Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom v675 Map Now Available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom v675 Map Now Available
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: TomTom v675 Map Now Available Reply with quote

TomTom have today announced the latest Map Update program is now available. The Version 6.75 map is now available to purchase from the TomTom Map Store.

The new maps will only be available as a download and there will not be a 6.75 map version for Navigator 5 users. Navigator 5 users can however continue to purchase the 6.6 maps.

Prices for downloadable maps are:
Regional maps: €39.95 - €59.95
Map of Western Europe: €99.95
Map of Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary and Slovakia: €59.95
Map of South Africa: €99.95
Map of Australia: €199.95
Map of Hong Kong: €39.95
Map of Singapore: €39.95
Map of US and Canada: €99.95

The full press release is copied below:

Quote:
New and Expanded Maps Now Available for TomTom Users

TomTom makes maps of new territories available

New maps offer an abundance of new navigation information including:

Thousands of kilometres of new roads and cross roads across Europe

- London’s new congestion charge zone (UK)
- New Points Of Interest in small urban areas (France);
- Increased house number information (Italy, Spain, Portugal);

Amsterdam, 17 April 2007 – TomTom, the world’s largest navigation solutions provider, today announces the availability of updates of most of its maps across its entire product portfolio. Customers will be able to conveniently update the maps for their device through TomTom HOME or via the TomTom website on www.tomtom.com.

The new TomTom maps contain updated information on the following regions: Europe, USA and Canada. In addition, map of South Africa will now also be available. Furthermore, the new maps also reflect numerous updates in the road network, including thousands of kilometres of new roads, cross roads and Points of Interest across Europe. Using the most up to date maps guarantees users an accurate, simple, safe, easy and stress-free navigation experience.

The updated maps are compatible with the entire TomTom GO, TomTom ONE, TomTom RIDER and TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 product portfolio.

The updated maps can be purchased as a download via TomTom HOME - TomTom’s free software application that enables users to manage, download, store and transfer content from their computer onto their TomTom device - or from the TomTom website. Customers can easily install their new maps onto their TomTom via TomTom HOME.

“With the update of our maps portfolio, TomTom continues to deliver easy to use, affordable and the most accurate maps available. All our users can buy maps with the latest and most up to date information, including recent updates in the global road network. This ensures the best and safest navigation on the market for TomTom users,” says Alexander Ribbink, chief operating officer at TomTom.

The updated TomTom maps are immediately available via TomTom HOME or at www.tomtom.com/products/maps.

PPrices for downloadable maps are:
Regional maps: €39.95 - €59.95
Map of Western Europe: €99.95
Map of Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary and Slovakia: €59.95
Map of South Africa: €99.95
Map of Australia: €199.95
Map of Hong Kong: €39.95
Map of Singapore: €39.95
Map of US and Canada: €99.95

iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question

does anyone know if the WE map has the UK congestion charge zone info?

thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iancjc wrote:
Quick question

thanks

yes it does.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For information ...

I've just finished downloading v6.75 maps for my GO700 and GO710. They were charged at different prices. The website said it was unable to charge me in Euros at present, so I was charged in GBP - for the GO700, Map of Western Europe and Central Europe, £63.49, for the GO710, Map of Western Europe, £57.71. Both maps show as v675.1409. My previous maps were "up to date", namely GO710 as in new machine 1st December 2006, the GO700 new map downloaded 28th November 2006 (and it was not identical to the 710 map).

The download took over two hours ("up to 8Mb Broadband" - GO700 was 1700Mb, 710 was 944Mb) probably twice as long as it should because it seemed to download three copies of the map for GO710. I can't be bothered to contact TT over it, but anybody else who wishes to grumble, be my guest!

Still no Channel Islands, by the way.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
iancjc wrote:
Quick question

thanks

yes it does.

Thanks Darren - off to get me wallet
mplep
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new TomTom One Europe comes with v6.6 Navteq maps. The TomTom site shows I can purchase this newer 6.75 version for my device, but I'd be going from Navteq to Teleatlas in that case. Are TomTom back to Teleatlas after just using Navteq for the Europe and Rider temporarily?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom are using both TA and Navteq. Whilst you could purchase and install the TA mapset instead I'd wait until the Navteq update is made available.
capscrew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: new maps Reply with quote

What a con! I bought “new” maps for my navigator 6 at Christmas that was up to date at a discount price from T.T. home. Now T.T. is offering up to date maps? So we have to pay for new maps that were new a short wile ago. Should this not be a free upgrade?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh? Map updates are not compulsory. If you don't want them then don't buy them. Why should map data that costs companies money to licence be given away free?
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Eh? Map updates are not compulsory. If you don't want them then don't buy them. Why should map data that costs companies money to licence be given away free?

Hang on Darren, that’s a bit strong, It may not be a con, and of course we have to make the decision as to purchase or not, But Tom Tom do make life complicated. No maps for well over a year, then the opportunity to purchase new maps at reduced prices if you purchase by a certain date, and then new map releases again in 3 months.
The decision to purchase, or not, would be made easier if there were a defined number of map releases per year and if we were told the number of changes made over the last version.
After all there could be one change this month and next month 3,000 changes. We should at least have some idea of data change levels and a timetable for next releases.
As far as cost is concerned I do think one has the right to be miffed if you purchased maps last week only to find an update this week. There must be a method of obtaining an upgrade discount dependant on when you last purchase you maps.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible a little strong and for that I apologise Smile It just never ceases to amaze me that people expect a discount on a map purchase just because they bought a new map shortly before another was released. A new map release doesn't make an existing map obsolete overnight.

I will concede that their is a question about what has changed in a new map release but it would be impossible to quantify anyway. If a new map contained 3000 additions and it transpired they were all in London and you lived in Scotland that wouldn't help anyone make the decision to purchase.
You wouldn't expect a discount on an AA Road Atlas if it was superseded shortly after you had bought a copy and this really is no different.

The maps worked OK before and they will continue to work if you choose not to upgrade. Users have been clamouring for more frequent updates for a long time now and TomTom are one of the first to offer them.
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So will these new v675 maps soon start to appear on newly-purchased GO units? I'm about to buy a GO710 to replace my old Mio 168, but if waiting a few weeks will get me a GO with more up-to-date maps than I'd get if I bought now, then I'll keep my wallet in my trousers for a while longer!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gareth71 wrote:
So will these new v675 maps soon start to appear on newly-purchased GO units? I'm about to buy a GO710 to replace my old Mio 168, but if waiting a few weeks will get me a GO with more up-to-date maps than I'd get if I bought now, then I'll keep my wallet in my trousers for a while longer!
I think this is the relevant point. It would seem impossible for any units bought last week to include the new maps, similarly this week. They all were put together before the map was released and even though TT obviously knew about the pending issue, it would be a poor marketing ploy to say "buy this unit but a new map will be coming out next week". When I bought my GO700, it came with a voucher in the box to get a free map upgrade, presumably because the new map was immediately imminent or overdue (I cashed in the voucher last 28th November). It would make sense for TT to make this a standard (and well advertised) practice for all new devices sold more than say six months (or whatever) after the last new map. Or is the modern Satnav going the way of printers where you can buy a unit relatively cheap, but the real running cost comes from the "consumables" - maps. Perhaps not quite, but if TT is the only source of the maps, they get all the profit and don't share a penny with retailers. I would not be surprised to learn that they make more from the maps than from the devices.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I will concede that their is a question about what has changed in a new map release but it would be impossible to quantify anyway. If a new map contained 3000 additions and it transpired they were all in London and you lived in Scotland that wouldn't help anyone make the decision to purchase.
You wouldn't expect a discount on an AA Road Atlas if it was superseded shortly after you had bought a copy and this really is no different.

The maps worked OK before and they will continue to work if you choose not to upgrade. Users have been clamouring for more frequent updates for a long time now and TomTom are one of the first to offer them.

Darren:-
You know better then most, but would it not be possible to do just that, release notes that say 1000 updates in Germany, 2 in UK for example. Surely this data must be available from the mapping providers.
The AA road atlas is a touch cheaper than a Tom Tom map update but I do take your point, of course they will still work.
Can we take it that new map updates can be expected quartly from now on?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a question to which I don't know the answer but perhaps I can put it to the map providers at the show on Saturday.

I do know that they have always offered quarterly updates to manufacturers but those manufacturers have been reluctant in the past to take them because of the costs of preparing a new map for release and the distribution costs etc. By making them download only TomTom can avoid at least some of that cost but the key factor will be if they sell enough to justify the production.

Time will tell!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: