Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MIO 168 charge/sync connection...again!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MIO 168 charge/sync connection...again!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boluwd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: MIO 168 charge/sync connection...again! Reply with quote

I have received the MIO 168 off a friend who has not used the product for a very long time. When I insert the charge/sync cable to charge from mains, none of the "charge/activity" lights come on. The PDA works off the mains and will connect with the Microsoft active sync v 4.5. I have left the unit to charge for several hours but as soon as I disconnect the cable, the PDA goes dead.

As the product is beyond warranty, I have opened the back and close inspection does not reveal any breakages. Could it be that the battery is just totally dead and will not charge? I am thinking of investing in a new battery, but before I spend £20 I would really like to confirm that the charging unit is still ok. Otherwise the new battery will be shortlived.
The battery status program starts with a small red band followed by a shortlived green band of around 40% followed by a blue band extending 100%.
Should I risk the £20 and try a new battery or can someone confirm whether no lights on the PDA during charge means the product is destined for the bin?
dabut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is worth getting a new battery to try before binning it and a lot cheaper than your quote if you look here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mitac-Mio-168-Yakumo-Delta-300-Battery-1800mAh-PDA_W0QQitemZ130094734521QQcategoryZ75446QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
philip4242
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, Boluwd ...

Have you checked that the battery switch on the rear of the Mio 168 is in the 'ON' position ?

Otherwise, the battery probably won't charge, and the PDA will definitely go dead when the mains power is removed.

If the battery has been discharged for a long time (weeks/months), it may need a 24-hour charge to recover - or it might never recover, at all !

Also, there's a possibility that the tiny connector on the end of the cable from the fold-down GPS 'aerial' may have disconnected from its socket on the PDA motherboard (it certainly did when I replaced the battery in my own Mio 168 clone !).

Whilst this wouldn't affect the battery charging, it might cause some consternation, once you get the battery sorted !

Philip
Boluwd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dabut & philip4242 for your replies. I have ordered a new battery from the ebay link, still waiting for it to be delivered (Easter holidays etc).

Yes, the "on/off" switch at rear was in the on position. I'll put it on charge again tonight to see if a longer period is required. It's just that no lights appear at all during the charging process.

Will keep everyone posted!
richyp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been experiencing the exact same problem with my 168 and it seems to be a very common problem with the early batches, something to do with the sync connector breaking of the pda motherboard. My problem came about 3-4 days out of warranty (sods law!) and i'm chasing up the retailer through the sales of goods act 1979.
Boluwd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New battery now installed and all is well. A word of caution to anyone thinking of buying the 1800mAh, they are a shade thicker than the standard issue battery. Therefore it's a tight fit in the case and they can cause pressure points on the screen.
wickerman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richyp wrote:
I've been experiencing the exact same problem with my 168 and it seems to be a very common problem with the early batches, something to do with the sync connector breaking of the pda motherboard. My problem came about 3-4 days out of warranty (sods law!) and i'm chasing up the retailer through the sales of goods act 1979.

This problem happened to me today too...is it just 12 months warranty on the 168, because I bought mine in Aug 05? Did you have any joy either repairing it or claiming back through the retailer?

Cheers
Neil
dabut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wickerman wrote:
richyp wrote:

This problem happened to me today too...is it just 12 months warranty on the 168, because I bought mine in Aug 05? Did you have any joy either repairing it or claiming back through the retailer?

Cheers
Neil

check with mio because i think the warranty is 2 years.also had it happen to me but was lucky and had a friend solder it back on and now works a treat Laughing
richyp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wickerman wrote:
richyp wrote:

Cheers
Neil

Hi,

The Mio 168 does indeed have a 2 year warranty. I bought mine in March 05 and Mio refused to repair it under warranty as it was out by a few days and wanted to charge me 100 quid for a motherboard replacement! As you bought it in August 05 you're still within your warranty period and I would suggest to get in contact with them and get it sorted ASAP as Mio don't give a **** when you're out of warranty.

I bought mine from globalpositioningsystems.co.uk and they're refusing to pay for the repair costs. I've just gotten trading standards involved and they informed me that it is the retailer who is responsible for the cost of a repair/replacement as it has not lasted a reasonable amount of time.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: