Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman support reply
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman support reply
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Navman support reply Reply with quote

Navman support say there is no known issues with the T1 module and wanted to know where i heard this, so they can reply. Watch this space .
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emails

Hi again . I have purchased a T1 module for my F20. I can not get any
signal at all to the unit. I have found out that there is a known
problem with the areal and reception. Why is this still being sold like
this ? and is there anything you can do to rectify the problem for me .

Dear Joseph,

I am sorry you are having problems with the T1 module. If you can call the technical support they can trouble shoot or organise a replacement.

We are still selling this because it is a hugely popular addition to the navman range and reliable. We are not aware of any issues with the units.

Where or who told you about the reception being a known problem with the T1 module? We would like the chance to respond to them

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us, we'll be more than happy to help.

I am trying a new antenna and buying adaptors, if it works it would be conclusive that what they say is in fact true. If so what would navman be prepared to do about it ?

Dear Joseph,

What would you like me to?

I am sorry but I don't understand as to what you would like me to do? replace the T1 module? Send out replacement accessories?

If you are using a different aerial to the Navman one supplied we cannot guarantee the product will work correctly

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us, we'll be more than happy to help.

There was nothing wrong with the unit its the antenna that's the problem and i found the solution to a problem that seems to be an issue with this product. I did point this out but you, but you seem to be burying your head in the sand and i am hitting my head against a brick wall trying to explain it to you. So me sending back the base unit would mean you sending it back saying its ok and in the mean time ill have no unit that i paid for and back to square one, when in fact your antenna is not up to the job in the UK. All i tried to do is highlight this and it would seem that your replies are rather offish towards me .

If you can give me the email of your superiors of even better your chief exec , ill explain the problem with them, maybe i can get some satisfaction there

Mr J C

END OF EMAILS FOR NOW

The last one from me was a bit snotty, but from what iv been reading on the net about this product and the antenna issue and for people to say they have complained to navman, and then navman say they are unaware of a problem worries me. That they either not getting any such complains or they are but wont except there is a problem at all and if you sort it out and tell them the solution. I was hoping for a goodwill gesture for the extra out lay that we all know a lot of us have to do to get this unit to work, but they are unprepared to do this . Maybe it would cost them to much with so many people asking the same ?
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok iv now written a letter to a Mr Bruce Swan Customer Services manager. If everyone with a problem with the antenna of the T1 unit does this, then maybe something will be done about this. I have started the ball rolling.

Sorry for my little crusade, but i don't like forking out good money on something that needs extra money spent just to get it working how it should out of the box .
tony60
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done in complaining,but it appears all the tmc add on's suffer from poorly supplied antenna.The Medion kit I purchased was no better and no solotion from Medion has been forthcoming.

Tony Rigby
gambitgander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty, do you have any idea how TMC works in reality? An RDS signal is sent from a data provider to your traffic receiver. In Navman's case, this data provider is ITIS. The signal is weaker than a radio signal and the coverage is sparse in some areas, soft of like mobile phone signal coverage in the early days. If you don't like the kit, then send it back. Complaining about the technology is not going to help, because it has simply not evolved to a point where it is 100% reliable. Some people are happy to use 50% of something rather than 100% of nothing. Of course extra antennas and boosters will improve the signal, but how much would you be prepared to pay? Almost anything is possible at a price.
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i understand how the technology works and i wanted the technology in my car . The only way to get this technology to work is by forking out extra money on new kit and reading many posts here to achieve my aim, . Your way of sending it back is going to get me TMC. I nether got one signal let alone 50%

It is a 100% reliable if you go out of your way and buy a new antenna. You may be happy to pay your money and get 50% of what you paid for , I'm happy to receive 100% and if i have to fight my corner, i will and wont roll over and give up or send something i want to work back, as what alternative have i got apart from the T1 ?

Your reply of if you don't like it send it back is neither helpful or warranted. The fact is i do like the kit. I do like the kit but followed other helpful peoples advise and got it to do what it should do . Or are the people who have had the same problem wrong as well ?
tony60
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I aggree 100% withn Dusty,the sat nav suppliers aren't advertising this kit as being under development but as a serios navigating aid. Thanks to this forum and the advice that I have read I got My Medion tmc to operate far better on an external Maplin Antenna. We need to ask the question of the suppliers why they aren't supplying the correct parts in the first place.
Thanks to all the people who have taken the time to pass their infomation into this forum.

Tony
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, we want the kit and have no other option than to get a 3rd party parts to make it work . Sending it back and going oh well is not a solution to me having traffic reports . Its best that i sort it out and highlight the problem and get some sort of recon pence. That way i get what i payed for and some redress for the extra lay out . I certainly don't get traffic reports if i say it don't work and send it back, where as now thanks to the guys on here i do .
malcolmb1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may not want to hear this but I'm starting to conclude that the Navman TMC may not be particularly suitable FOR THE UK but useable elsewhere with the supplied antenna.

The reason for my saying this is that I got a TMC unit for use with my 530 and had intermittent UK reception. When I took the channel tunnel I had TMC reception before unloading from the shuttle and LONG before (half way to the Belgian border) before I had a decent GPS fix.

I was mad as hell to discover that my 530/TMC combination was not compatible with the services here in Holland and ended up buying a local (Benelux) F20. The service here is excellent but there are still occasional "dead spots". Very often I connect power to the TMC unit before inserting the F20 into the cradle and by the time the F20 has booted up and I've selected the navigation screen I've got a whole bunch of TMC reports.

I think a factor in the service difference is that there are a lot more stations broadcasting TMC information here and possibly with greater signal strength which gives a better chance of getting a usable signal.

It would be interesting to find out if anyone with equipment from another manufacturer has had a similar experience.
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two days with the new antenna the unit has been flawless .
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

malcolmb1963 wrote:
It would be interesting to find out if anyone with equipment from another manufacturer has had a similar experience.

Read This from a TT user.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more reply to gambitgander. You state the technology is not 100% reliable and not evolved . Is this your expert opinion? and fact, if fact why was it sold with out a warning stating that ? In any case i was on a loose loose situation wasn't i . Goods that are a 100% reliable but sent with an inferior antenna that makes it non reliable or a product that is not reliable in the first place and has not evolved for the advertised purpose, and not pre warned of the case by the manufacturer.

Maybe trading standards should be highlighted to all of this .
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malcolmb1963 wrote:
You may not want to hear this but I'm starting to conclude that the Navman TMC may not be particularly suitable FOR THE UK but useable elsewhere with the supplied antenna.

Yes, these are the exact same experiences with the TomTom and Garmin units - the supplied antennas are suitable in nearly every country, except the UK (although I do occasionally hear of problems in rural France too). The problem in the UK is simply down to the limited strength radio signals broadcast in the UK.

The easiest fix is to connect the TMC unit into the car aerial feed, which is very difficult on the TomTom and common Garmin units (no connectors), but easier with the Navman, as the "poor" antenna has a connector, allowing a replacement / connection to the car to be used in it's place.

What would be good would be for Navman to release / resell some suitable car aerial connection cables + splitter...
malcolmb1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like there might be enough disgruntled users to get the attention of BBC Watchdog . It would at least draw attention to the issue - whether it is inferior equipment (for the UK) or poor signal. There's probably a lot of money being spent for poor results.
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its an idea, Need to gage if there is user support as one or two people complaining would result in nothing .

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: