Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Navigator European Maps (Mobile 5) Confusion!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Navigator European Maps (Mobile 5) Confusion!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durotriges
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: TomTom Navigator European Maps (Mobile 5) Confusion! Reply with quote

Hello

I'm just getting to grips with all this, so apologies if I'm overlooking something obvious.

I have an iPaq H2210 and TomTom Navigator 5 maps (with Mobile 5 written on the map CD box).

First of all, with just the UK map installed (the full - I think 199Mb -option), whilst playing around with the program in Advanced Planning I discovered it also showed the major roads in Europe. Is this correct with just having the UK map installed? I was able to see roads even as far as Poland, which I was under the impression were not included in my European maps (it certainly isn't mentioned on any of the CDS).

I've just installed nearly all the European maps (couldn't fit Italy on!), using the full Plus option for each map. When I went back into TomTom to check the maps I still only had the same main route detail for mainland Europe that I had with the standard UK installation. I could only get more detail on the European maps by going into the change map option in TomTom and selecting, for example, France. Now this makes sense I suppose, but how would I do advanced planning for a trip across Europe if I can't select at street level in another country without stopping and swapping maps? I was under the impression that you could have seamless navigation across borders with the European maps.

I'm sure I've overlooked something, but as far as I understand the program now, I'll have to stop and swap maps for anything that involves crossing a border, including with advanced planning. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks very much,

Mike.
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is actually correct. Seamless border crossing from one country to another without switching maps is not available in TT5.

Howard
Active Synch 4.5
MohairSofa Calendar+Today Plug-in Ver.2.5.2
Softwinter Storage Tools Ver.2.0 ppc 420
Pocket Informant 9.01 build2390
Sprite Back up Ver 6.5.4 build 16
Durotriges
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That solves that mystery then! Thanks for that! Laughing

Mike
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only really need the PLUS maps for the counties you will be visiting.

e.g. If you are travelling to Italy, select the Italy plus map. Before leaving home, enter your destination and this will direct you over the Major Roads of Europe through GB, and other countries on route, to the Italian border where you will have street level without changing maps.

On your return just select Navigate to Home and you'll be at street level through Italy to the border and then onto MRE back home. Don't let Major Roads fool you, there are many other roads included.

(When you set your Home location on the Italy map you may find you have to choose a point a short distance away, unless your road is included as a major road).

You don't really need the GB Plus map, just GB will do for home here, that will save some space on your card. Also if there are any countries you don't plan to visit, just uninstall the maps to free up even more space.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
counties
Typo, I meant to write COUNTRIES. Embarassed
Durotriges
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh I see what you mean! :D

So, basically I load the full map of the destination country to get the street-level details I need, then rely on the default-included 'major routes' of the rest of Europe that will be present anyway - in the same way that I get the rest of Europe in lesser detail when I have the GB map loaded.

Actually I've just noticed that my Germany/Austria/Switzerland maps appear to include the Czech Republic and Poland, according to the name of the file on my SD card. That wasn't mentioned in the details! Quite handy really because I was after Poland maps for a forthcoming trip!

I don't really need all the maps installed on the SD card, but I thought it was a good idea, just to save loading some at a later date. I'll probably uninstall a couple more of the maps to gain some space on the card for POI databases etc.

Mike
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
in the same way that I get the rest of Europe in lesser detail when I have the GB map loaded.
Yes, that's right.

By installing all the PLUS maps you are getting the MRE several times over.

What you could do is copy all the Plus maps from your Card to a folder on your computer e,g, My Documents and add a folder named Map Backup, or something similar. (Remember to tick Show hidden files and folders by selecting My Computer - Tools - Folder Options - View, to make sure you see and copy ALL files).

Should you need one of Plus maps at a later date, you can insert your SD Card into a Card Reader, the best and quickest way to transfer, and copy and paste that map to your card.

As an example, if you were travelling to France, where you needed street level and then on to Spain, where you also needed street level. It would be best to have both the France and Spain Plus maps.

To travel to France use the France Plus map. Before leaving for Spain select the Spain Plus maps which you could then use for your journey back home.
Durotriges
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. It's all becoming clear now! Laughing

So what constitutes the 'Plus' part of the Plus maps? I just installed the Plus option for each map because I thought I would be missing out on some details. Apologies if I have misunderstood what you have said, but is the Plus part simply the MRE attached to the full street level of whatever country I'm referring to? Is a non-Plus map of a country still including full street-level mapping?

If that's the case then surely I only need the Plus maps of one country (to get the MRE), then the non-Plus options of all the rest.

If I understand this correctly it looks as if I might have to uninstall most of my maps and choose the non-Plus options to re-install!

Mike

:D
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
is the Plus part simply the MRE attached to the full street level of whatever country I'm referring to? Is a non-Plus map of a country still including full street-level mapping?

That's right. You're getting there.

Quote:
If that's the case then surely I only need the Plus maps of one country (to get the MRE), then the non-Plus options of all the rest.

Well yes, but if for example you used the GB Plus map and the rest non Plus, you could still navigate to your destination e.g. France, but you would have to switch to the France map, to get street level, just before entering France.

But by having the GB (non Plus) and the France Plus and using France Plus from Home or back home, you in effect get a seamless route to your destination, and of course you would have an ETA and countdown of miles left to travel to your destination.

If you were using the GB Plus and non Plus for other countries, imagine travelling to Italy. you'd have to keep switching maps every time you entered a new country. Not the end of the world but a bit of a pain, plus you would have no ETA or miles left to travel, except to the point where you are switching maps.

By using the Italy Plus map you'd get from Home to your destination in Italy without switching maps.
Durotriges
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again :D

Okay, I see what you mean. I've only got Navigator 5 though, without the seamless capability, so I presume that part of your advice doesn't apply.

I was messing about with Advance Planning and did a route from Calais to Wroclaw in Poland (733 miles I think). Surely that would still count down with an ETA whilst I was in France, then do a new ETA and count-down from wherever I swapped to the Poland map, once over the border, wouldn't it?

I was trying to do a route from home (Dorset), via the Channel Tunnel, but I wasn't sure how to do it. I presume I'd have to set the Channel Tunnel locations as a waypoint to get it to use that as a crossing point.

Mike
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Okay, I see what you mean. I've only got Navigator 5 though, without the seamless capability, so I presume that part of your advice doesn't apply.

I was messing about with Advance Planning and did a route from Calais to Wroclaw in Poland (733 miles I think). Surely that would still count down with an ETA whilst I was in France, then do a new ETA and count-down from wherever I swapped to the Poland map, once over the border, wouldn't it?

I was trying to do a route from home (Dorset), via the Channel Tunnel, but I wasn't sure how to do it. I presume I'd have to set the Channel Tunnel locations as a waypoint to get it to use that as a crossing point.

TTN5 is not really seamless but by using the Plus map of your final destination, you won't have to switch maps, so it will be like a seamless map.

You'd get the ETA to the next point you have to change maps. So ETA from Home to Channel Tunnel. ETA from Calais to the next border etc. Only on arrival at the polish border would you get the ETA to your final destination.

If you use for example the GB plus map and using Advanced Planning you set a route from Dorset to a destination in Poland, it will route you via the Channel Tunnel as default and on arrival in France direct you on the MRE to your destination. It's likely you won't have your final Street/Road destination as it's not Polish Street level.

The other way is to use the Plus map, which includes Street level Poland, Advance plan from your Home, which may be half a mile or more away, unless your road is one of the MRE. You will be guided across England via the Magic Roundabout (M25) then M26 onto M20 and off at J11a Channel Tunnel terminal. On entering France in will continue guiding you on the MRE across borders and then on to Street level when entering Poland.

Either way and you'll see you have in effect a seamless route and get an ETA of final destination.
Durotriges
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much! I nearly got confused there, but I see what you mean now! Laughing

I've deleted all my Plus maps, except for the UK one, and am currently installing all the non-Plus maps for the rest of Europe. I'll put the Plus one back on for Poland when I'm going to do the trip, to get the full route without map-swapping.

Mike
Durotriges
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I've just discovered that you don't necessarily get all the maps with the non-Plus version. With the non-Plus Iberia maps you don't get Portugal and with the non-Plus Germany/Austria maps you don't get the Czech Republic or Poland.

So, having deleted all my Plus maps I now have to put Iberia and Germany/Austria Plus back on to get the missing maps! God knows why they did it that way.

Mike

Rolling Eyes
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howarduk wrote
Quote:
That is actually correct. Seamless border crossing from one country to another without switching maps is not available in TT5.

The "Plus" maps allow seamless border crossings and, although only supposed to be major routes through other countries are actually quite detailed. Also you can get the seamless map of Western Europe for TTN5. I did and it worked fine. Have now upgraded to TTN6 using the same map. Laughing
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The "Plus" maps allow seamless border crossings and, although only supposed to be major routes through other countries are actually quite detailed.
I found that also, I assumed the GB plus map, when that's all I had, would only show the Autoroutes and N roads but found D roads also shown, and many other roads which I wouldn't class as major routes. I wonder what percentage of French roads on the GB Plus map, are classed as Major Routes, quite high I would imagine.

Quote:
So, having deleted all my Plus maps I now have to put Iberia and Germany/Austria Plus back on to get the missing maps! God knows why they did it that way.

Maybe because the coverage of those countries isn't close to the 99% coverage of other countries. Someone on here may know.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: