Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ireland & Channel Islands maps for TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ireland & Channel Islands maps for TomTom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Ireland & Channel Islands maps for TomTom Reply with quote

I emailed Tele Atlas yesterday, asking if they have any map data for the Channel Islands available so that TomTom would be able to release it to us. I had a reply today from Serena Hamilton, here it is:

Robert,

We are currently expanding our coverage to include all the major islands outside the mainland Great Britain, and as such will include them at the following times:

Isle of Man - September 2003

Isles of Scilly- September 2003

Channel Islands - December 2003

These dates are the release dates for our product called MultiNet which is available for TomTom to use to make its product for the PDA's

I hope this is enough information for you

Regards

Serena

I then asked about the whole of Ireland, here’s the reply:

We currently have the major roads of Ireland and a few major cities (Dublin, Galway, Limerick and Cork) and are expanding our coverage to places such as, Waterford, Dundalk and Drogheda and Swords in our September and December product releases. We also have extensive coverage of Northern Ireland with Belfast and the major roads covered.

We provide the Islands (and Ireland) to TomTom as they request it, and then they decide how to productise it for the PDA's.

Let’s hope that TomTom wish to productise the above map data as soon as they can and that they will incorporate it all into the Great Britain map.

I have to say that I was very impressed with Tele Atlas as they were very quick in replying to my questions and I’m not even a direct customer.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Ireland & Channel Islands maps for TomTom Reply with quote

That sounds great! Thanks for the inside scoop!   I suspect that we probably won't see these until the next major release of TomTom Navigator (or unless they start an online download map service for Navigator).
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Dave,

I’m glad that you found the information useful. I sent an email to TomTom Support after I received the reply from Tele Atlas, here’s TT’s reply, which I received today:

Thanks for your mail.

We are aware that some of the maps do not include all parts of a country. As yet we have no updates of the maps. Please visit our website from times to times for the latest updates.

Regards,

TomTom Customer Services

Well at least TT Support replied within the next working day. I suppose it was rather cheeky of me telling them when Tele Atlas was going to release the data and then asking TT when they would release it to their user community!

Looks like it’s a game of wait-and-see. I shall monitor TT’s website (as I’m sure a lot of people will) and in September and December I will ask TT the same question.
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Dickb
Occasional Visitor

Thx for all your help, as usual you come up trumps...

dick
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally emailed Tele Atlas on 13 June 2003 with the question of map data for the Channel Islands and Ireland. I emailed them again on 29 December 2003 to see what the latest news was. Over the last week (commencing Monday 12 January 2004) I’ve had an email conversation with them. Here is an abridged version of the replies from Tele Atlas:

I have been speaking to the database side of the company (Tele Atlas) to get details on our coverage planning. They inform me that the coverage of Ireland as described by myself below is now in our database; but other areas (Channel Islands, IoM and Isles of Scilly) currently are not.

The information from Tele Atlas in June 2003 was that:

We currently have the major roads of Ireland and a few major cities (Dublin, Galway, Limerick and Cork) and are expanding our coverage to places such as, Waterford, Dundalk and Drogheda and Swords in our September and December product releases. We also have extensive coverage of Northern Ireland with Belfast and the major roads covered.

So all of the above Irish places are now in their database. Whilst that’s good news about Ireland, I asked (rather cheekily Wink ) about the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands. The reply was:

We currently have no plans to include the IoM or the Channel Islands. We are however continuing our update of Ireland. If you require updated products for your PDA, you will need to speak to TomTom.

This is a shame Crying or Very sad as I am looking forward to the day when I can use a version of TomTom Navigator to aid navigation of the roads in the Channel Island, especially Jersey, as it is my favourite island. I hope that Tele Atlas soon change their minds and decide to include the IoM and the Channel Islands in their database. It is probably a case of available resources and I would imagine that the mapping of Ireland is more important to Tele Atlas than the mapping of the IoM and the Channel Islands.

I also hope that everybody who would like to see the IoM and the Channel Islands in TomTom Navigator will contact both Tele Atlas and TomTom and ask for them.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Eagle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a matter of interest Mapopolis have great maps for the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands. I have been using the Isle of Man map on free trial and can confirm that the street level mapping is very comprehensive. I haven't found a road that is missing yet.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle wrote:
Just as a matter of interest Mapopolis have great maps for the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands. I have been using the Isle of Man map on free trial and can confirm that the street level mapping is very comprehensive. I haven't found a road that is missing yet.

Mapopolis use Navtech maps. Navtech have had full coverage of the Isles of Scilly for a while now. Their latest maps offer full coverage of the Isle of Man but I don't know about the channel islands.

Other updates are:

Northern Ireland: Full coverage for major cities with intertown roads
Ireland: Cork, Count Kerry, Dublin, Galway, Limerick, Waterford

A new addition is the Czech Republic: Prague, Brno, Plzen, Karlovy Vary, Ostrava and Mlada Boleslav

I don't know if these companies share data or what, but their rollout schedule for new maps seems suspiciously close... Confused
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NavTech and TeleAtlas are in direct competition with each other, so roll-out of new areas like any competition will be fairly close.

Interestingly enough when you look at dedicated in-car systems because mapping areas can be different in terms of percentage of detail in specific areas of countries, most dedicated in-car systems allow the option of using both NavTech and TeleAtlas data, but you have to purchase a CD. I think this might be the way that Pocket PC and removable in-car systems will go to eventually, but it will be at a cost which the purchaser/subscriber pays, and it will have to be viable enough for GPS companies like TomTom to recover costs from both companies and have a viable profit, so we may not see it soon, or if we do, it may be at the feet of a price hike, but either way it would be good to have the choice of NavTech or TeleAtlas maps and to be able to select and change them at will.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I also hope that everybody who would like to see the IoM and the Channel Islands in TomTom Navigator will contact both Tele Atlas and TomTom and ask for them.

Well you will be pleased to know that IoM is covered by Tele Atlas but still no Channel Islands
AidenL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have a Navman setup on an Ipaq 3970 - can I just buy a Tom Tom sleeve and software and switch directly over?

Does anyone have any experience of both, which would you recommend? Smile

I'm in Southern Ireland by the way.......
dimension3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidenL wrote:
I currently have a Navman setup on an Ipaq 3970 - can I just buy a Tom Tom sleeve and software and switch directly over?

Iam in southern Ireland and have TomTom Navigator 3, there is no Ireland map. For UK Ireland Route planner, the map is very poor so is the software. I asked them when there will be an Ireland version of the Navigator software and they said there is not enough demand yet, but they are looking into it.
Morris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dimension3"]
AidenL wrote:
I
Iam in southern Ireland and have TomTom Navigator 3, there is no Ireland map. For UK Ireland Route planner, the map is very poor so is the software. I asked them when there will be an Ireland version of the Navigator software and they said there is not enough demand yet, but they are looking into it.

If I lived in the south of Ireland I would be very disappointed with TomTom, I think I would be looking for a refund as it is 'not fit for purpose'. However if you vist mainland Britain I suppose you are getting some use out of it.

Myself, I find TomTom very good in mainland Uk, but I travel to the north of Ireland a lot. In this respect TomTom is very disappointing. To say that it gives coverage of Belfast is simply not good enougth. What about Derry city and other large towns.

I look forward to the day when TomTom gets its act together and gives us a system that we can use anywhere in the UK.

Morris

Grzzzzzz Thumbs Up
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidenL wrote:

Coverage of the 32 counties is very patchy, although Dublin and Belfast have full coverage which is probably where you need the GPS most. Wink

The best thing to do is speak to a local dealer and take a look at the maps before you buy. Also check that you are getting the latest maps, they are improving the coverage with every release.
Morris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my luck, when I'm in Ireland I need cover most for Derry City.

Morris

Grzzzzzz Thumbs Up
andy1turner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But hang on a minute.

The Tele-Atlas web site shows that they supply the maps for ViaMichelin as well using Mapsonic software. This specifically states that they cover Ireland.

So if it is there for ViaMichelin why not for TT?

Here is the link

http://www.teleatlas.com/template_content.jsp?ctype=navigation_solutions_pda&contentpage=pda.jsp

Now I'm getting really angry. Tele-AStlas have the data but Tom Tom chose to ignore it.

Regards
Andrew

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: