Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce the TomTom One XL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce the TomTom One XL
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: TomTom announce the TomTom One XL Reply with quote

After no consumer product announcements at CeBIT we were left wondering what was going to happen with the TomTom product line this year. Was there going to be any new developments? Well the answers have started to come in...

Last week we saw the launch of the TomTom Rider 2, and today we see the next in the TomTom One range. A 4.3 inch widescreen version of the One dubbed the TomTom One XL it will be available in the stores from May. Of course if you come along to the PocketGPSWorld.com SatNav Expo on Saturday 21st April you will be one of the first people to see the new TomTom One.

Tim has been on the beta test team for the new TomTom One XL and will no doubt be posting some more pictures very shortly.
TomTom One XL Press Release wrote:

TomTom Launches New TomTom ONE XL Product Range

~ TomTom ONE XL makes navigation even easier to use and safer
with its extra large widescreen ~

Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 16 April 2007 – TomTom, the world’s largest navigation solution provider, today reveals the new TomTom ONE XL range with a super-sized 4.3 inch high-quality touch screen and a sleek new design.

The 4.3 inch screen guarantees drivers a clear view of the screen, whilst ensuring a stress free and safer journey on the road. Thanks to the enlarged screen drivers will have a better overview of the road ahead with more streets and information on display. The TomTom ONE XL is also traffic ready, meaning that drivers have easy access to traffic information via an RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver accessory or a subscription to TomTom Traffic.

“We now have a great solution for everyone that would like to experience all benefits of the world’s best-selling navigation device TomTom ONE, combined with the ease of use of an extra large touch screen for added visibility and the possibility of receiving traffic information on the device. The TomTom ONE XL range has it all included and is a perfect addition to our product portfolio,” said Harold Goddijn, TomTom chief executive officer.”

The new TomTom ONE XL ensures great and easy to use navigation for consumers thanks to the high quality navigation features available on all TomTom devices, such as free QuickGPSfix software, the latest and most up to date maps and fast route calculation.

In addition, drivers have access to all TomTom PLUS services including safety camera alerts, real-time traffic and weather reports, updates on road conditions and the TomTom Buddies feature.

In conjunction with the TomTom ONE XL, a range of new accessories is being launched to complement the design and usability of the TT ONE XL. The range includes carry cases, different mounting solutions, and a fast home charger.

Users also get access to TomTom HOME. TomTom HOME is TomTom’s free software application enabling users to manage, download, store and transfer content from their computer onto their TomTom device. Via TomTom HOME users can easily plan routes, download voices, obtain traffic alerts and install maps to keep their TomTom up to date at anytime.

TomTom ONE XL will be available from all major retailers across Europe, as well as the US, Australia and South Africa from May 2007.

MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been informed of the pricing of the new TomTom One XL:
- TomTom ONE XL (UK & ROI) at £249 (including Safety Cameras)
- TomTom ONE XL for Western Europe at £279 (including Safety Cameras)
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would anyone want a WIDER display? I would FAR prefer a portrait device so I can see what's coming up ahead. I'm not really interested in what's going on 2 miles to either side!

This is especially important as for some reason which nobody really understands, TomTom have decided to place all the data below the already-landscape screen instead of down one side which would seem more logical to preserve the vertical space. This means on a 910 for example, you have an extremely wide letterbox view of the road ahead. If you're not in the 3D view (which I don't like) you can see about 4 times further to your left or right than you can in the direction you're travelling in. The mind boggles!

I would also prefer a device which has the functionality of a 910 but in the package of a ONE. The 910 is WAY too big and heavy and needlessly so since most of the internals are either empty space, a huge block of aluminium, or a very poorly designed connector mount.
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
Why would anyone want a WIDER display? I would FAR prefer a portrait device so I can see what's coming up ahead. I'm not really interested in what's going on 2 miles to either side!

This is especially important as for some reason which nobody really understands, TomTom have decided to place all the data below the already-landscape screen instead of down one side which would seem more logical to preserve the vertical space. This means on a 910 for example, you have an extremely wide letterbox view of the road ahead. If you're not in the 3D view (which I don't like) you can see about 4 times further to your left or right than you can in the direction you're travelling in. The mind boggles!

I would also prefer a device which has the functionality of a 910 but in the package of a ONE. The 910 is WAY too big and heavy and needlessly so since most of the internals are either empty space, a huge block of aluminium, or a very poorly designed connector mount.

ABSOBLOODYLUTELY! Thumbs Up

I've always wondered why they go "wide" instead of "tall"
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a mockup of this layout produced by a reviewer on www.YourNav.com

I think this layout is excellent and should be rolled out to all widescreen devices in a future firmware update (although I think I would prefer the data on the right hand side, but they could easily make this a user option).
radavis
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its nice knowing it has a bigger screen, but what is new inside and what does it do that my 700 and the 910 doesnt do??

Is it hard drive or SD?

What chip does it use?

Does anybody know?

Raymond
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regional is still SD card & Euro model is still 1Gb internal memory

http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=0&Language=1
zark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so is this the end of the previous one, or as well as?

Quote:
The 266 Mhz Samsung CPU and 32 MB of memory are identical to the current ONE’s. Also the internal Li-ion battery is the same, and will last about 2-3 hrs, depending on the use. Lastly, we see that TomTom has chosen to use the Hammerhead chipset by Global Locate, which is also present in the smaller ONE Europe and the GO 715. One thing that is new with this device is the support for traffic information via TMC. For this, a separate receiver needs to be purchased which can then be connected to the bottom of the ONE XL unit.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like others, I'd like to see the 910 functionallity (text to speech maily) available in a smaller form factor, similar to the ONE & Garmin Nuvi units. The x10 range is far too big, and there's still no alternative mounting solution available.

Finally is there any update on the new/updated TMC receiver, I'd like to know if the replacement includes an external antenna connector?
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zark wrote:
so is this the end of the previous one, or as well as?

I reckon they'll keep them both running for now as there's quite a price difference.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radavis wrote:
Its nice knowing it has a bigger screen, but what is new inside and what does it do that my 700 and the 910 doesnt do??

It's not a competitor for either the x10 range.
Quote:
Is it hard drive or SD?

Regional is SD, Europe is on board memory.
Quote:
What chip does it use?

GlobalLocat as does the later ONE MKII's
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree but TomTom are not alone in moving to wide-screen views and there is some reasoning behind this. Research has shown that because we 'see' in Landscape, people prefer to view other things in the same format. Your view out of the windscreen is landscape and tests showed that the majority were more comfortable and could assimilate data from a 3d mapping based device more easily in landscape.
Quote:

The X10's are far from empty! They have a large battery and a very large speaker. There is little room inside them. The ONE range is smaller by virtue of the much smaller capacity battery and smaller, lower fidelity speaker.

Whilst I can foresee a replacement for the X10 range being slimmer, the likelihood of one appearing now is slim as it would detract from sales of the premium range.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Research has shown that because we 'see' in Landscape

Last time I checked, our eyes are spherical and our retinas are circular so I'm not sure about that, but I won't argue it as I'm not a biologist Smile I'm guessing that our field of view is closer to square/circular than the ratio of a TomTom screen.

Darren wrote:
The X10's are far from empty! They have a large battery and a very large speaker. There is little room inside them. The ONE range is smaller by virtue of the much smaller capacity battery and smaller, lower fidelity speaker.

Um, are you looking at the same 910 that I'm talking about?

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/insidetomtomgo910.php

It's clear from the pictures above that about half the space inside the 910 is either the oversized aluminium chassis, or air (either side of the speaker). There is no need for such a heavy metal chassis when literally every other satnav product out there gets away without one. The actual circuit board and GPS aerial is quite small - volumetrically speaking - which is why an almost identical board fits into a ONE or any PDA/smartphone. As for the battery, it's only about the size of a mobile phone battery and takes up less than 5% of the volume by my calculations. It doesn't seem to last significantly longer than the battery in the ONE in my experience (about 2 hours). The speaker takes up some room - agreed, but this is mainly because it's been mounted at a 45 degree angle. If mounted parallel to the screen, the device could have been made MUCH smaller. The mount wastes a huge amount of space and makes the device about 2cm thicker than it needs to be.

I think they could easily have made the 910 about 3cm thick - even with the larger speaker and battery but it's at least double that and much heavier than any similar device. Not very handy if you want to carry it around in a foreign city to find the sights.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
Last time I checked, our eyes are spherical and our retinas are circular so I'm not sure about that, but I won't argue it as I'm not a biologist Smile I'm guessing that our field of view is closer to square/circular than the ratio of a TomTom screen.

Your eyes must be very close together then or you only have one! More accurately our eyes are binocular and this is by definition wider than it is tall.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
NickG wrote:

Your eyes must be very close together then or you only have one!

Having two eyes does not significantly widen your field of view (apart from the very slight effect whereby your nose gets in the way). It would only widen your field of view if your eyes pointed outwards - as with a fish. Most peoples eyes point the same direction! If they didn't, the images from each eye wouldn't line up and you'd have a very hard time looking at anything at all. You have two eyes for the purposes of generating a stereoscopic (3D) image so you can judge distances.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: