Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MPH/KPH speed camera question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MPH/KPH speed camera question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pitstop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: MPH/KPH speed camera question Reply with quote

I have the speed camera database in my 360 and it works fine (using MPH). I want to load a French camera database onto a SD card. As the French speed limits and warnings in the database will be in KPH, If, when I reach France, I change the Nuvi settings to Km's will this be fine and not cause any confusion with my Frence camera warnings?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

The POI Loader converts either the MPH or KPH figures within the CSV files into metres per second, and then the Nuvi uses this measure for the speed alert.

There are 2 ways of handling this:

1. Load one file using MPH, rename the .gpi file directly onto the Nuvi, and then load the other file using KPH.

2. Change the KPH values in the CSV files for the equivalent MPH figure and then upload all files in one go with POI Loader.
pitstop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Change the KPH values in the CSV files for the equivalent MPH figure and then upload all files in one go with POI Loader.

I'd rather do that. Is there an easy way to do this other than changing every single line? It'll take me ages to do that! Confused
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitstop wrote:
swing wrote:
Change the KPH values in the CSV files for the equivalent MPH figure and then upload all files in one go with POI Loader.

I'd rather do that. Is there an easy way to do this other than changing every single line? It'll take me ages to do that! Confused
Have a look at my post in this thread. No one actually confirmed that it will work & it is for converting from MPH to KPH, you "just" have to reverse the conversion :D
Hope that helps!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitstop wrote:
Using Excel, a find and replace on things like Find: @130 Replace: @81 and then select Replace All should speed up the work and limit the amount of work required.
pitstop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
pitstop wrote:
Using Excel, a find and replace on things like Find: @130 Replace: @81 and then select Replace All should speed up the work and limit the amount of work required.

Thanks. That sounds pretty painless. If I do that so that all the @130 (km/h) warnings are changed to @81 (mp/h), when I am on the continent (and change the settings on my Nuvi to kilometers), will a 130kph speed camera warning 'boing' at 81 mph (130 kmh) OR 'boing' at 81 kmh?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you change all the values in that way - eg 130 to 81, and you upload all the speed cameras (UK and Europe) as "Feet and mph" then a 130kph will alert at 81mph and will also display "Speed Alert 81mph".

Actually the display of "Speed Alert 81mph" is a setting within the Nuvi - so, technically, you could change the unit to Km whilst in mainland Europe and then it would still bong at 81mph/130kph, but would now display "Speed Alert 130kph" - the downside is that it would tell you "in 500 metres turn left" instead of "in 200 yards turn left" which might be more confusing...
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Actually the display of "Speed Alert 81mph" is a setting within the Nuvi - so, technically, you could change the unit to Km whilst in mainland Europe and then it would still bong at 81mph/130kph, but would now display "Speed Alert 130kph" - the downside is that it would tell you "in 500 metres turn left" instead of "in 200 yards turn left" which might be more confusing...

I would argue that if you are doing any travelling in Europe one should really try and understand the speed/distance as all the road signs will be km/hr, kms and mtrs. And we all know how forgiving the French Police are Laughing

I would suggest treating "in x metres" as "in x yards" which is close enough (10% under) over the short distances that sat navs give warnings - in any case people are generally very bad at estimating distances of this magnitude. For larger distances / speeds use the built in convertor supplied as standard in UK cards - the speedo - it has mph/kmph which can also be used to convert kms to miles. If all else fails remember 80km(/hr) = 50 m(ph) (with pretty good accuracy)
pitstop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I am hoping to happen is that I first convert the kph details to the mph equivalent and load them onto my card then, when I am in France, change the settings in the Nuvi to kms as this will be easier to understand distances etc. What I was wondering was, is that if I do that, does the Nuvi automatically convert my mph figures and boing at 130 kph for an 81mph setting or will it boing at 81kmh?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, it will correctly bong at 130kph (and display as such) even though you entered the POIs as 81mph.

This is because, internally in the Nuvi it uses neither mph or kph, but metres per second (which is why POI Loader needs to know what units are used in the POI files to convert them to this format), and then the Nuvi displays the metres per second values in either kph or mph depending on the locale setting.
pitstop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. I've finally got it! Thanks. Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: