps titles. The prices of these are as follows:

- UK County Maps 1:50k (each county sold on separate SD cards): £29.99 each

- UK Regional Maps 1:50k (10 regions, each region sold on separate SD Cards): £49.99 each

- The National Parks 1:25k & 1:50k combined (each Park sold on separate SD Cards): £99.99 each

- The National Trails 1:25k & 1:50K combined (each Trail sold on separate SD Cards): £99.99 each

In addition to these, based on the feedback from the NEC show last week, we are introducing 3 new map titles:

- the whole of GB on a double SD Card box set, 1:50k, RRP £165

- all the National Parks on one SD Card at 1:50k, RRP tba

- the UK County Maps at 1:25k, RRP tba.

Finally, we will also be bringing out site centered mapping, special event mapping and custom mapping.

So as you can see, we are presenting a fairly comprehensive map catalogue which should allow people to buy the maps they need.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, however, an email between two individuals is a private communication and you should not publish the contents without the permission of the author.

As there is nothing contentious I have left the posts in place this time but could I ask you not to do this again unless you have sought permission beforehand?
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect the reason Richard takes the time he does to reply (some of mine have been very quick...some two days after me resending it) is that so many people are asking the same questions that are not dealt with on the totally useless but stylish website and the two PDF files that were sent to you if you requested it.

As the notes at the end of the emails do not mention anything about it being confidential I would say publishing them here is advantageous to everyone who is looking to spend £300 + maps....including the people at Satmap.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: ooo and this info as well...... Reply with quote

smego wrote:
Quote:
As you are probably aware from our literature, we are launching with several maps titles. The prices of these are as follows:

- UK County Maps 1:50k (each county sold on separate SD cards): £29.99 each

- UK Regional Maps 1:50k (10 regions, each region sold on separate SD Cards): £49.99 each

- The National Parks 1:25k & 1:50k combined (each Park sold on separate SD Cards): £99.99 each

- The National Trails 1:25k & 1:50K combined (each Trail sold on separate SD Cards): £99.99 each

In addition to these, based on the feedback from the NEC show last week, we are introducing 3 new map titles:

- the whole of GB on a double SD Card box set, 1:50k, RRP £165

- all the National Parks on one SD Card at 1:50k, RRP tba

- the UK County Maps at 1:25k, RRP tba.

Finally, we will also be bringing out site centered mapping, special event mapping and custom mapping.

So as you can see, we are presenting a fairly comprehensive map catalogue which should allow people to buy the maps they need.

Further to the maps listed above I asked specifically about 'half the country' maps at 1:50,000 and have been told they will be abvailable at £100 each for North or South though I still don't know what the boundaries are for these or the region maps.

I've also been told that there will be a discount of about £10 if you buy the map as a download and use your own SD card
smego
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Thanks for the update, however, an email between two individuals is a private communication and you should not publish the contents without the permission of the author.

As there is nothing contentious I have left the posts in place this time but could I ask you not to do this again unless you have sought permission beforehand?

Darren, There is nothing in the post I have put up of a confediental nature, I had already removed anything that is not public knowledge therefore you have no need to edit anything anyway and I had no need to havs sought permission beforehand, if I published anything deflamorory or had let slip any confedential information or indeed anything that could lezave you as a business in any negitive legal position I could understand your comments??
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A selection of titbits that I have got through several emails....

you can load several routes onto the Active 10 at any time, and then simply select the one you wish to follow. In fact you can load many routes – you have an average of 200MB of available space, so that should be enough for hundreds of routes.

Can you preview the elevation of a route before riding it? Yes. As you pan around the map with the cursor, a data box at the base of the map screen gives you the location at the cursor point (lat / long or grid ref), distance from your current position, bearing from your current position, and elevation. The elevation is based on the Ordnance Survey gridded height data set, so it accurate to within 10 meters. However, this data is currently presented when the cursor comes to rest rather than being a continuous ‘commentary’ on the point. The logic behind this is that if you are panning around the map, it is usually to get a better view of the area around you, so it would be better to leave the map screen uncluttered by data. We are, however, planning to have the continuous data presentation as an option which users then select.

In answer to 'Will you be providing/allowing any way of viewing the OS mapping and planning routes on a PC'

We are going to be introducing our own on-line PC route planner. This will be available FOC to Satmap customers. It will have all the key features you would expect from a desk-top planning tool, so you will be able to plan routes, mark waypoints, POI’s etc etc and then simply download this directly onto the Active 10

you can indeed load 3 areas onto your own SD card via the downloads

- unfortunately the SD Card would not track seamlessly between the 3 different map packs loaded: you would still have to manually select the appropriate one. This is because the Active 10 comes pre-loaded with full UK road mapping and if you travel off the edge of a map on an SD Card it automatically defaults to the base road map in order to ensure you are not traveling in an area devoid of any visual references. Your point is a very good one though and we will see if we can implement it as a software upgrade, but to be honest I think it unlikely at launch.
cj21_19
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

Just had a very prompt and useful answer to some queries I made to Satmap. Thought I would post the info as it seems to add to that listed above.

1. Launch is late rather than early June
2. Default road level mapping doesn't show Southern ireland (I asked this because I'm going cycling there) I expected this answer, but it is good to know for definite
3. Re: the 1:50000 coverage of the whole of the UK:

"With regards to the boundaries we have decided to do 'three halves', which will go as follows; One map will show from Liverpool to hull upwards. The second will show Liverpool to hull downwards (including the whole of Wales). And for the people who live in central England we are devising a map (the boundaries are yet to be decided) showing central England, Southern England and Wales; Possibly from Carlisle across to Newcastle then down to Gloucester and across to Ipswich."

4. I also commented on the pretty (but empty) website they have. I was assured that a new site is in development and will be up "in a week or two."

Hope this is useful

Christian
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj21_19 wrote:

1. Launch is late rather than early June

Damn and blast!!! Rolling Eyes
Quote:

The second will show Liverpool to hull downwards (including the whole of Wales).

YAAAAAAAAAY that's even better than the 2003 version of Memory Map!!! :D
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke to SatMap, they are working on the final changes and expect Active 10 to be available as promised at the end of this month.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: