Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SatNav Design and Usability
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SatNav Design and Usability
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:

My main concerns are:
Windsheild mount in an accident. I doubt it would pass any NCAP safety test (And would dearly love to see a video of one).

I had a chat with Harald Richter at CeBIT, and while I can't show the videos here I have seen them, and I can confirm that HR are doing these crash tests now, and are also changing some of their holder designs based on the results of the crash tests. Pretty impressive.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest gripe is conflicting instructions and ones which are obviously incorrect - too many exits from roundabouts etc. A gem with Tom Tom Navigator 6 is heading anti-clockwise on M25 towards either the A21 or M26 when it produces conflicting and wrong information.

Having said that, not needing to consult a road atlas makes long journies across Europe very easy and much safer if you are the only person in the car.
genghisackroyd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
reader wrote:
I cannot I understand why anybody would want to place their sat nav on the drivers window!

That's why I use the Brodit mount system. My SatNav units are securely placed on the dashboard well away from the windscreen but in line with my vehicle's instruments.

Regards,

Exactly - my response to mount has been succesfully answered with one piece of kit - A Brodit amplified mount (brilliant if only the adhesive

A further improvement would be to mount it in the corner (A pillar) next to the mirror.

THanks

PDA Current: iPAQ hx4700 + Co-Pilot Live/TomTom 2, 3 & 5 + Fortuna Clip-On + 512Mb Ultra ii SD + 256Mb SD + Brodit Active Mount

PDA History: iPAQs (2210 <-- 3970) <-- Palms (M515 <-- M505)
jeffbt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a windsceen mount for my pda based tomtom but I could not use it in my car as I am fairly short, 5"4' and I couldn't see over it! I now use a brodit vent mount which is much more solid as well.
Regarding the voice prompts sometimes when approaching complicated junctions a glance at the map is much more informative.
jkljkl6
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: something for next Software upgrade? Reply with quote

Hope about an avoid "type X" POIs? so you could avoid low bridges or other such things like work locations when you're supposed to be off sick (only joking). Or equally travel via "type X" POIs so you could pass by tourist attractions on your way to somewhere if you're in no rush. I'm sure there's others there that would help safety.
Some other PNDs may have this but I'm on a Tomtom Go 500 so I've been wishing for this functionality since I got it. That and being able to enter loads of diferent locations and leave it up to the device to work out the best route around them all.
The Rudd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Garmin Nuvi 360 T is in the same position as what the pilot 310 was fitted, on the drivers side of the windscreen just above the dashboard and by the 'A' pillar. Much easier to see and not distracting. Halfords who fitted it said that this was the best position.
george57l
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One software option that would make a huge difference is a font size option - especially for the data in the bottom panel of my TTGO500. Those of us who use reading glasses need to be able to increase font size substantially to be able to read speed, time to destination, distance etc.

I also find it takes too much effort to avoid somewhere (when I hear road ahead is blocked) - and the roadblock function is just too dumb. (If there is a roadblock - guess what? The roads in the vicinity will also be too busy in many cases.) This happened on Friday - travelling up A31 towards Guildford (and beyond) I knew it was blocked with a couple of miles tailback from A31 and on to A3 - but the roadblock function just tries to find the shortest route round what it 'assumes' is a 'single point' blockage in 1 mile or whatever. So what I needed was to avoid Guildford with a radius of say 5 miles and then let it find a new route to my destination. I say all this because these are exactly the circumstances in which I suspect many of us become most dangerous - trying to "fix" the route while driving.

George
george57l
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re my last post - I guess I didn't read (or think about it) it properly before submitting - I didn't quite say what meant to. I know there is an 'avoid part of route' function - but unless I'm missing something it is not possible to simply say by how much you want to avoid it (eg radius 5 miles) When the RDS announcements tell you there is a 1, or 5, or 10 mile tailback for example, this would be very useful, without having to specify every part of the previously calculated route that may be impacted - and this is of course where human intuition or experience (how much of the surrounding area will actually be gridlocked or very slowed down?) comes to the fore.

Hey-ho

George
oldfogy
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A Brodit amplified mount

Can someone please enlighten me as to what is a A Brodit amplified mount and any link to one would be appreciated.

Thanks, of for a search now..

Found it.
Quote:
starting at £60.00 and then having to add a ProClip at £17.00 the cost is double some of the competition.

Think I will give it a miss though.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.brodit.com They have a range of cradles to suit PDA's. One option with these cradles is to have an amplified speaker as part of the cradle.
oldfogy
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren.

But I don't think that's for me. (not at the moment any-way)
Virtually the only place to install one of those types would be on my air vent covers, and as I like my heat, then I don't think cooking it would do it any good. Plus I don't really think the weight of a TT One would do the grill any good, but thanks any way.

Nice site etc, shame you can't access any prices without registering.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: