Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Uh-Oh, How Long Before SatNav is Targeted By Police?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Uh-Oh, How Long Before SatNav is Targeted By Police?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
HAND HELD DEVICES. If that is the case that could be deemed to incude most GPS devises as they are not permenantly fixed (grey area) and some have batteries for HAND HELD use.

It is the act of physically holding the device in your hand that is illegal. If the phone is in a holder then you can legally use it because you are not holding it.

If the law applied to GPS units (which it doesn't - yet) then the equivilent would be holding your GPS unit in your hand (or on your ear!) while you used it. If it was mounted on the dash then it would be OK.

I doubt that they could feasibly ban the use of ALL (non hand held) devices in a vehicle because such a ban would also cover use of car radios and potentially the controls used to operate the vehicle.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I heared one news report refer to mobile phones in this legislation as HAND HELD DEVICES. If that is the case that could be deemed to incude most GPS devises as they are not permenantly fixed (grey area) and some have batteries for HAND HELD use. IF not yet it is just one step away from it.

I can’t see that they could bring out any successful Legislation against Sat Nav’s, this would mean progress going backwards and the Sat Nav industry is now too big to stop, the future has got to be the progression of HUD, (Head-up Displays) as used successfully in the military.

Siemens VDO is already HERE, although at present it is built into a new production car, it won’t be far away before a workable “accessory” is developed for an add on.

The Police are already using equipment in this area, maybe Darren could give us a clue here.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:

I was going to reply to the other garbage that was posted in this thread, but if you and the other members of admin support the obvious majority opinion that speeding is ok and its all the fault of the camera then I don't see the point in trying to debate the issue.

I have never condoned speeding.
Quote:
I have NEVER said I agree with the plague of gatsos etc, in fact quite the opposite.

I have never said I have never exceeded the speed limit, so I'm not a liar as you imply.

Read it again, I never claimed that you had nor did I accuse you of being a liar!
Quote:
The only argument that I have is excessive speeding is wrong and no different than drink driving or any other premeditated offence, and that if the cameras are cash machines then that is the fault of the motorist who are unwilling to take responsobility for their own wrong actions.

Aboslutely. But I don't think anyone here is talking of excessive speeding! I'm talking of those occasions where a driver inadvertently exceeds the limit, the kind of occasion where a Police Officer would either overlook the matter or bend your ear and leave it at that!

Last edited by Darren on Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Speechless!

Why? Do you think it impossible to exceed a posted limit as a result of causal factors other than a premeditated act?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
Siemens VDO is already HERE, although at present it is built into a new production car, it won’t be far away before a workable “accessory” is developed for an add on.

The Police are already using equipment in this area, maybe Darren could give us a clue here.

Sorry, I left nearly 7 years ago, technology was very much more limited back then! Even now, mobile data links are uncommon in RPU cars, the DVLA link system is becoming more commonplace but still not widespread and I've never seen a HUD system installed in a patrol car?
tayldn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Satnav ban Reply with quote

I believe that I saw an article claiming that Satnav drivers have less accidents than non satnav drivers- on that basis I think it is highly unlikely the police will be interested in banning them.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why? Do you think it impossible to exceed a posted limit as a result of causal factors other than a premeditated act?

Not impossible but I believe in most cases the driver, me included, is aware they are driving over the limit. Equally, regarding the narrow lane I mentioned earlier with a 60 limit, a lot of drivers feel the need to drive up to that limit, without taking into account that someone, with their mentally, could be coming the other way, a closing speed of 120mph. I believe there is a case of reviewing all speed limits and decrease or increase them according to the road layout and conditions, maybe people would then take more notice. One example is when taking an exit from a French autoroute, where there are countdown markers 90, 70, 50kph. I take notice because even at 50kph it can be quite tight on the bend/s during the manoeuvre.

Quote:
limits are often poorly signed and the increase in other signs and distractions make it very hard at times to be aware of a limit.

That is what made me speechless.

Do people forget the limit, were they on the phone or fiddling inside the car and missed the sign? What would they do if they suddenly became unaware of the maximum speed limit on the road they were on?

Finally something for the minority of those who feel the need to speed.

You are knowingly travelling at 50mph in a 40mph limit, which could possibly be perfectly safe in the dry, but it starts raining really hard. I slow to 40mph. Something happens 100 yards ahead and the only way to avoid it is to brake. At 50mph in the wet it could take up to 116 yards to stop, whereas at 40mph it takes up to 80 yards. Guess who has a better chance of avoiding the obstruction? :D
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Quote:
limits are often poorly signed and the increase in other signs and distractions make it very hard at times to be aware of a limit.

Do people forget the limit, were they on the phone or fiddling inside the car and missed the sign? What would they do if they suddenly became unaware of the maximum speed limit on the road they were on?

I am not suggesting that for a minute. Consider a driver in an urban environment trying to make sense of a dozen road signs in a 100yd stretch who whilst negotiating this strays over the 30 limit and whilst doing so runs the gauntlet of a safety partnership van?

Anyway this thread was started to discuss opinions on the dangers of using a satnav and the danger of them being a distraction to the driver not yet another discussion about speeding in general. If we can't bring it back on topic then I'm going to lock it.
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: speed Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Lost_Property wrote:
Quote:

I am not suggesting that for a minute. Consider a driver in an urban environment trying to make sense of a dozen road signs in a 100yd stretch who whilst negotiating this strays over the 30 limit and whilst doing so runs the gauntlet of a safety partnership van?

Anyway this thread was started to discuss opinions on the dangers of using a satnav and the danger of them being a distraction to the driver not yet another discussion about speeding in general. If we can't bring it back on topic then I'm going to lock it.

If the speed limit was say 100 would you stray over to 110? I think not, don't drive at 30, drive at 28, giving you a 2mph margin. If you hit say a child at over 30mph there is much better change of serious injury or death. LEARN TO KEEP YOU SPEED DOWN !!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: speed Reply with quote

mrg20032 wrote:
If the speed limit was say 100 would you stray over to 110? I think not, don't drive at 30, drive at 28, giving you a 2mph margin. If you hit say a child at over 30mph there is much better change of serious injury or death. LEARN TO KEEP YOU SPEED DOWN !!
Well it's not 100 is it! If one were to stray over the limit it might be 2 or 3 mph whether the limit was 30, 50 or 70 so comment like that just demonstrate a lack of understanding of the issue.

If you're suggesting that a child is at considerably less risk being hit by a car at 28 or 32 mph then you're mistaken. It's not SPEED that kills, its innapropriate use of speed.

For the last time I am not condoning speeding, I am not suggesting that we all go hairing about at 100mph and I'm not suggesting that those who do should not be punished.

Thread now locked.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: