Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ontrak Position Tracking Device review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ontrak Position Tracking Device review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Ontrak Position Tracking Device review Reply with quote

Got an expensive car or other “mobile” asset you don’t want to lose? Well to lose a car is careless, but in this day and age theft is a major threat. One gadget to consider is the GPS tracker device made by OnTrak.

Mike Alder has got his tool kit out and has wired up the Ontrak PTD to his car. Click here to read the review.
iwondery
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my car is stolen and this ontrak device simply gives me the latitude & longitude, it may take some time to reverse geo-code them to real location (as in address). Suppose I'm out in the rural area, how can I find internet connection within such a short time ? By the time, my car would have already been stripped to the core !
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you need an internet connection? Take a laptop with Autoroute on it, put the coordinates in and 'bingo'.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the device also informs you of the distance/ bearing to the nearest motorway junction in the SMS, this can be used to very quickly home in on the rough location, if you have TomTom on the PDA or have a pod type device you can enter the lat/ long in directly.

I appreciate your point about being able to see the tracker location on a map, it can be done via the internet with this device, but I am not too sure (yet) about displaying position on a PDA/ phone in the same way - Mike
coastersteve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I work on the design team for the On-Trak unit and we take you comments about the long and lat onboard, however licencing map data is not cheap, not cheap at all. We have looked at reverse geocoding services where we issue a long and lat to them and they return an XML response containing the a full street address. Multimap do have a service like this - but it is quite a price.

We used motorway junctions because we feel they're more meaningful than towns, for eg do you know where Bedworth is? (WITHOUT CHEATING!) but if it said your car 2 miles north of jnc3 of the M6 you would instantly have a good idea where that is as most people know where the motorway systems run so we used that.

You can enter the long and lat at our website and it'll return back a map, using google maps where you can see where your car is.

At the Pocketgpsworld show we'll be demostrating a more "live" version :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: