Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Serial comms quirk... emap and Axim X5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Serial comms quirk... emap and Axim X5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatsoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Serial comms quirk... emap and Axim X5 Reply with quote

Heres one that leaves me tearing my hair out....

I have a Dell Axim X5 with Tom Tom Navigator 2 running, along with a Garmin Emap.

When I plug my Emap into my PC and view the Emaps Nmea strings on Hyperterminal I see them.

When I plug my Axim X5 into my PC (with its serial cable), with a Hyperterminal type program running, strings can be sent back and forth from X5 to PC and PC to X5.

Thus, cables are fine, equipment is fine.

When I plug the X5 directly into the Emap (both running Nmea at 4800) the X5 does not see the strings on Hyperterminal or on the Navigator software. Crying or Very sad

Heres the quirk.... I captured a packet of the Nmea data in Hyperterminal on my PC, and copied it to the clipboard. I then plugged in the X5 and spat the strings back out at the X5. The X5 saw them and thought that it was receiving the data - I saw the Nmea in Hyperterminal, and Tom Tom Navigator 2 thought it had aquired satellites. Exclamation

All I can think of is that the Emap is not providing handshaking, power or something else for the X5 to be able to see the strings.

Any thoughts???!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dell's are notorious for handshake issues with ActiveSync trying to grab the connection if no other app is listening. I'd make sure you:-

1. Start GPS software/Hyperterminal equivalent on PPC
2. Power on GPS
3. Then connect the two together

It may not help much, but Dell's do have a problem and you have to do it in this order otherwise you may not get data come through the com port or it can hang.
gatsoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the speedy reply Dave but still no joy..

Thinking about it, the fact that I can send a packet from Hyperterminal (emulating Nmea data) which the PPC interperets correctly rules out a ActiveSync problem in this case, but I have had the same thing you describe happen with other apps!

I'm wondering if the PPC is expecting a handshake on the RS232 - the Garmin only provides TX, RX and Ground. What I may try is shorting pins 7+8 out on the 232 cable to try and fool the PPC into thinking it has a handshake. Lets hope I don't blow it up! Wink
gatsoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK all, now solved my only problem after a bit of hardcore surfing... Wink

All you need is:

Garmin Emap/Etrex etc
Emap cable (Garmin->9pinD)
9pin D Gender Changer
9pin D Null Modem
Axim Cable
Axim
Sellotape Laughing

Plug 'em all in, then cut a tiny bit of sellotape to cover one of the pins on the Emap plug - the first one in the bank of 3 pins, next to the plastic seperator.

This cuts the Emap 'recieve' line and enables comms.

Thanks for views and speedy replies, hope this comes in handy for someone some time. Thumbs Up
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatsoman wrote:
OK all, now solved my only problem after a bit of hardcore surfing... Wink

All you need is:

Garmin Emap/Etrex etc
Emap cable (Garmin->9pinD)
9pin D Gender Changer
9pin D Null Modem
Axim Cable
Axim
Sellotape Laughing

Plug 'em all in, then cut a tiny bit of sellotape to cover one of the pins on the Emap plug - the first one in the bank of 3 pins, next to the plastic seperator.

This cuts the Emap 'recieve' line and enables comms.

Thanks for views and speedy replies, hope this comes in handy for someone some time. Thumbs Up

Or get a simple Axim>eMap cable from our site.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: