Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom 910 proof of warranty (dont lose yours)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom 910 proof of warranty (dont lose yours)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrstella
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Tomtom 910 proof of warranty (dont lose yours) Reply with quote

Hi

Has anyone else had this problem.

I have sent back my 910 for warranty repair, i have had it since it was launched in april 2006.

However i have mislaid the proof of purchase, but i have sent the proof of purchase (POP) in the past to tomtom to get a dock replaced.

Since sending it back one CS person said it was no problem without the POP but now that i am chasing it up as its been with them two weeks they are now saying not having it is now a problem and that they may not repair it at all.

I have pointed out to tomtom that the 910 is well within its warranty as its been launched for less than a year, but they are insisting on the POP not for warranty length but to proove its not stolen ??? Since when were tomtom the police.

Surely they cannot refuse a repair thats well within the warranty period ?

They have had the POP at least once previously and there has been 3 warranty claims all coming from the same person, same address etc etc.

Starting to bang my head against a brick wall now, need my 910 back as the garmin unit is doing my head in.

Any advice would be grateful, i have had a look through some consumer advise areas but not found anything yet.

Cheers

Peter
TVR
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought.

How did you buy it? Credit card? Then use your statement. This is suggested in the consumer rights act 2002 as sufficient evidence of purchase.

Give it a try.

Good luck.

Kindest regards,

Sygic for android in HD
Cameralert - pending

TomTom consigned to the bin, after 6 years loyal service.
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoP should not be required (although they DO insist on one which is stupid).

How about if you won it in a raffle or was given it as a present & the kind uncle does not want you to know how much he spent or has lost the receipt?
mrstella
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was paid for in cash at the local pcworld :x
entwood
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read here on your rights .. the argument should not be with Tom Tom . but from where you bought it.

Receipts are NOT required

http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sheets/page24700.html

Everyone should have a copy of this information.. it is invaluable and works a dream when presented to retail outlets.. along with the "Shall I call Trading Standards now or later" ... said nicely of course.

Smile
gray52
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sods law, ive got a receipt for my 910, its just been written off due to a smashed screen, and ive been refunded the full amount. now waiting for the new one xl to come out and mite get one of them.
madnlooney
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got mine brand new from ebay, still sealed and not even opened. They are telling me because it was brought from ebay they dont cover the warrenty
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madnlooney wrote:
i got mine brand new from ebay, still sealed and not even opened. They are telling me because it was brought from ebay they dont cover the warrenty

I sold a new one on ebay & his paypal receipt WAS accepted by TT as PoP.
madnlooney
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebinman wrote:
madnlooney wrote:

I sold a new one on ebay & his paypal receipt WAS accepted by TT as PoP.

Thats interesting to know thank you. at least i can say ive contacted people who have brought new ones off ebay have been accepted
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extract from my correspondence with my buyer:

Dear Mr
Please refer to our previous response without a proof of purchase you have no entitlement to an in-warranty repair.

If it's shipped without a POP , The repair centre willl quote you a repair fee.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Just to let you know that all went smoothly (and surprisingly quickly) with the TomTom, I have just received back the original unit and all seems to be ok again.
I did send a copy of the PayPal receipt but it looks like you were right, they only wanted to check I was the owner and that the unit was still under guarantee.

Thanks again for the help
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madnlooney wrote:

Why should Tom Tom or any other manufacturer cover the warranty ?

Buying from eBay can be no different than buying at a car boot sale or through an ad in a local paper. Although eBay has certain procedures in place to help with resolving disputes you may not have the same rights as when buying from a 'normal' retailer and it really doesn't matter whether the item is new or used essentially they are can all be treated as secondhand.

The advice that Martin Lewis gives on his Money Saving Expert website is as follows:
Use the increasingly common 'Buy It Now’ button, rather than a standard auction, to buy from a UK based trader on eBay, and you’ve all the same statutory rights as buying from a shop.A trader is someone who makes some or all of their living from regularly selling goods. Technically it’s up to the Court’s to decide but it’s usually pretty obvious.

Buy from a private individual and the law says “let the buyer beware”. Providing your purchase arrives ‘as described’ there’s little legal comeback (assuming you can trace them anyway) and the standard seven day internet cooling-off period usually doesn’t apply to auction purchases.
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:
madnlooney wrote:

Why should Tom Tom or any other manufacturer cover the warranty ?

Buying from eBay can be no different than buying at a car boot sale or through an ad in a local paper. Although eBay has certain procedures in place to help with resolving disputes you may not have the same rights as when buying from a 'normal' retailer and it really doesn't matter whether the item is new or used essentially they are can all be treated as secondhand.

The advice that Martin Lewis gives on his Money Saving Expert website is as follows:
Use the increasingly common 'Buy It Now’ button, rather than a standard auction, to buy from a UK based trader on eBay, and you’ve all the same statutory rights as buying from a shop.A trader is someone who makes some or all of their living from regularly selling goods. Technically it’s up to the Court’s to decide but it’s usually pretty obvious.

Buy from a private individual and the law says “let the buyer beware”. Providing your purchase arrives ‘as described’ there’s little legal comeback (assuming you can trace them anyway) and the standard seven day internet cooling-off period usually doesn’t apply to auction purchases.

Oh ye of little faith!

Not EVERYTHING sold on ebay is dodgy or from dodgy dealers!
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="thebinman
Oh ye of little faith!
Not EVERYTHING sold on ebay is dodgy or from dodgy dealers![/quote]

If you re-read my post you'll see that I never said that was the case.

In the context of this thread the poster madnlooney said 'They are telling me because it was brought from ebay they dont cover the warrenty (sic)' I was merely pointing out that buying from eBay often doesn't provide you with the same level of Consumer Protection than had the item been bought from a 'regular' retailer.

You may believe you're getting a bargain, however one of the risks you take is that if things go wrong you could have real problems and the manufacturer is absolutely not obliged to assist you in anyway.

Having regularly bought and sold on eBay I can say that the good far outweigh the bad but even then I'd seriously think twice before buying something complex like a SatNav system knowing that the backup may not be there if required.
mrstella
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well tomtom have finally confused the hell out of me.

They have finally confirmed today 4.5 weeks after i first reported the problem that they will not repair it under warranty even though i have sent them POP in the past, it was registered the day it was bought and i have had 3 dealings with returns etc in the past.

So in fact have been left with nearly £500's worth of junk if tomtom support have anything to say.

However in a stroke of luck a week ago i received a refurbed 910 from guess who, tomtom support 8O so either the front line support staff are talking rubbish or someone has dropped a , either way whilst i am happy at having it replaced the support situation seems terrible in this instance.

But remember to keep that POP in a safe place otherwise you could be stuffed.

Also it does open up another question, most shops are now using that thermal roll in there tills for generating receipts, whats the score if you have a proof of purchase but 17 months down the line it cannot be read cause the thermal paper has gone funny Question

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: