Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 6 & UK TMC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 6 & UK TMC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichDem
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Navigon 6 & UK TMC Reply with quote

Is anyone out there using Navigon 6 & TMC in the UK? Was wondering how well it works, I currently have a Loox C550 & GNS TMC receiver and I am considering buying Navigon 6.

Cheers

Richard
molchew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does not work for me, Milton Keynes are.
crippit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recieved an E-mail from Navigon after I challenged them regarding this and my Loox N100. They do not support TMC in the UK. They do plan to support it, but they cannot say when, and they cannot say if you will have to pay for the update to support it.

Hope this helps.
jase_31
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some email from Navion, claim that TMC is not suported in the UK - Others claims that it is?

[quote] Will the TMC continue to function in the UK as I find it invaluable on MN4?
Quote:
We made sure that the TMC in the UK is receivable
[quote]

Navigon are close to 12 months late, releasing this, and then bundle old maps, and questionable tmc support. Perhaps I should ditch navigon and go to tomtom with gprs traffic? or destinator trafficsam
Rafiki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D

TMc works in UK!!

I have recieved my replacement PNA MN6 ts7000 last week and it supports TMC in Germany, Holland, Belgium, France and UK!..... I know as I travelled all these countries last friday!...... I got off the Chunnel tunnel and set my setting to recieve all reports instead of only on route and I got about 78 tmc reports in the south of England ( time was 15.30 pm to 16.00 pm.
I then drove to Manchester the next day and got fewer reports , I was re routed near ther Brimingham area ( So tmc works ) .
I got less reports on the way to Manchester between Birmingham to Manchester .( reception was maybe poorer )

A point to note long as I remained at about 100 km per hour tmc was Ok when I drove at 200 km per hour ( you are allowed on some motorways no limit in Germany! Laughing Twisted Evil ) the tmc triangle turned to red .

Only problem was a couple of times when a mobile speed camera was detected on route as as I passed it the PNA crashed Sad .

regards to all

Rafiki
jase_31
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think (maybe) that TMC is supported on the PNA version but not the PDA.

MN6 was suppose to support TMC (RDS Trafficmaster)

From the Navigon Website:

Mention of TMC on product page. Link to TMC infom but no info on countries.

https://www.navigon.com/site/uk/en/shop/consumer/bundlelist/898

Link to download addon for TMC.

How does this differ from a PDA?
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the info, Rafiki! Good to hear that Navigon are making some sort of progress (though it still very much sounds like MN6 is not really ready). Anyway did Navigon reveal to you what they have done to get TMC working in the UK... is it the MN6 software (are you running a "patched" version, perhaps?), the PNA firmware or the PNA hardware?

--

Cheers,

Dave
jase_31
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still think this is a PNA/PDA issue. I have tried MN6 - No TMC at all, but works perfectly with Destinator 6 Trafficsam.

http://www.firstloox.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7568&page=2

Any response from Navigon is NOT informative, and in poor English (Yes I know they are a German company, but surely they have someone who can understand the problem!

for instance, emails from Navigon include

Thank you for your request.

There is no definite release day yet for this feature. If we make this feature available, you will probably be able to purchase it.

With kind regards

or to another enquiry......

We are really sorry that you are finding problems with our product.
Concerning the TMC channels Navigon is in contact with the British governement to find a solution for this issue.
In the UK you have to pay for TMC on the motorway.
That means that in some place you will be available to receive it and in some not for now. We are working on that.
For the moment we offer you the posibbility to buy on our website a software modul to use TMC and to renew the speedcameras.
Go check on our site: www.navigon.com.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to this page on the Navigon site:

https://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/shop/consumer/bundlelist/959

... you'll see that they make reference to a "Premium TMC for France and UK" for the TS7000T unit. Now I thought the TMC service in France was free but, either way, Navigon have clearly recognised that while their "standard" TMC implementation won't work in the UK, they have now catered for that. So presumably TMC should work in the UK. I guess this "premium" package is what Rafiki has been sent...? As Jase says, though, there's no mention of this "premium" version for other units, so perhaps it actually comes down to a hardware or firmware alteration in the 7000 unit itself...?

--

Cheers

Dave
jase_31
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely it is not difficult for Navigon to provide an answer. Yet they seem unable to do so!!!

The must have the licensing issue with TMC resolved (as it is offered on PNA systems) - So why doesnt it work on the PDA?

The FAQ doesnt help.

Quote:
With NAVIGON you can receive TMC signals in all countries with a nationwide free TMC service. In countries in which the requirement of a fee prevails, we at NAVIGON bear the expenses of this service in selected areas in order to ensure an extensive TMC coverage, and pass this service on to our customers. Currently NAVIGON supports free TMC services in the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

So they list where "free TMC" is avaliable, but NOT premium TMC? Yet at the same time, they say they bear the cost of premium tmc, and we know they have an agreement with TrafficMaster.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jase_31 wrote:

Yet at the same time, they say they bear the cost of premium tmc

Presumably meaning France and the UK...

... And to confude matters even further, the UK concessionaire, Talex, states that "The TMC data is picked up over the radio waves and is completely free of charge."

jase_31 wrote:

and we know they have an agreement with TrafficMaster.

*Do* we know this? I can't recall having read anything that explicitly states that they use TrafficMaster....?

As I've been unable to elicit any form of e-mail/written clarification from Talex on this issue (they were very responsive, helpful and friendly until they actually got the first units into stock!), I've contacted another UK retailer stating that I will purchase a TS7000t from them provided they can confirm TMC does work on the units they have in stock. From what Rafiki said earlier, Navigon seem to have applied some sort of fix but the problem now is whether retailers have cleared their shelves of the old "broken" versions. Awaiting a response...

--

Cheers,

Dave
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveMatthews wrote:
Presumably meaning France and the UK...

Yes, in France and some other countries they have a choice of free data on some major roads or premium third party data which has greater coverage provided by Michelin. Here of course we have only premium pay services.
Quote:
... And to confude matters even further, the UK concessionaire, Talex, states that "The TMC data is picked up over the radio waves and is completely free of charge."
They are right to an extent. RDS-FM requires a licence fee but the manufacturer pays that. In this case Navigon pay the licence fee and the cost is bundled into the unit.
jase_31 wrote:

and we know they have an agreement with TrafficMaster.
Quote:
*Do* we know this? I can't recall having read anything that explicitly states that they use TrafficMaster....?

Yes, Navigon use RAC-TrafficMaster for their RDS-FM TMC supply.
Quote:
As I've been unable to elicit any form of e-mail/written clarification from Talex on this issue (they were very responsive, helpful and friendly until they actually got the first units into stock!), I've contacted another UK retailer stating that I will purchase a TS7000t from them provided they can confirm TMC does work on the units they have in stock. From what Rafiki said earlier, Navigon seem to have applied some sort of fix but the problem now is whether retailers have cleared their shelves of the old "broken" versions. Awaiting a response...

I have the 7000T on review and it has TMC over FM. However like TomTom and Garmin is suffers from poor reception with many huge black spots. No coverage on M3, M4 Reading to London, M40 as far as Birmingham etc! Not very impressive but that is an issue with TMC in the UK rather than the fault of Navigon.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarifications, Darren.

Re the reception "holes", I assume you're NOT using you car radio antenna (with a Y-splitter) ?

--

Cheers

Dave
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveMatthews wrote:

Re the reception "holes", I assume you're NOT using you car radio antenna (with a Y-splitter) ?

No I'm not but it's fair to say from other experiments that doing so would vastly improve matters. The limitations of reviewing make doing so impractical unfortunately Sad
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
DaveMatthews wrote:

No I'm not but it's fair to say from other experiments that doing so would vastly improve matters. The limitations of reviewing make doing so impractical unfortunately Sad

Actually given that Navigon have now switched to TrafficMaster, which I gather is available from many FM stations (rather than being limited to Classic FM, as the iTIS system is), I'm quite surprised that you're struggling to pick up signals over such a wide area!?!

--

Cheers

Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: