Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie which unit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie which unit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
red-dragon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Newbie which unit Reply with quote

Forgive me if this isn't the proper place to post this question, I am looking to buy a SatNav system primarily for info on speed cameras but also for navigation/mapping. I am looking to spend £150 ~ £200. It seems to me that to get the most from your camera updates it would be useful to know which units are the most compatible with the database. I have looked at the R66 Chicago 6000, Navman ICN720 and the Street Pilot C510 and now my head hurts.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated Confused Confused Confused
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not going to help you decide, but you should be looking at the TomTom "One" as well! Smile

(It's the best, by the way, if that helps Wink )
Five_Knuckle_Shuffle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garmin does what the tomtom units do better and for less, I have just purchased the street pilot c510 deluxe which has life time free tmc and full european mapping. The mapping of europe is much better than tomtom's software as tomtom like to miss countries out. Tomtom one is impressive, i used my brothers for a month but c510 is quicker and a mush more quality package in my opinion. What ever you do dont purchase a Cartrek 400s, their website show details of a very impressive unit, but its utterly useless and mine went back for a full refund. you can see it here www.cartrek400.com
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Red-dragon
Welcome to the forum

Good advise from andy and five-K-S. Thumbs Up I suppose someone will have to fight Navmans corner. I've had the 720 for almost a year now and I'm happy as larry. With the SiRFstarIII™ gps it's pretty damn quick, Full 7 didgit postcode search, and a nice wide screen to boot. Optional TMC is a little lame out the box but can be fixed, but poi's won't take the full speed zoned camera database easily, but is better with the consolidated by type database. TOM TOM I believe is better for poi's.

As for your head I suggest Asprin. On Fire

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mostdom"]I've had the 720 for almost a yearquote]

Typo *SB icn750

Same model but with europe maps.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
red-dragon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I am inclined to buy the R66 Chicago 6000 as reading through the on line manual it shows that you can set the unit for routes by car or truck, as I am one of those people who tow a caravan from time to time, this would seem to be useful. Does the Garmin c510 have this facility, and does the R66 have any major short falls ?

Thanks
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also consider the Mio 510 and 710. They do everything that the others can do in free traffic info etc, but have the big advantage that the speed cam alerts are directional, so you don't get spurious alarms for cameras on the opposite carriageway or on nearby roads.

Sal
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

red-dragon wrote:
Thanks for the info. I am inclined to buy the R66 Chicago 6000 as reading through the on line manual it shows that you can set the unit for routes by car or truck, as I am one of those people who tow a caravan from time to time, this would seem to be useful. Does the Garmin c510 have this facility, and does the R66 have any major short falls ?

Thanks

Just check that his facility does what you may be expecting. On most nav units (TomTom and Garmin at least) all it does is determine the speed your vehicle and work out estimated arrival times etc. It won't avoid unsuitable roads and it doesn't know about low or narrow bridges.

I have both TomTom (PDA V6) and GARMIN nuvi 660. The 660 is a really nice product. As mentioned elsewhere - the mapping is much better and the routing is more accurate. I live out in the countryside and have several 'green tracks' in the area. TomTom always tries to route me down them - with the nuvi I get the choice as they are correctly marked as non-driveable (unless you have serious 4WD - like in a tractor - a mate of mine got his Landrover stuck on one of them). You get free for life TMC with the receiver included and most of Europe (more than TomTom covers).

If you want more the new 670 has North America and Europe on the one unit.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: