Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Shot by a Sniper? Camouflaged Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Shot by a Sniper? Camouflaged Cameras
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you agree with hiding fixed speed cameras?
Yes
2%
 2%  [ 9 ]
No
95%
 95%  [ 288 ]
Not sure
1%
 1%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 303

acmp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomthompson wrote:
snip...

So did the camera do its job and slow the merc down or did it cause an accident by its half hidden placement

I agree that cameras at school site and hospitals are a good idea but out of the 8000 cameras on the database how many are sited in those situations
CoPilot

Good point.

I think this debate is clouded by what are regarded as 'bad cameras', those that appear to be placed more for revenue than safety.

(just to be awkward if this camera was hidden it may have prevented an accident and fined two 'bad' drivers)

Still I see the need to praise 'good cameras' and make our voices heard against 'bad cameras'. But just because you don't know why a camera is sited in a particular location doesn't make it bad. There's some specs cameras a few yards from my house. Every day for the last 6 years (as long as I've lived here) I have heard the horns and tyre squeals as people pull out in front of speeding motorists. since the specs cameras have gone up there are less horns and squeals. The idiots still pull out, but the other idiots have more time to sort it out.

drive safely Wink

acmp
jazzyj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, all cameras of any type are just used to take more hard earned cash from the pockets of us.
we are more focus'd on the curbs than where we should be looking .
obviously , schools etc are a major no no for any sort of speeding thoe,
but as for motor ways , the 70 mph limit was set years ago, when cars etc could hardl'y reach them speeds.
with new breaking technology etc , i think its about time the laws were changed.

some rearly usefull sites:-

www.nationalsafetycameras.co.uk/

www.speedcheck.co.uk/installations.htm ( specs )

a few cameras from walthamstow to charlie browns roundabout have been changed to digital !!

theres a new camera in hackney i was told of,

Wink

j
Johnny_D
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think that using Databases like the one available
here have a twofold advantage.

1. It should stop the panic braking at the site of anything yellow
on a stick.

2. It should reduce accidents as you get the nice little plinky sound suggesting that there are safety cameras around!

My own personal points were from Scamera vans parked up in
places where i was not so aware as i should have been
(On holiday (1) and in london (2)).

Better signage showing the speed limits would also be helpfull.
As someone who drives around the SE of england (North Essex to Portsmouth and most places in between) I find my single biggest enemy is that of the unknown roads and unknown limits.

I know it's my responsibility to know the speed limits. But how many times have i been in a 40 doing 30 (not knowing the *actual* limit) and having Mr BMW so far up my back side that i feel like i'm having an enema? Countless Sad

Rant over! Apologies.

JD
Bloody Superb PGPSW Camera Database.
Not much else!
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny_D wrote:
Rant over! Apologies.

Rant acknowledged and accepted; no apologies necessary. Nice post Johnny - welcome to the forums :D
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some extracts from an article from the Institute of Advanced Motorists magazine about speed cameras.

"Under new government road safety strategy, safety cameras will no longer be regarded as the easy option for reducing road casulaties."

"A new fund of £110 million will be available (compared with the £93 million currently spent by camera partnerships) for a range of collision reduction strategies. All local authorities will be required to review their A & B road speed limits by 2011. The rules for siting cameras are being revised to allow greater flexibility in positioning camreas. Under the new advice camera signs should be placed alongside speed limit signs wherever possible and the sign and the camera should be visible to the driver in the same view"

This is saying something different than the information being banded about that cameras are being painted to camoughflage and hide them.
Rodonn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since its a big, Bright yellow box, why don't they Stencil the Limit on the back of the damned thing. Or rivet/epoxy a disc sign to the back of it?
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodonn wrote:
since its a big, Bright yellow box, why don't they Stencil the Limit on the back of the damned thing. Or rivet/epoxy a disc sign to the back of it?

Well because then people would know what speed they are supposed to be doing past it and they wouldn't make any money.
Crad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The argument for hiding speed cameras is simple: if you don’t know where they are then you will simply drive everywhere below the speed limit. The logic is so simple, how could it possibly fail? It’s not like there’s been police cars out on the roads, that people did not know the location of, and it didn’t slow traffic down.

You point is, like it or not you can’t legislate against human nature. Some people need excitement in their lives, while others are content to live hum-drum. The basic adrenaline junky will want to take risks. Hide the cameras and they will simply risk it until their points are up. If you put up big bright yellow signs where there is a REAL risk you will get even the hottest head to slow down.

If speed cameras are really about safety then the answer is clear.
thenudehamster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of those wonderful 'I sort of agree, but I also sort of disgaree' situations. With increasing age, I have finally begun to actually grow up and realise that driving fast is not in itself a sign of great skill or macho maturity; if anything, it is a sign of immaturity when it's simply done because you can.

Speed limits are there for a reason; cameras are there in theory for similar reasons; both have examples of inappropriate applications but as is so often the case, the law is the law. If you don't agree with the law, then start a protest group or petition your MP to get it changed; just because you don't like the law doesn't give you the right to flout it because you're unhappy with it.

When I took Advanced Riding, and Defensive Driving courses many years ago, we used the police 'Roadcraft' manuals as the basis of instruction. On of the preambles which stuck in my mind is that 'the most effective method of traffic control is the easily distinguishable police patrol car...' (and apologies to HMSO if the quote isn't word for word, but the gist is there); if the government really believe that to be the case, why would they consider hiding cameras?
Much as in many US cities and states, a hidden patrol car just makes money, because nobody knows it's there. (I know the favourite hiding place of the local cruiser near my US home, but there's plenty who don't....) even though a prominent one will produce a more effective reduction in traffic speeds.
It's a similar situation with cameras - show them and people will take notice of them, hide them, and you have another simple moneymaker. If the government were really serious about the safety side of things, then EVERY sign warning of a camera would have a yellow backed box on a pole near it - even if the box had nothing in it! People slow down if they know there's a camera around and speed up when they've passed it. The A3 approaching Chessington and Hinchley Wood is a classic case in point; from the national (70mph) section which they've played in for about eight or nine miles from the M25, you see the sequential braking to 50 (after passing the 50 sign) for the camera, then they all accelerate back to 65mph 30 yards past it. Now if all the subsequent signs and markings had a yellow box near them, you'd actually bring the overall speed of traffic closer to the limit and achieve the stated aim. As it is, all it achieves is a rolling jam in the rush hour.

Do I speed? I try not to is as honest as I can get. As I've said elsewhere, I found many years ago that it doesn't save as much as it seems, and it can cause much more grief if it goes wrong.

Is it wrong to place cameras in true blackspots? Of course not; where people, whoever they may be, have caused serious and frequent accidents, then finding out who they are by any reasonable means is a laudable aim. However, finding that in doing so you can make a lot of money from people basically doing nothing much wrong, is reprehensible at least, and probably dishonest as well - but whoever expected honesty of politicians?
At least police officers can make reasoned decisions based on circumstances; doing 45 mph on the outskirts of an industrial area at 2am is a lot less unsafe than than 30 past a school gate at start time. The former might get you a ticking off from a copper although it's guaranteed to get you a ticket from a camera; the latter would probably get you a 'without due care' summons from the copper, but is ignored by the camera - where's the logic?

What it needs is for all cameras to be located in places where they are perceived by the public to be needed - although the case of the villager in Lincolnshire who made his own fake Gatso tends to belie that one. Publish the data and site the camera; if the local authority can't back up the siting with real, verifiable data, then they should be forced to remove the damn thing. Safety devices are NOT there to make money - many times it's been said that safety doesn't come cheap - but when they're using the veneer of safety to justify an iniquitous method of raising money, it's despicable.
If they want to make money out of cameras, let them tell us that's what they're doing: "Slagthorpe District Council will be placing a speed detection camera somewhere on the Mudbury Road within the next week in an effort to catch speeding motorists." - would you have a problem with that? - I wouldn't. However, tell me they placed it there to prevent accidents, then treat it as a revenue generator is dishonest and will make me untrustful of anything the Council tells me from there on in...
GrahamWager
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acmp wrote:
But what about people leaving the pub? is it ok to run them over as they step into the road?

Of course not, but is it okay for them to leave the pub after having 6 pints, get in their car, and so long as they can manage to keep it under 30 get away with it? We don't need more cameras, we need more police.
xdoerksenx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Bizarre... Reply with quote

Having spent most of my life in Sweden where we don't even have cctv this whole thing seems really odd to me.
Shouldnt cameras be used for safety?? Not just as cash-cows for the government?
dazpad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed? The most effective speed reduction cameras appear to be the SPECS cameras that you tend to find on motorway roadworks.
Knowing that your average speed is being recorded along the whole stretch of road seems to slow down even the most beligerent fastards; so why do our government still use fixed cameras? Money raising, pure and simple.
Incidently, in my home borough of Tameside, we have the Watchman system of cameras that are paired with a flashing speed warning sign. Are they effective? reasonably, but people still speed up after they have passed them.
Regarding hidden cameras, if I am driving along a road with my attention focused on my speedo instead of the road, i am more likely to have an accident negeting the very existence of the camera.. I don't care what anyone says, maintaining a speed within the speed limit is very difficult because many other road users want you to go faster, and demonstrate this by driving dangerously close in their attempt to move you out of their busy way! Why isn't there a camera that detects tailgaiters?
For road safety outside schools etc. Why isnt the road modified so that it is physically uncomfortable to travel faster than the speed limit? I don't mean roadhumps, they're not very effective, the local boy racers still race past my house at 30+ because it is fun for them to 'ramp' their uninsured heaps. Possibly some surface patterning or undulating surface that will shake your car so badly if you travel any faster than the 20 mph?
BTW, does anyone think that the advent of SatNav has contributed anything to road safety?
apogee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Speed cameras at schools Reply with quote

Terrible idea

The main focus of any drivers attention at a school should be school children, not speed limits.

Safespeed.org did a survey a little while ago and found most drivers take around 1 second to look at and register speed, on average they looked at the speedo 3 times (if memory serves me correctly) while passing a camera and also spend a lot of time looking at the camera and for a speed limit sign.

That's an awful lot of distance covered with NO attention paid to the road. I'd suggest suitable speed warning signs at each side and no parking areas around the entrance to allow good clear visibility, but that wouldn't raise any money would it?

I also believe the institute of advanced motorists confirmed they do not recommend cameras around schools.
JulianH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Curved Lines on the road Reply with quote

Has anyone else noticed that a large number of cameras have lines which suggest that the laws of physics don't apply. The lines very often follow the curve of the road and I always thought, and was taught, that light travels in straight lines! So how do people who have been caught at cameras with curved lines stand? The speed may, or may not, be right and the distance measurement could be affected by the curve. This says that the camera has been intalled for only one reason - MONEY! It also suggests that local council's don't know about the properties of light.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed cameras at schools Reply with quote

apogee wrote:

Safespeed.org did a survey a little while ago and found most drivers take around 1 second to look at and register speed, on average they looked at the speedo 3 times (if memory serves me correctly) while passing a camera and also spend a lot of time looking at the camera and for a speed limit sign.

Why don't people know what the speed limit is ? I can't fathom out why the anti-camera lobby go on about cameras being dangerous because they cause people to take their eye off the road. If folk were driving sensibly in the first place, they would know what speed they were doing, instead of having to be reminded by a camera.

Perhaps we should make it compulsory for pedestrians to wear fluorescent jackets to make THEM more visible. Rolling Eyes

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: