Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ALDI UK - EVESHAM NAV-CAM 6400 - AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ALDI UK - EVESHAM NAV-CAM 6400 - AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheUnderwriter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: ALDI UK - EVESHAM NAV-CAM 6400 - AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE Reply with quote

Most readers of this topic who have already been suckered into the £120 purchase, have at least some resolve by being able to take it back to Aldi and obtaining a full refund in the 30 day period. My advice is, do just that.
My original reason for the purchase was that, a few years ago, Aldi UK had a special offer on a Medion sat nav unut in the form of a PDA. Good bundle and it did everything I wanted. Sadly, that unit has demised through my own rough handling and so, it was a timely event that Aldi UK advertised another GPS in car unit on the 15th March 2007. Just a few pennies short of £120, I went for it on the basis of what it said it could do.

It quickly turns out that this unit does NOT do what it says on the time (to coin a phrase) and far from it..

Both advert, exterior of box and documentation supplied, says it has Accurate Door to Door Navigation and entries by House Number.. Well, as that is exactly what my past Medion GPS unit did, I'd be happy with that.
Took me 10 minutes out of the box before it became VERY obvious that this unit does nothing of the sort.

Regardless of whether you attempt to plan the route by postcode or streetname, it does not allow you to input an individual house number before it instead, goes straight to its calculating mode.

Evesham have a err, support web site and an even more err, incredible telephone support line. Fine, if you want to spend about £6 , hanging about on their 0870 number, all day, fine. You MAY finally be able to speak to a human voice, but don't even consider that you will find a resolve from them, as the question posed about the lack of the quoted benefits of this system will be greeted with, "first time we've been asked that question" and "well, it must be the AA software that is at fault".

The knowing, nervous coughs bewteen the statements instilled into me, a follow up call the next day, with the same questions but as another user. Surprise, surprise, similar answer was given by the obvious goldfish. Sad
Well, as they had been gracious enough to pass the blame onto the AA navigator software, I made a call to the AA Navigator production team on 0870 1080013. Nice people :D After posing them the problem, the resultant statement was most informative. i.e. " The Navigator software was never produced with an individual house number facility, so why Evesham should make statement to that is beyond me". I did ask about an upgrade but was advised that even with the new version (due out in May of this year), it was highly unlikely that it would include this provision.

So, two contacts down and still no resolve. It was suggested to me that I put in a road that is knowingly LONG, in the hope that the house number faciltity may come on line. Although I am now aware that it does actually offer, what they call, "segmented location" by house numbering, this is only reported as a "block" of numbers, i.e. 1-100 as an example and again, only for a very limited number of roads in the UK.. Let's try WATLING STREET then? As it only runs from the borders of Scotland down to London,, should have no problems eh Question WRONG Sad

In an effort to bring this matter to the retailers, Aldi UK (head office number 01245 215000), I was promised a return call. That was 4 days ago and despite making every attempt to resolve with EVESHAM via emails, (I even suggested a replacement mapping software that I was more than happy to download from their web site, at MY expense), the "two liner" response, given 3 days later was about as ignorant as you would ever wish to receive.

As such, I'm not wasting any more time on them or this unit, which quite frankly, after researching the web for alternatives, is well over priced for what it is and there are many more out there from about £79 inclusive, that do as much, if not more than this heap of junk.. Yes, it does have more problems, such as its standby mode for so called power saving? Easy to touch by accident, button that not only puts it into sleep mode but also illiminates any input or current routing you just happen to be following at the time Exclamation Evil or Very Mad

Anyway, they had their chance and blew it big time.. Off now to Trading Standards to vent my frustration. Well, it is the most mis-leading package I have ever come across so, why not? This is after all, the forum to keep you informed and if I just ward off just ONE unsuspecting potential buyer or save just one existent buyer the cost and frustration of trying to resolve with Evesham, then it has all been worthwhile. I end on the statement by their own customer services (a contradiction in terms if there was ever one) and I quote, "we had a very successful launch of a new product, with the entire allocated stock of Nav-Cams selling out within hours of the stores opening." I'd say Mr Smug,, you'll have an even busier time restocking these units back onto your shelves when they come back in their thousands from the customers you've attempted to hoodwink with your untrue statements..
Laughing
eliptical
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with it mate. Thanks for the info. Saved me a few bob anyway. :D
bazz2004
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to work out what Evesham are trying to do with sat nav. They look to be good for TVs and computers but on sat nav they are dreadful. My Evesham BM 6380 sat nav was a terrible mistake and their support was awful. It's amazing that they haven't improved.
grifster96
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quickie - I bought the 6400 & whilst it may have fewer bells & whistles than many other units, I've found that:

a) It's the fastest sat-nav I've owned (I've had 4 differnet models so far) to lock onto a position
b) It's yet to lose that lock-com. On any journey.
c) It's re-routing is lightning fast
d) Contrary to what's been written before, the 6400 DOES navigate to house numbers - albeit that the input is less than intuitive and could be better signposted on the screen.

My 6400 has just taken me through over 750 miles through the Easter weekend finding potential new homes & in totally foreign parts - so I had to rely on it. Not once did it let me down. I wish it had a better mounting arm (the NavMan is far superior) but for an inexpensive and reliable machine it's fine.

Naturally you get what you pay for, but this unit is MUCH better than the way you're painting it to be.

Fair's fair guys!
bazz2004
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've had four sat navs. It seems reasonable to expect such an item item to last for years.

TheUnderwriter has pointed out how poor Evesham support is, so keep your fingers crossed. Smile
grifster96
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed - so far so good.

I'm sure they'd have lasted for years - and if the miserable &^%&^%ds who broke into both my cars hadn't made off with them I'm sure I'd be able to confirm it. Needless to say there's quuite a pantomime of erasing any & every trace of their existence when I park up & take the Evesham with me now.

Customer service looks good right now - they've just uploaded a new camera location file for April...
Techie-John
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For God sake get a life and a brain, It is not the hardest thing to work out,
This is the best unit I have had in years, I have owned six and they are so slow they are painfull.

All I can say is ignor what this prat says and buy one, thats supposing you can change channels on your TV remote, If this is difficult for you well, get a map out and end up at home all the time.

Techie_John

Quote:

classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techie-John wrote:

This is the best unit I have had in years, I have owned six and they are so slow they are painfull.

Techie_John[/color][/b]

That makes sense 8O Perhaps you were changing channels with your remote when you posted Rolling Eyes

To old to die young.
bazz2004
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does Techie-John think himself a prat? :o :o
Love the font.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: