Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iTIS or TrafficMaster
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iTIS or TrafficMaster
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erniesone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan

Quote:
There have been a few suggestions in this forum for splitting the signal from the car aerial, but the technically less competant of us may be rather reluctant to go hacking into cables like this - especially when there are other issues like "after I've split the aerial, how do I put a 2.5mm jack on the end for my GPS?

Far be it from me to tell you where to put a 2.5mm jack, but actually it is worth having a look at whether a splitter can be placed in your vehicle.

To remove my radio took just two lengths of wire. The splitter (Evesham Tech) fits to the radio and aerial lead to the other end. If you have played with Lego you can do it. There are no electric wires to work with (I would not wish to play with the car wiring). OK, there are two types of radio connections but the splitter caters for both. The Evesham Tech splitter is £29 but it is worth it to give the TMC a chance and just to get rid of that aerial wire around the window (plus it does techie things like removing voltage to the jack plug - as most aerial wires have 12 volt power).

I can only report that the 2.5mm plug fits straight into the TMC aerial unit for the Mio C510 and, with a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor, will work with the ViaMichelin X950T.

Regarding the subject of this forum, Mio recent upgrade has transferred TMC from Trafficmaster to ITIS. Prior to my upgade today I had 60 reports on TM (5 within 50 miles) and on changeover to ITIS (Classic FM) I had 100 reports (50 within 50 miles).

Any comments can only be subjective and it would require a lot of work to assess the quality of reports. If you do 90% of driving on motorways Trafficmaster may have the edge but for general local service my experience is ITIS may be OK.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the longer shoestring aerial supplied with some hi-fi systems be any better than the one provided with the receiver?

erniesone wrote:
Far be it from me to tell you where to put a 2.5mm jack, but actually it is worth having a look at whether a splitter can be placed in your vehicle.

I think I know where to stick the 2.5mm jack - but what I meant was that I'm not sure how to connect this to the end of any split aerial feed.

At times, we'd all like to stick technology somewhere else though Exclamation Laughing
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erniesone wrote:
OK, there are two types of radio connections but the splitter caters for both. The Evesham Tech splitter is £29 but it is worth it to give the TMC a chance
Does it?? I thought it only catered for the old traditional car aerial socket - which other car aerial connection does it support (I know of 2 others, hence the question)...?
erniesone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"swing"

Quote:
Does it?? I thought it only catered for the old traditional car aerial socket - which other car aerial connection does it support (I know of 2 others, hence the question)...?

Please do not get technical on me. As I understand it the normal aerial connection is the thin pencil type (ISO) or thicker (DIN) - (if I have that the right way round). I'm sure you are correct and there will be others.

The Evesham Tech is a DIN socket, but also has an adaptor lead for a ISO connection - and of course you can buy adaptors in Halfords anyway.

However, what I did was take a photo of the radio connection (see below)and armed with that went to check the aerial splitter would attach OK. If you are not sure it is prudent to ask the experts - and unfortunately I am not one. The Splitter just plugs between these two connections and if the 2.5mm jack can be attached to your TMC you are in business - it makes a big difference to reception.

[/img]
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erniesone wrote:
Please do not get technical on me.
A picture is worth a thousand words - thanks for the picture, unfortunately, my car aerial is the third type, that is not supported by that cable Sad
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a comment on TMC reception.

I've only recently got round to using a Garmin GTM 10 in a different car to ususal that does not have the window problems my merc has for reception with a GTM12
In essence I wired the the GTM 10 to the car aerial and it gives far better results than the 12 with the wire string aerial. Iv'e tried both on the same routes and the GTM 10 fitted to car aerials is an odds on winner. :D
Geoffity
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: TMC Reception Reply with quote

My experience of the two providers so far is in favour of iTIS.

I have an OEM Sat Nav unit in my Audi with TMC provided by TrafficMaster (as of end Jan). I have reception problems in the North West, and spend probably 95% of my journeys without TMC Info.

I tried a BMW with OEM Sat Nav and ITIS TMC and had no such reception problems, also found that the Messages came through more quickly.

There were inaccuracies or timing problems (I found jams before TMC) in both cases, but on the basis that the ITIS system provided me with more messages it would get my vote.

Geoff
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of which system you favour, neither provider covers every inch of road and it is therefore unfair to expect instantaneous traffic reports.

It takes a finite amount of time for the sensor(s) to detect a problem, then the data has to be processed before it can be transmitted.

Also, I think that TMC data is only transmitted every few minutes, rather than a constant stream of data.

Apart from this, reception is a real problem and if you can't get a signal, it doesn't make much difference which provider is favoured.

I've had TrafficMaster in the car since the first Freeway systems came out so, at the moment, my personal preference is TrafficMaster - but this could easily change.
RedJuan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
For the TMC test I was using ViaMichelin (iTIS) and Navigon (TrafficMaster).
iTIS use fixed sensors as well as fleet sensors much the same as TrafficMaster.

I currently drive a BMW fitted with Nav. The traffic comes from iTIS and I have found no major issues with this. As far as I know ITIS do not use fixed sensors and use 'fleet sensors'.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct, I was mistaken. iTIS use floating vehicle data in conjunction with data from Highways Agency etc. They do not have their own fixed sensors unlike TrafficMaster.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that, regardless of the type of sensor, the biggest problem with BOTH providers is one of reception.

I recently tried an amplified glass-mount aerial - but reception seemed to be worse than the sheostring aerial.

There is another amplified aerial that I'd like to try, but I'm loathed to spend nearly £30 on something that might not even work.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simplest way to check if external aerial will work is to connect your 'shoestring' aerial lead to the plug on the end of your car aerial. It requires you to remove the car radio - but this is not a big deal on most cars. No cost involved (except a few pence for the radio removal tools from Halford if you don't have any).

If you get better reception then it is probably worth investing in either a seperate aerial or an amplifier and splitter for your existing aerial.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

Very true, but I'd like a portable solution so that I can easily transfer the GPS from one car to another (and take TMC with me)
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then a mag mount external aerial may be the only choice - but they hardly count as portable. You could try extending the shoestring, lead it outside via the door seals and tying it to the external aerial as a support mechanism. It may work but would be less than attractive Wink
Timelord2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a fixed system using itis and a Garmi system using Traffic Master. The itis ifo is useless - if it shows me a holdup i usually ignore it as it is 90% wrong as the data is too old. It has routed me throgh the closed Blackwall tunnel on a couple of occasions. The Traffic Master system is more up-to-data and reliable IMHO. It may be differences between the 2 systems, but I would go with the TM system any day.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: