Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOM TOM ONE V 6.56 Very Slow to find GPS Signal
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOM TOM ONE V 6.56 Very Slow to find GPS Signal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rfselec
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: TOM TOM ONE V 6.56 Very Slow to find GPS Signal Reply with quote

After upgrading 2 Tom Tom Ones (mine and a friends) to the latest V6.560, have noticed that sometimes the units can take up to 5 minutes to "find" a valid GPS signal from start-up. This is becomming a real pain. Both were far quicker finding a signal BEFORE upgrading firmware. Reading through other forums, I suspect this could be to do with the GPS QuickFix (or not so quick in my 2 cases). Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

Thanks, Rick
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a Reset and make sure the first gps lock is done outside it worked in my case and now get a signal in 5 to 10 sec
rfselec
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestion - I did a reset indoors after the upgrade so I'll give it a try outdoors. Many thanks for your quick response.
bb193
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated mine, and it seems to be lightning fast (although I don't think it was ever a problem really).

I sat in my car in the High street this morning and turned the One on after it had been off all night. It could not possibly know where I was as I'd travelled a couple of miles from when I switched it off last night.

It took about 10 seconds to start up, but there was never a second when it had greyed out maps - they were coloured, with a GPS signal, the moment the map showed.

Oddly, although it said it had 9 satellites, it showed my car about 10-15 feet away from the road. Over the next few seconds, it just gradually brought the car onto the road, where I was located.
rfselec
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Still having the same problem of slow GPS pick-up after the quick-fix addition (V6.56 update). Definately is slower that it used to be, also got 2 colleagues now reporting the same problem. It does improve things "slightly" if I do the GPS quick-fix update once a week, but this is not practical for the other 2 guys who don't have regular PC access. Is there any way to remove this feature so I can try my ONE again without GPS quick-fix?. Could be our perception, but we're convinced it's not as quick as with the older V6.52. Thanks in advance.
zzr1200
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you completely. Before the quick GPS fix was on my TT it always seemed to take about 20-40seconds to fix. Now, with the new quick GPS fix program, if I have recently udpated (under 1 week), it finds a fix super quick but if I haven't updated for over a week it can take 3 - 4 minutes to get a fix.
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quickfix needs reloading every week doesn't it?

See here from TT:

Get going quicker. With QuickGPSfix.

QuickGPSfix can speed up the time it takes to fix your GPS position by downloading the latest satellite data via an Internet connection.

Just connect your TomTom device to your computer and TomTom HOME automatically downloads ‘QuickGPSfix’ – a special GPS data file that helps your TomTom GO910/710/510 and TomTom ONE fix your position quicker, even when the GPS signal is weak or partially blocked.

This unique free service - which comes as standard with the GO910, GO710, GO510 and ONE New Edition - helps you fix your position and get navigating faster than ever.

QuickGPSfix data has limited validity. So to keep on getting a faster position-fix, re-connect your device at least once a week.

How does it work?

Starting up can seem like a slow business, particularly if you’re in a hurry, because the GPS receiver needs to know exactly where each GPS satellite is to calculate your location. But satellites only broadcast their positions once every 30 seconds. So if any of their signals are interrupted, for example by passing high buildings, the whole position-fixing process has to repeat itself again and again until the perfect fix is achieved.

QuickGPSfix takes a smarter approach. The compatible TomTom devices (see above) use specially configured, high-sensitivity GPS chipsets and a sophisticated set of algorithms to predict satellite locations. All relevant data is captured in the tiny, easy-to-download ‘QuickGPSfix’data file.

On the road or no access to TomTom HOME?

Get the same ‘QuickGPSfix’ data by simply connecting to any TomTom PLUS service, using a wireless data connection (GO 910, 710 and 510 only). As soon as a connection is established, the ‘QuickGPSfix’ data is automatically updated.

Note: To minimise the amount of data sent over your wireless data connection, this automatic update is only carried out if the data on your device is over 5 days old.

To disable this automatic update, just select ‘Disable Auto QuickGPSfix’ on your TomTom device.
rfselec
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear it's not uncommon. I have noticed upwards of 5 minutes with greyed-out screen befort my ONE finally locks on to the GPS signals. It was 5-10 secs everytime on V6.25 software. Personally, I think this is a mistake to automatically include this in the 6.56 software upgrade - having it as an option would be better for those without regular PC / Bluetooth phone access.

(sorry folks, I STILL don't have a phone which does anything other than make calls!!!)

With ref. to last post "Disable Auto QuickGPSfix" - this is not a menu option on the ONE, any other suggestions would be very welcome.
Thanks for all your replies, Rick
Scotty-uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found something (I think) and told TomTom but they deny is should have any effect.

Perhaps you guys can try it and let me know.

When I've got an out of data quickgpxfix and and it takes a long time, I go to the screen to show the actual sattelites. For some reason I've found that by doing this it aquires positiion within about 10-15secs. If I leave it then it can take minutes.

Please try it and let me know how you get on.
jzerocsk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfselec wrote:
(sorry folks, I STILL don't have a phone which does anything other than make calls!!!)

No matter - The ONE can't update QuickGPSFix files via bluetooth anyway.
rfselec
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, do I take it then, that the GPS Quick Fix data can ONLY be updated via a PC connection?

If this is the case, then I think this is a huge cock-up by TOMTOM, since a lot of users do not have regular (if any) access to a PC.

If anyone can please confirm that the PC route is the ONLY way to update GPS Quick-Fix data, then I will submit a very strong e-mail to tomtom about this (not that this will do much judging by previous posts), but as they say, dont complain if your'e not prepared to act!. I'll do my bit.

Awaiting any other responses......................
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfselec wrote:
So, do I take it then, that the GPS Quick Fix data can ONLY be updated via a PC connection?

If this is the case, then I think this is a huge cock-up by TOMTOM, since a lot of users do not have regular (if any) access to a PC.

If anyone can please confirm that the PC route is the ONLY way to update GPS Quick-Fix data, then I will submit a very strong e-mail to tomtom about this (not that this will do much judging by previous posts), but as they say, dont complain if your'e not prepared to act!. I'll do my bit.

Awaiting any other responses......................

Yes, it is the only way
rfselec
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Many thanks. I'll have a moan at TOMTOM ......................
carriejames
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty-uk wrote:
I found something (I think) and told TomTom but they deny is should have any effect.

When I've got an out of data quickgpxfix and and it takes a long time, I go to the screen to show the actual sattelites. For some reason I've found that by doing this it aquires positiion within about 10-15secs. If I leave it then it can take minutes.

Please try it and let me know how you get on.

Hi
I too have tried this option and it seems quicker, but whether it really works or not I don't know - it just might be that as you are doing something it seems a shorter time to wait - just like pressing the 'doors close' button in lifts - everyone knows this is just a joke button put in their by lift manufacturers to keep the public happy and thinking they are in control!

Carrie
rfselec
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fair point about "perception of time", especially when your'e in a rush. However, this is definately not the problem here.
I have timed my ONE at up to 7 minutes, and my 2 colleagues have noted over 5 minutes with greyed-out screen. ALL units were under 10 seconds to get a GPS fix before upgrading to this silly version, and I doubt very much we have 3 faulty units.

As i said, immediately after a GPS Quick-Fix download, the units are quick enough, but if you leave it a week or so without update, then the problems really start.

I may try to downgrade to the older software version, but I'm sure I saw on another post that this can be problematic?. I'll give it a whirl and see how we go.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: