Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman support reply
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman support reply
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tony60
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in at the watchdog idea,Medion say there are no issues with the supplied antenna,I struggle to get a signal apart from te BBC stations which dont tranmit TMC info. A Mapllins antenna pus a 2.5mm jack plug gave me a 90% improvment with strong signals from both Classic FM & Galaxy and 50+ updates within seconds of turning the sat nav on.The cost of components was only £17,why the sat nav suppliers cant supply the correct antenna in the first place is beyond belief.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is two fold here.
Companies are just not supplying aerials which are reliable to get a good signal all the time.
Secondly I can't believe that in this country TMC is only broadcast on Classic FM, that just seems stupid to me as why can't other channels relay the same signal. Say all the BBC stations or something?
Being reliant on just one station seems a little odd, unless someone can explain the technical reason behind doing this?

Also I used to find that if I accidentally turned the Navman on without the T1 unit attached it would then take forever to tune into the TMC information.
I'm getting rid of my Navman because of the dire support from them and the unwillingness to accept problems (and down right rude replies from the Technical Support people).
ViaMichelin X980T here I come (in the last few days of checking they have provided 2 bug and enhancements for the software).
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm getting rid of my Navman because of the dire support from them and the unwillingness to accept problems (and down right rude replies from the Technical Support people).

I have to agree with that, i found it hard to believe when the support guy claimed that there is no issue with the T1 and not heard of any . So everyone on this forum that has had signal problems never tried support first, i find that hard to believe. Plus the many hundreds if not thousands off this forum with the same problem. Plus i found the support to be a bit offish whilst dealing with me.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navman need to get a grip and stop being so rude and fixing bugs by releasing new models.
Rumour has it there are two versions of the T1, but not sure how true that is. Also on the F models there is now a B1 or something like that.
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B1? Whats that
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look round on the website. It's something for the F or N range can't remember but to me it looks to be an enhanced T1 module.
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This (B2) It looks like a bluetooth addition for your phone plus the added benefit of T1. I bet it will still have the very same antenna and problem . Waits for feedback from users who have bought the device i
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it well be a week tomorrow that i sent my letter and still waiting for a reply . I wont hold my breath as i think that they take your money and thats your lot. I like my F20 but next time ill buy a brand that respects its customers, after all with out us there would be no Navman .

Ill give then another week to reply, but its not like i can do anything apart from open my gob, i just put it down to experience .
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in getting my Navman ready for my dad I remembered another bug that I reported to Navman which was never fixed.
If you have more than a certain number of POI they simply just don't show in the list to select. They are on the device, just no way to navigate to them.

Decided on a ViaMichelin x980T as a replacement and will report back what my experience is.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
Secondly I can't believe that in this country TMC is only broadcast on Classic FM, that just seems stupid to me as why can't other channels relay the same signal. Say all the BBC stations or something?
RDS-TMC is transmitted by more than just Classic FM within the UK, BUT your device is only licensed to work with data provided from iTIS.

iTIS use CLASSIC FM as the carrier frequency for coverage of the UK no other stations are involved.

They have competition from Traffic Master, who also provide an RDS-TMC data service in the UK - this uses different stations and transmitters and is used by Garmin devices to name but one - as your device is only rated to use the iTIS service it will only ever receive data from Classic FM channels - Mike
tony60
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you say dont hold your breath,my experience with medion has been no better. But thanks to this forum and a lot of messing about with varios antenna I have now managed to get close to 100% reliability from my TMC unit.
Can anyone tell me if they think that a stronger signal from the radio stations would improve matters,could we be barking up the wrong tree on this antenna problem.
Considering the high cost of these add ons,£100 plus postage,some answers would be nice.
malcolmb1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if they think that a stronger signal from the radio stations would improve matters,could we be barking up the wrong tree on this antenna problem.

IMHO - definitely, at the risk of repeating myself from earlier in the thread, I've got pretty great reception on the supplied antenna here in Holland and France was very good as well.
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We cant be barking up the wrong tree, cos navman know the signal and know its from one station, but the antenna is not suitable for the job in this country. Solution use a better antenna for the country you you intend to sell your product in. Now i have upgraded my antenna, my signal is 100%. So id say the limitations in this country fall on navman. To expect an infrastructure to be upgraded due to a inferior antenna is madness

They product test and know damn well the limitations of the antenna. So begs the question, did they go ahead and sell it regardless of problems ?

This is only speculation and my point of view
freedie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel I have to reply and say that I have a Medion Gopal 510T, cheap from Halfords!, with TMC which works perfectly well with supplied aerial coiled around the fixing bracket (for looks!). Can't understand what all the fuss is about. My unit cost a penny shy of £120 and no need for unsightly wires or extra aerials.
freedie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel I have to reply and say that I have a Medion Gopal 510T, cheap from Halfords!, with TMC which works perfectly well with supplied aerial coiled around the fixing bracket (for looks!). Can't understand what all the fuss is about. My unit cost a penny shy of £120 and no need for unsightly wires or extra aerials.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: