Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed cameras on pna205
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed cameras on pna205
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshtbh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Speed cameras on pna205 Reply with quote

Hi all,

Hello forum, first post here but i've enjoyed the site for a while.

I have just bought a Medion PNA205 GPS and I can't figure out where in the folder structure of the device to put the speed camera files (which come on the disc), does anyone know where i should put them please?

Another question is : does this site carry a Speed Camera database for this GPS please?
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,
another noob here...The Forum looks great, prefessional & with no muppets..(which is great).
Josh, I've just bought one from Tescos yesterday.
The camera database in preloaded...but (for whatever reason) the camera locations didn't appear on the navigation map for a few hours.
That said, I did crash the unit (fatal exceptions, low memory etc etc) & did a reboot.
It may be luck or good judgement but all is OK now.

Any advice on best get full use out of the PNA205 would be appreciated.

Kind Regards
DNN
Adi51
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered one online from tesco direct couldnt resist at £60, cant find much info about them but i bet there will be a lot of new 205 owners over easter

anyone know what OS these run and what sort of processor and any possible mods to them?
vin123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just discovered to enable a speed camera database, which is pre-loaded, you need to touch the green square in the bottom right hand corner. Its a little tricky to get so you might need a stylus. Then you need to simply touch the activate option, and then save settings.

I'm not sure how up to date the database is, and I'm unsure on how to update it, although the option screen does point to POI Warner.
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vin123 wrote:
Have just discovered to enable a speed camera database, which is pre-loaded, you need to touch the green square in the bottom right hand corner. Its a little tricky to get so you might need a stylus. Then you need to simply touch the activate option, and then save settings.

I'm not sure how up to date the database is, and I'm unsure on how to update it, although the option screen does point to POI Warner.

Well spotted....the cds/handbook aren't up to much.
POI Warner seems a bit pricey, compared to the £2.00 per month subscription on this forum.BUT, I'm not sure how to go about installing/deciding which data to download.
Any teccies out there willing to help out pls?

Kind Regards
DNN
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, Without access to a device it is difficult to work out what the format is of the Speed Camera Database loaded.
It might be possible to port the PocketGPSWorld database to the device, but we need to fully understand the format before trying something like this.
I am not too sure if any of the the other Moderators or Staff have tried using one of these devices as yet, and if so did it have the same software installed when they did! - Mike
sconie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure all of us new sat nav tesco shoppers are looking forward to hearing what the experianced users on this forum have to say.
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....
You're in Blackpool (not a million miles from me)...why don't you borrow mine for a hour or two & have a good look at the unit.
If it's do-able, then the users of this unit will benefit.
...and me, well, I'd happily settle for some help in loading all the possible POIs/camera sites onto my MMC/SD card, or (better still f.o.c. 'life membership' on the forum).

Kind Regards
DN
sconie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a reply to the "Can the Medion 205 run tomtom" over on the moneysavingexpert forum, the poster thinks that the Medion would struggle to run tomtom 6 as is requires at least a 400 mhz processor and the Medion apparently only has a 300 mhz, so maybe it's a no-no Sad
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but why buy a medion unit then put tomtom on it just go for tomtom unit or a cheep pda. by unlocking the unit you will void any warrenty you have trying to unlock it can also brick the unit giving you a new £60 doorstop.

im not saying dont do it but if you do decide to unlock the unit the above is worth thinking about

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
but why buy a medion unit then put tomtom on it just go for tomtom unit or a cheep pda. by unlocking the unit you will void any warrenty you have trying to unlock it can also brick the unit giving you a new £60 doorstop.

im not saying dont do it but if you do decide to unlock the unit the above is worth thinking about

Hi,
Personally,I'm not looking to put Tom Tom on instead of the preloaded Nav Software.
Just for extra guidance to install extra POI's & this Forums' camera database. The Warner CD supplied/data pre loaded will soon be out of date.

Kind Regards
DN
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To find the speedcam info the easiest thing to do is pop the disc that came with the unit into your computer right click on the disc and 'explore', have a hunt around and try and find what file format the system uses.
joshtbh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the replies all.

Does anyone actually know where abouts the folder is to put the speed camera files in please, and what the speed camera/POI files extensions are?

Thanks.
BorisBlank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works fine with the PocketGPS SpeedCam data. Just download POI Warner, install to an SD card rather than the onboard memory and then download the SpeedCam data in .ASC format into Warner POI sub folder called POIs and use POI Warner to "monitor" the speedcam data (or any other .asc data).

I found POI Warner awkward to get at to start monitoring as it does not show up as a menu item on the PNA (I kept reinstalling it to get it to show up so that I could update it) but once its done it works perfectly and once you figure out how it works its quite straight forward but very frustrating initially.

I would have thought 300hz was enough to run TomTom6, but can't figure out how to hack the 205 in order to install it.
Paul
BorisBlank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a fella that has got TomTom up and running on the 205, see here
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=4820120&postcount=300

I tried but its right on the limits of my ability and I couldn't quite get it to work.
Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: