Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM 3? Anyone heard anything
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM 3? Anyone heard anything
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And interestingly the compaible PC's list in TTN3-Doos-Zijkant.jpg does not list the h1940 iPAQ? Strange considering TT2 is compatible, perhaps just an oversight.
stevex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: TOMTOM NAV 3 AVAILABLE IN 2 WEEKS Reply with quote

Hi

I have info that i may be able to get TT nav 3 around the 18th March 2004.

If you wish to know more then let me know.

Stevex
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that points to an official launch at CeBit? Given what we have seen so far I don't see many of us rushing out to buy an upgrade Sad
DavidM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be going after a new version - but based on what I have seen - not of TomTom - I cannot believe this is a major upgrade - I am thinking that CoPilot looks mighty tempting right now
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wonder if we are being too quick to judgement.
How fast can/should product like TT evolve?
Maps, certainly they should be updated on regular basis but there
is only so much you can do with actual prog especially if you are
trying to grow market at same time.
Just my 2p worth :|
simkna
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think dmac has a point. In terms of what I *need* from TT3, revised maps and inclusion of waypoints pretty much covers it. Compared to where we started from (V1) we have already come a long way - there's a limit to the functionality you can build into an application like this without it becoming "bloaty". After all, updated maps is all you get for your money on my Audi system upgrades. Agreed, if Tomtom are happy to just sit back on their laurels and watch the money pour in without putting much work into product development, then that sucks, and fobbing us off with pretty new icons is very lame, but they already have what most would consider the best product out there, and just because it may not offer some things we were hoping for, does not make it a bad product. I guess the real key here is how much the upgrade costs - most won't be happy to pay too much for what will be viewed as a map revision release.

Si.
jedstagg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most other people on here.

All I'm really after is updated maps, and a more stable system (still have to do a hard reset once a month).

The 3D icons really don't do it for me - TomTom will have to try harder to convince me to upgrade!
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken, but seeing as this is still a growing market, can they afford to sit back? When I was looking I came to it with a completely unbiased view and bought TTN after weighing up the pros and cons of each unit.

Clever interface design could add much more functionality to TTN without bloating it (I remember when I first launching it thinking how weird it was set out, but I've just got used to it now). There are many little things that they could add and clean up without sacrificing usability that would keep it ahead of the game.

Like I say, I'd be happy if much of this release was tidying up done under the bonnet. New icons are normally the icing on the cake, not the whole cake.
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like tomtom is already using the major roads of europe to answer the question on cross border routing. (clicky, clicky)

i guess for me, i will still upgrade even though i'm a bit dissapointed. tomtom to me is still the better choice. waypoints and the major roads of europe are good additions. i hope though that they provide a PC utility to stitch maps together.
Charlie999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my IPAQ on holiday in January and when I came home saw what it could do and purchased a GPS and TOMTOM2 about two weeks ago. Then I found this site full of good information.

My point is now I see that TOMTOM 3 is coming out soon. Do you think that people like me will have some sort of a discount on the upgrade? I will be upgrading however because I am that sort of person that must have the most up tp date software installed etc.

I know its my fault and am aware that all software gets upgraded but did not think I would miss the date by a few weeks.

Have we got an estimated date on sale in the UK yet?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will almost certainly get a discounted upgrade, in fact having bought it in January you 'might' get a free upgrade so long as you have proof of purchase.

It is likely to be available towards the end of this month although no confirmation as yet.
Charlie999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a fair thing if they did. I just looked my receipt up and I bought it on the 19 February.

Will keep an eye on this site I bet it will be all over the home page when it is on sale.

Thanks again.
Charlie
thedon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only bought TT2 in Jan 04, and won't consider upgrading unless there's a new map included (or it's free, and has performance improvements).

Waypoints would be good - but not worth shelling out another £100 notes.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be extremely unlucky if the update doesn't have updated maps. All major/annual releases have updated maps, the last upgrade from TTN1 to TTN2 came in at around £30. Whether it's going to be at a similar price, but the TTN2 maps were dated Q4 2002 (December) so I would expect to see something similar Q4 September 2003 onwards.
topgearuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most people are being a bit harsh here, the graphics are fine they do the job just fine for me, they don’t need changing, hey I never ever use 3D for a start it's just a gimmick and not necessary all I want is a reliable A-B GPS routing programme at a reasonable price and TomTom has always delivered in my opinion... The only things that need addressing are up to date maps, post code search and the odd bug here and there sorting out. If I want more then this I would look at alternatives.

I think A lot of people forget that this is just a routing programme that is meant to be user friendly and do the job it’s is designed to do as well as it can for the price that it costs.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: