Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Review Comments Wintec WBT-100 Data logger
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Review Comments Wintec WBT-100 Data logger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Review Comments Wintec WBT-100 Data logger Reply with quote

GPS data logging has come a long way since the early days (remember the Deluo Blackbox ?) . Devices have become smaller, more sensitive, and show a longer battery life.

BuyGPSNow have asked us to review the Wintec WBT-100 Bluetooth GPS receiver. When I first heard that it can only record 12.000 data points I was disappointed. When will someone come up and challenge the 50.000 data points of the DeLorme Blue Logger ?

Anyhow, I gave the WBT-100 the benefit of the doubt, and I think it was worth it. Read on for the nitty gritty detail.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/wintec-data-logger.php

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The track log here also shows one of the weak points of the receiver.
The chipset tends to jump around quite a bit over time.

That's nothing at all to do with the chipset. It happens on all GPS receivers with any chipset. Try it on any GPS you like that has a serial output or full resolution display of position. Old Garmin devices used to have a feature to average out the differing position measurements over time to create a more accurate pinpointing of a location. When Selective Availability was on permanently this effect

This effect isn't always apparent on road navigation devices such as TomToms because they snap to the nearest road whenever possible and ignore small movements, but often if you look at the status screen which shows the lat/long, you will see the position is changing all the time even though the map view shows you are stationary.

I WISH TomTom would allow you to enter enable a "pedestrian mode" which disables all the snapping and would allow you to use the device more like a garmin (with a breadcrumbs trail, trackback and waypoint arrows).
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, let me be more precise. Compared to a SiRF III chipset the iTrax chipset has a consistently higher PDOP in stationary mode.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
dvint1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can set the wintec to have the compass stream come in thru the NMEA string rather than having to press the compass button everytime u want the compass stream, thus not interrupting the NMEA stream.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, but please keep in mind to calibrate the compass each time before you rely on it. The magnetic environment of the compass has a large influence on the accuracy.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
dvint1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 wintec WBT-100 devices now, but 1 of them is acting very badly in a pedestrian environment.

The first one we bought (last year) works perfectly in both pedestrian and vehicles.

The new one however seems to play catch up in pedestrian mode (works fine in vehicle).

I tested them by holding both and walking the same length of road. The first one had each point spaced out correctly in Google Earth. The second one shows the points in a tighter group then will have a point jump up to be next top the first, then it will drop behind and do the same thing again.

Good Wintec:

Bad Wintec:

Any ideas anyone? I dont seem to be getting an answer from wintec.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like static navigation is on on the bad one. What firmware are you running?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: