Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bluetooth GPS car installation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bluetooth GPS car installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BennTech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth GPS car installation Reply with quote

I have an old Pharos I used for years with my e740 PDA, then got a new PDA phone and got the Pharos bluetooth adapter. Not happy with it. Battery life is short and bright blue glow on the dash is distracting at night.

What I'd really like is a bluetooth GPS that powered by my car's ignition and has a weatherproof external antenna that I can mount on my roof. Basically, a bluetooth GPS with car-installation. With the popularity if car-based GPS systems, I'd think that would be relatively common, but I'm having a hard time finding one. The closest I've found is the Parrot CK3300, but that includes a bluetooth phone-to-stereo hookup for making phone calls (I already have the Parrot MK6000 that includes music streaming, but, alas, no GPS option).

Any suggestions?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern Bluetooth GPS do not need an external antenna. There are a few that can be powered from 12v such as the Holux GPSlim 236.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Modern Bluetooth GPS do not need an external antenna.

I would second that !I bought a BT-Q818 just over a week ago and short of putting it inside a SS saucepan with the lid on or the Bosh fridge I can't kill the sat reception .I keep it trapped between the sun visor and the roof of my VW Polo and rarely get less than 6 Sats.It has been left switched on during this time and lasted a full seven days before needing to be recharged .I had also done several long trips and and a few trial walks with MM the later I am not that impressed with as the Gps position goes walkabout from time to time and it looses BT signal (this may be because I have not set things correctly, or 2210 sd card ( which has MM on) combination or Gps Gate. But with TomTom i can't fault it.

Dave
BennTech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't aware the new receivers were so powerful. I tried my ancient Pharos in the storage box between my visors, but it can't find anything unless it's got an unadulterated view of the sky.

If the new receivers will work through my car's roof, I might try the Holux GPSlim 240. That one looks small enough to fit next to CDs in my storage box and I can run the 12V adapter to it through the roof pillars along side my radar detector's power. Any other suggestions for 12V bluetooth GPS?

Not to get too off-topic, but anyone know if the GPSlim 240 has ignition-controlled power like the 236?
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BennTech wrote:
Any other suggestions for 12V bluetooth GPS?

Not to get too off-topic, but anyone know if the GPSlim 240 has ignition-controlled power like the 236?

Don't know the answer to your last question, but the aforementioned BT-Q818 has Bluetooth connection On/Standby switching, 32 hour battery life (a couple of weeks in standby), and is even more sensitive than a SIRF III receiver.
nemogps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kartracer wrote:
BennTech wrote:
Any other suggestions for 12V bluetooth GPS?

Don't know the answer to your last question, but the aforementioned BT-Q818 has Bluetooth connection On/Standby switching, 32 hour battery life (a couple of weeks in standby), and is even more sensitive than a SIRF III receiver.

I'm not sure what "ignition-controlled power" means. The 236 manual reads pretty much the same as the 240 manual except it has a larger battery for a longer life. The Holux 240 does not seem to have a low power standby mode when the bluetooth connection is broken. The 236 manual talks about it, but it only increases the battery life from 10 to 16 hours. This is still nowhere near the 32 hours of the BT-Q818. I guess they have a *huge* battery in that one!

I bought a Holux 240 because I wanted something very small to carry in a pocket or on my hat. The others are just a bit too large for that. I expect the BT-Q818 might be too heavy for my hat, but would still fit in a pocket just fine.

They are all good units. The 236 and 240 are essentially identical except for the size and some details. I would not worry about the sensitivity of any of these units, compared to what they were making 3 years ago they are all excellent.

BTW, where did you get the info on the BT-Q818 being more sensitive than units with the SiRF III? I have not seen that anywhere. I have seen a new chip set that essentially matches the SiRF III. Ftech sells units with the MediaTek chips and they seem to be pretty good. But they don't claim to be *better* than the SiRF III... I found the PocketGPS review of the BT-Q818 and the author did report that the BT-Q818 worked better than a SiRF III based unit. Interesting... this does not show in the data sheets.

One other point, I don't think any of these units can be directly powered from 12 volts. They all need a regulator to provide 5 volts typically just like the USB connector provides.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: